Sign in to follow this  
gottahaverolex

My DIY for removing ugly blue AR

gottahaverolex

Finally I hope I have something worthy to contribute other than wristies and emoticons. Here we go!

I HATE BLUE AR!!!!! It makes my Pam's look so fake I hate wearing them. So I decided that enoughis enough and I'm gonna have to fix this on my own as I am not spending $100 plus on an AR job for a $99 watch. Here is what I did by researching and it worked AMAZINGLY!

I forgot to take a pick before I started so here is my Fiddy with exactly the same case and crystal as my 203, just for reference.

The blue menace:

4122d957.jpg

Start by de-casing the movement obviously because the AR is on the inside of the crystal.

Next take a dremel tool with the little buffing wheel attatchment. Make sure you cut one in half and screw it onto the bit then scew on a full buffing wheel so that there is no chance of the tip hitting the crystal:

83eb8ce0.jpg

Next take automotive rubbing compound and put a drop or two directly on the crystal ( the polish will come later!)

acef85a4.jpg

Use the buffing pad to spread the compound on the crystal so it doesn't fly everywhere when you turn the dremel tool. Now you can turn the dremel on about 1/4 speed and poish away!

cb0eae22.jpg

It will take several changes of buffing wheels and applications of compound o get rid of the AR completely. After you have been very thorough and made sure you got all the AR off wipe it down really well so that all the rubbing compound is gone.

19f21c1e.jpg

Now repeat the same process with the automotive polish to make sure that any hazing gets completely shiny again. There wasn't any on mine but I just did the polish as a precaution.

Now wipe it down again getting every last speck of polish out of the cracks of the case and off the crystal. I used several micro fibers for cleaning glasses to make sure it was perfect. If you don't change the cloth several times you'll just smear polish on it again and it will never be completely clear.

The finished product:

108d206b.jpg

Now some comparison shots, notice the edges mostly where the blue is most obvious. I had a hard time taking good pics in the direct sunlight.

358cd47c.jpg

e2b878cf.jpg

f9878336.jpg

7d08e306.jpg

And that's it! An easy do-it-yourself AR removal that works!

Regards,

GHR

daniel8888

nice 1 Mate, love the new colorless glass :)

gottahaverolex

Thanks man! To me, no AR is better than Blue AR :)

daniel8888
Thanks man! To me, no AR is better than Blue AR :)

I hate the Blue AR on pams too, it literally screams "Fake" haha:)

hytbibhatype

Great write up! Watch looks great! Does it make the crystal weaker?

SeanusMaximus

I dont have the confidence in myself to do this to my 292j, so will have to send it to someone me thinks :) Good post though, and good job mate!

NCRich

Nice job. Is that fiddy from Robert's $99 line?

gottahaverolex
Nice job. Is that fiddy from Robert's $99 line?

It sure is! And it's getting the AR removal tonight! It'll look fantastic then :)

gottahaverolex
I dont have the confidence in myself to do this to my 292j, so will have to send it to someone me thinks :) Good post though, and good job mate!

No confidence needed bro! If you can take a movement out you can do this. Pretty much impossible to screw up as the compound isn't coarse enough to scratch the crystal.

gottahaverolex
Great write up! Watch looks great! Does it make the crystal weaker?

I would say no. You are polishing the AR off not removing material from the crystal itself. You'd need something like diamond paste to wear the crystal away. I still advise you are careful when doing this though as stranger things can happen

Silverspeed

Very nice tutorial...and a huge improvement! :)

gottahaverolex
Very nice tutorial...and a huge improvement! :)

Thank you kind sir!

mspangl

Nice tutorial and write up !

Thanks for sharing :)

Btw shouldn't you change your name to gottahavepam?`:)

AGL

Now to find out how to remove a movement... Buy a dremel tool and get it done! Amazing review... My 111 will be wearable again! :)

Del

Nice mod, well done! :)

gottahaverolex
Now to find out how to remove a movement... Buy a dremel tool and get it done! Amazing review... My 111 will be wearable again! :lol:

It's super easy AGL, if you need a walk through with pics just PM me. I love helping out!

gottahaverolex

I will be doing my Fiddy, Depth Gauge and 113 in the next day or so. I'll post before and after pics incase anyone is interested.

NCRich

Couple of screws, then remove the stem?

AustinTech

This is useful. Thanks!

gottahaverolex
Couple of screws, then remove the stem?

Those couple of screws and stem are pretty terrifying the first time though! LOL

gottahaverolex
This is useful. Thanks!

My pleasure AT! It's great not having to pay somebody to work on your watches.

gottahaverolex

Watch No. 2 depth gauge

Before:

c50ef38c.jpg

After:

b530b98f.jpg

:) tomorrow the Fiddy!

Drhulee

I hate the blasted rep blue and purple AR too. Actually I don't think it's even actual AR, more likely just some coloured paint :)

I used the Dremel method a couple of times, but then found a post recommending the use of AutoSol (German metal polish). Just a dab of it, plus about 30 minutes of rubbing it into the Sapphire with just a finger and the AR was gone. Done it about ten times now, and only had problems (nor really problems, just took longer than 30 minutes) with one crystal.

cremona

doooo mine for meeee

acharria

Nice DIY..

Thanks

The watch looks awesome now...