Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

Gen GMT MasterII raffle at RWG2

trailboss99

Ever wanted a gen GMTII? Have a looky HERE

$100 a ticket, 45 tickets, max 2 per member.. Great odds and a great prize! Only a few left.

IMG_4737.jpg

Col.

greg_r

yikes - $100 bet on a 1-in-45 chance?

That's a lot of scratch to gamble in one go. Don't mind betting on a game of skill (used to win quite a bit playing poker once upon a time), but wouldn't even consider this kind of thing personally (at least not at this level - $5 a ticket to win a rep is a different matter). Sucker betting. But hey, whatever floats...

trailboss99

What's a GMT worth? 6 grand plus? The odds are oke considering the return. I wonder about the legalities of a rafle like this however. Do't know about the US but it would be a big no no here.

Col.

greg_r

Well, the odds may be reasonable, but it's still a sucker bet. One thing you can guarantee is that 44 people are going to be down $100 :rolleyes: Legalities would be dodgy here too at that level of value - not that there's anything inherently wrong with it, but the laws on raffles etc over here are pretty tough.

Anyhow, don't pay too much attention - I'm just being cynical. No criticism intended of RWGJr - just that I'm not keen on gambling when it gets up to this kind of level. $5 you can drop and not miss, $100 is a little beyond what I would consider an acceptable loss. That's just me, though - good luck to anybody who enters!

JoeyB
What's a GMT worth? 6 grand plus? The odds are oke considering the return. I wonder about the legalities of a rafle like this however. Do't know about the US but it would be a big no no here.

Col.

The new ceramic is about $6K. The GMTII was $4200 before that. Used on ebay I'd guess a GMT in very good condition might bring $3000.

JohnG

Col.

The new ceramic is about $6K. The GMTII was $4200 before that. Used on ebay I'd guess a GMT in very good condition might bring $3000.

Yup.

$7500 take for the forum minus $3000 value of watch equals $4500 profit for the forum. Jesus, at least the gen 177h at RG only netted the forum about $500. This raffle makes the organizers sound a little fucking greedy. :rolleyes:

AustinTech

Thats out-fucking-ragious. You gotta be a DA to do that and support a forum that wants to make 2X what an AD would changed for a used GMT.

Nuts.

phaedo

Col.

Yup.

$7500 take for the forum minus $3000 value of watch equals $4500 profit for the forum. Jesus, at least the gen 177h at RG only netted the forum about $500. This raffle makes the organizers sound a little fucking greedy. :rolleyes:

$7500? By my maths 45 tickets at $100 each is $4500; add to that this is a vintage piece. I am surprised there are still tickets left, considering how fast the RG raffle went for the Pam. This is a lot more of a grail piece than a nearly new pam.

JohnG
Wait - looks like this is worth about $6,500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-VINTAGE-GMT-MAST...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Guys I was almost dead asleep last night.

I said 7500 bucks - simple multiplication was failing me. I thought it was 75 tix. Wrong on value too - as AT shows.

Looks like a good thing after all....

trailboss99

I thought it was 75 tix. If it's worth somewhere around 5.5 to 6.5 gees I'd be in if I had the bux. Also remember that there are a lot of folk on these fora for whome 100 smackers is chump change. I, to my regret am not one of those but I like the odds. I didn't think you could buy a vintage GMTII for 3 grand :rolleyes:

Gray and Sons seem to sell 'em for about 6 to 7. Mind you that's serviced and warrented. Would have been a nice touch if it had done a trip to Ziggy first but the return seems reasonable.

Col.

trailboss99

Nope, my bad, it's 45 tix and the watch generaly sells between 3750 and 4500 tho as stated G&S want considerably more. My math must have been out last night when I posted. Either that or I hit the wrong key. There's only 6 or 7 hundred in it at the most for RWG. More than fair IMO. How often do you get a one in 45 chance of geting a real nice gen for 100 bucks?

Col.

greg_r

Yup - only 45 tickets, so $4500 return. No doubt there will be a modest contribution for the board and a fair return for the original owner of the watch. There's certainly nothing to criticise over the way its being run (unsurprisingly - RWGJr does these things exceptionally well). It just ain't my kinda gambling, that's all :rolleyes:

JoeyB
Wait - looks like this is worth about $6,500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-VINTAGE-GMT-MAST...%3A1%7C294%3A50

That's a "Fat Lady" GMTII. I haven't a clue what that is, but there are at least 3 more of those under $2000 right now. There are two vintage GMT Master Pepsi, but again I'm no expert. These look the same as the one up for auction to me. The first one is a 1997, the 2nd is an older 16750.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-ROLEX-SS-GMT-MAST...3A1%7C294%3A200

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-GMT-Master-16750...3A1%7C294%3A200

Reddons1

There's lots of pulling figures out of the sky going on here, two facts are...

