Sign in to follow this  
bubbaa

Polishing question, Please Help!

bubbaa

Hello fellow members, I have a question and love to get some input.

I'm debating if I should bring my gen JLC Platinum One Reverso to AD to get some very fine scratches out. I have heard that by polishing your watch would depreciate it's value, is this statement true? I have attached pic showing the scratches.

JLC_P1_01.jpg

houndoggie

Polishing your watch will not depreciate it's value

omni

When I've sent watches in for factory servicing through an AD (including platinum cases), it always came back polished, although for Panerai, I was asked first if they could polish it. I doubt it will decrease the value, probably help keep its value. Nice expensive gen., at that price its considered just like jewelry which gets polished all the time without losing value? Not so subtle show & tell. :lol:

flottiglia

No it won't affect the value at all.In the long term dial replacements can de-value a vintage piece but not minor case dressing.

As Omni says its common practice to do this when a gen goes for service.My wifes gen Oyster Perpetual came back from Rolex with some case refinishing.They wanted to change the dial too but i said no.

bubbaa

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to get it polish. I brought this piece from a private dealer/watch repair guy that I known for years. What surprises me that he doesn't want to service/repair watches anymore. I guess he's making too much $$$ trading. I think I will hold on to this piece for another 10 years, sell it and put in my kid's college fund.

michaelkhleb

how much is that thing actually worth ??

honeybear

If you frequent sites like Timezone, you'll see that sellers list the fact that their watch hasn't been polished as a positive, since the process does remove a layer of metal. I think this is more of an issue with gold watches, since with platinum, scratches are displacements of the metal, as opposed to the removal of the metal, and the polishing process doesn't remove any metal.

honeybear

By the way, the watch in question appears to be a rare limited edition of 500 with a MSRP of over $50K!