Sign in to follow this  
gottahaverolex

My DIY for removing ugly blue AR

gottahaverolex
Nice DIY..

Thanks

The watch looks awesome now...

Thanks Andres! Now it's ready for one of the X.mas straps you made for me. They should get here and day now :thumbsup2:

gottahaverolex

Fiddy before:

4122d957.jpg

After:

d9ef2d1e.jpg

watch.aholic

^^^^^^^^^^ The fiddy looks so much better minus the blue AR.......Great job.......What a pity, it still is too daunting for me to attempt on my own....

gottahaverolex
^^^^^^^^^^ The fiddy looks so much better minus the blue AR.......Great job.......What a pity, it still is too daunting for me to attempt on my own....

Send it to me and I'll do it for you. I'm waiting on one from Cremona at the moment. All I ask is you pay shipping both ways but no charge for removing the AR. LMK!

watch.aholic

Send it to me and I'll do it for you. I'm waiting on one from Cremona at the moment. All I ask is you pay shipping both ways but no charge for removing the AR. LMK!

Thanks pal for your generous offer to help. I will surely grab your offer & be in touch. :dingleberry-nemesis:

WatchMe007

First let me say that I really like the end result. However...

The more I learn, the more bizarre this hobby becomes. I have several gen watches, and the irony here is that

guys who really get into gen watches end up modding them. I am looking for the references, but I swear I there is a guy who mods watches by ADDING bluish and other tinted ARs to give almost a "sunglass" look that some people are willing to pay for.

So sometimes our quest for perfection is misplaced in the sense that there is no such thing. I think I have mentioned that, for example, when I bought my gen Explorer II from an AD they switched the black face for a white one which made the combination of hands and dial/ face unique before it left the store. I forget what the difference was from 15 years ago...but I suspect that "experts" would look at it and cry foul. LOL.

I guess the point is that we should do what pleases our eye and not stress so much over some the more obscure "tells". Having said this, if my PAM 112 that is incoming from Mary has the "blue menace" I will be PMing the OP with an offer to remove it for me. LOL.

Let me be the first to coin the term "GHR treatment" to denote a Crystal that has had the blue menace removed.

One day we will see a member sale:

"I know I am going to regret this guys, but here it is. Up for grabs is my franken-grail PAM xxx V5 Ultimate AAAA with the full GHR treatment, VAC lume, siggyfied, quazmo-flexed, BMM modified, with a squeenox crown on one of Palldango's NATO croc rubber deployments. Blessed with Holy Water by Francisco. Guaranteed stated Swiss movement. Serviced after every meal. Just a couple of desk diving marks. Otherwise perfect. Just not getting any wrist time. Franken because it has gen minute hand.

$7500 firm

No low ball offers. Don't waste my time. I will be accepting applications to determine if you are worthy enough to buy this watch. Payment in $100 bill US only. I will ship once I have received cash and have verified it's authenticity.

Location EU (Nigeria)"

gottahaverolex

Although I see your point the reason for removing the blue AR is to make it look at least close to a real Panerai. Do all the pams I remove AR from still have flaws, absolutely. Does it make it look at least closer to what a gen does? Absolutely. My opinion is that anyone that spends several thousand on making a rep look gen is a fool and should just go by the gen. I enjoy working in watches as it relaxes me and this us an easy thing to do to slightly improve the visual appeal of the watch. I'm not after perfection and especially from a $99 rep.

On another note I have found that it's easier to remove the AR with the crystal removed so that is how if done the last 3. It takes half the time and gives a better overall result. If you are going to try this mod in your own just hold the case with both hands and press on the inside of the crystal at the edge of the case. It will pop right out. Remove the AR, clean the crystal edge real well and then sit the crystal back in the case. Turn it over and lay it in a towel on a hard surface. Use the palm of your hand to lean on the case until you hear the crystal pop and re-seat. done!