(1) The is a modest return to the forum

(2) The watch is costing more than some of these guesses.

There's one other point, RWG is, has always been and will always be a non profit board, all monies raised go to the upkeep of the board.

Edit; @JoeyB that second link looks like a rep to me.

Edited by Reddons1

greg_r
There's lots of pulling figures out of the sky going on here, two facts are...

(1) The is a modest return to the forum

(2) The watch is costing more than some of these guesses.

There's one other point, RWG is, has always been and will always be a non profit board, all monies raised go to the upkeep of the board.

Edit; @JoeyB that second link looks like a rep to me.

Yup - pretty much echos my last post. No argument at all :D

trailboss99

First two points excepted without any doubt.

This point goes without saying, allways has, allways will be. RWG2 (RWI too) exists for it's members, period.

Col.

houndoggie

I participated in RG's gen PAM raffles.. usually only 30 tix are sold, only 1 per. So the price per ticket is steeper but odds are better. I lost every raffle, but did come in 2nd in one and received a nice SanDave strap that covered the entry fee.

RolexAddict

:D:monkeyspank::clap:

so much ignorants watch lover, so fragile, so much naive and innocent members,

after the A7750 sec. at 6 and the graphite coating :clap: , after the mystic of the swiss ETA 2836 Chinese copy (with more holes on the original auto module gears) , after... after... lot of bullshit internet gurus talking...

Now, the big raffle to "win" a gen Rolex..........

Please, stop to take people for idiots, :angry:

If I could get some gurus localisation, I would make a courtesy home visit and a "cleaning" with my .45 caliber tool :D:D

just kidding, :D

Edited by RolexAddict

By-Tor
That's a "Fat Lady" GMTII. I haven't a clue what that is, but there are at least 3 more of those under $2000 right now.

Gen GMT's sold under $2000?

100% original 1675 (that was auctioned at RWG) is worth a lot more than 16750 or 16710. You're not even comparing the same watch.

I've never seen a legit GMT (any model) selling for less than $3K... not once. Not even the beat up ones. Due to recession there might be some 16710's without paperwork close to 3K but claiming "under 2K" is just ridiculous (and putting all GMT's into the same price basket) proves that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

The 2nd auction you linked still has 5 days left.

PS: RWG.cc admin team has NEVER received one single PENNY. It's very insulting to even hint anything else. I have even paid the postage from my own pocket when I have borrowed watches for the reviews. Reading "veiled allegations" that some people have posted in this thread (of the RWG admin team) just makes me SICK.

Edited by By-Tor

prestigewatchco

I would love to buy Gen Gmt at around $2000 but I never seem to see them on offer all are closer to $3500.

What would be the point of a raffle if the total procceds were going to be less than the value of the item?

The whole idea is that the profit left over after the buying of the watch is then put towards running the forum. I really don't see any problem with that at all.

There are too many members ready to jump on anything Admin do on any of the fora.

If the cheap fuckers were to become paid up supporters or ViP's there would be no need for the fora to run raffles etc it would support it's self by contributions.

alphakazi
That's a "Fat Lady" GMTII. I haven't a clue what that is, but there are at least 3 more of those under $2000 right now.

Gen GMT's sold under $2000?

100% original 1675 (that was auctioned at RWG) is worth a lot more than 16750 or 16710. You're not even comparing the same watch.

I've never seen a legit GMT (any model) selling for less than $3K... not once. Not even the beat up ones. Due to recession there might be some 16710's without paperwork close to 3K but claiming "under 2K" is just ridiculous (and putting all GMT's into the same price basket) proves that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

The 2nd auction you linked still has 5 days left.

PS: RWG.cc admin team has NEVER received one single PENNY. It's very insulting to even hint anything else. I have even paid the postage from my own pocket when I have borrowed watches for the reviews. Reading "veiled allegations" that some people have posted in this thread (of the RWG admin team) just makes me SICK.

and for that to be By-Tors 1st post here - a shame really

I've always enjoyed your reviews By-Tor and was hoping for something... else

By-Tor

----

Edited by By-Tor

iabounty

I'm going to take 2 Miller Highlifes and check back with y'all in the mornin..............

prestigewatchco

Well I for one am not suprised at By-Tor's post.

I think I would have been pissed as well if I had given my time and money to providing a service only to have it suggested that I was party to some kind of fraud.

It never ceases to amaze me why any member would give a toss about any member of admin getting anything out of it so what if they are they have to spend endless hours listening to whinging members complaining about this or that.

If the members think it's such a gravy train they should become Admin or better still start their own forum then they can keep all the alleged money that is being put to personal use by the admin and site owners. Think you will find that you see more fridays than paydays in the real world and that all the rep forums are struggling to kep afloat rather than having the heaps of cash in the slush funds some members beleive exist