sconehead

Removing 6497 movement from Pam 111h...

sconehead

Here’s a quick tuto on how to de-case your Pam for any of you out there who aren’t sure how to do it...

Here’s a selection of tools you may find useful, when I do any work on my watches, I always do it over a micro-fibre cloth. If you drop any small parts it has the knack of catching them instead of them bouncing into oblivion off a hard surface.

pamdecase1.jpg

Removing the strap using a mobile phone precision screwdriver set off the bay, good quality at a cheap price, ideal for screws too big for jewellers screwdrivers.

20062009036l.jpg

I make a habit of putting the bracelet/strap screws back onto the watch head so I can’t misplace them.

20062009037n.jpg

Lift up the cg lever and remove the two screws,

20062009038.jpg

20062009039.jpg

Notice in this pic the crown just pulled out of the movement, this shouldn’t happen at this stage and is the reason why I’m working on the watch,

20062009040g.jpg

Next, remove the caseback. I’m using an ‘Horb’ it’s basically a rubber ball that you press firmly against the caseback and twist, works everytime,

20062009043l.jpg 20062009044d.jpg

This is the screw that should hold/release the crown stem. You only need to turn it approx. 2 turns to release the stem.

(DO NOT COMPLETELY UNSCREW IT!!!)

20062009045.jpg

Remove the two movement holder screws and tabs,

20062009046.jpg

20062009047n.jpg

I find a small piece of rodico on the end of a toothpick is an invaluable tool for picking up or positioning the screws/tabs,

20062009048.jpg

Place a piece of greaseproof paper over the movement,

20062009049.jpg

Turn the watch over whilst holding the paper in position to support the movement,

20062009050r.jpg

20062009051.jpg

Finally, replace the caseback finger tight onto the watch head and put the crown back in the tube to prevent dust etc getting on the inside of the watch/crystal. Place the movement in a movement vice/holder, taking care to position it carefully so as not to foul/damage the balance spring and cover with a bowl or put in a suitable container, again to prevent dust/debris getting into the movement.

20062009052.jpg

05072009105.jpg

Remember, I'm self taught working on watches but these methods work for me. If the more knowledgeable members think I'm doing anything incorrectly, let me know and I'll edit this post accordingly...

Next mini-tuto, removing the dial/handset and replacing a sheared set lever screw...

Cheers, Bobby... :lol:

houndoggie

Nice tutorial. I did this twice today.. Once to replace the hands on my calistyle homage and then to take it apart to get the dust I left on inside of the crystal off.

sconehead

I know/feel your pain ;) ...still practice makes perfect and often the best way to learn is by mistakes...

alphakazi

nice work scone

I lost quite a bit of motivation on my last repair - my gf's LV (a diamond marker fell off) - but uh... yea, the crystal is domed and I used the wrong die

I'll post pics of my watchmaker endeavors soon ;) suffice it to say, I need to replace the crystal

Luthier

Scone, great, thanks!!!

RolexAddict

nice job,

I had a Pam (already re-sold) with the same movement, but the movement was hold in the case only with 2 screws -no tabs- with a large head.

The head of the screws was in contact with the case.

To extract the movement I had to screw a little the screws, then to make a rotation to align these screws head with 2 notches on the case

greg_r

Great post, Scone! Here, have a sticky!

sticky.jpg

onzenuub

Nice job monkey.

Dr.Manhatten

nice!! i like.

alphakazi
nice job,

I had a Pam (already re-sold) with the same movement, but the movement was hold in the case only with 2 screws -no tabs- with a large head.

The head of the screws was in contact with the case.

To extract the movement I had to screw a little the screws, then to make a rotation to align these screws head with 2 notches on the case

:lol: love the avi - sleeping behind a 747 cockpit... why not

pollux1

Bloody good write up mate, nicely photographed too. :lol:

Drhulee

Just came across this, wish I had ages ago :irish_dance:

One question, well request. Next time you're working on a 6497 or A7750, could you take some close-ups of where the movement holder is pressing against the movement. I'm never quite sure of which grooves to use, and which areas (beside avoiding the balance wheel) on the movement to close the vice on. So I'm trying to get various members techniques documented.

nicnjon

I have a query regarding the crown:

Can the crown stem be detached from the crown?

I intend to replace the crown on my PAM 111

Thanks

Silverspeed

Thanks

Yes if you hold the stem with pliers (not on the stem threads!) you can unscrew the crown from the stem. Sometimes the crown is glued on to the stem....heating the stem/crown with a lighter will soften the glue.

Be sure to measure the thread lenght before putting on the new crown...that way it will be easier to get the right lenght for the new crown

Member X

Great thread :)

I will be referring to this shortly I think! lol

nicnjon

Thanks

Yes if you hold the stem with pliers (not on the stem threads!) you can unscrew the crown from the stem. Sometimes the crown is glued on to the stem....heating the stem/crown with a lighter will soften the glue.

Be sure to measure the thread lenght before putting on the new crown...that way it will be easier to get the right lenght for the new crown

Thanks very much ! appreciate that

speedzmaster

Did I miss something? There are 2 different movements shown. :rofl:

sconehead
Did I miss something? There are 2 different movements shown. :clap:

Correct, the other movement was the donor for a sheared set lever...:Whistle:

Member X

Ok, I need to do this soon...

I need to transplant an ebay cheapy (with no proper CG) into a Jackson case (with proper CG and pressure-fit crown).

My question is this...

How long do you need to make the new stem for the pressure-fit crown?

The current one does not press in at all, so surely the new crown that can press in a bit to seal it properly will force the stem 'into' the movement?? ;)

level z

IMHO you should put back the stem into the movement to prevent the rachet gear from dropping off ... i m a noob too ... i may be wrong ... peace ...

sconehead

Bump for Corv99...:D

Corv99

Yay!! thanks Mate, book marked now! :B)::thumbsup:

coolpan

thank you very much for this thread :)

binder

Thanks for the pics and writeup

Pure B

Pics are deleted from Photobucket