Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

www.homage-watches-guide.com

greg_r

Interesting URL for you to check out:

http://www.homage-watches-guide.com

Looks kinda familar, don't it? :)

I bought the domain on an impulse a few days ago (out of my own pocket I might add, not with the subscriber donations - all donations go towards the essentials we need to keep this place alive).

With the enthusiasm for homages around here lately - and the fact that we seem to be more on the ball with 'em than the other boards, it seemed to be worth picking up just in case it comes in handy.

The real question is, what would you guys like to do with it - if anything? No final decisions will be made without a board-wide vote, but for the time being I'd be very interested in your input, thoughts and suggestions. I have some thoughts of my own that I'll put forward in due course, but for now it's up to you guys - where do you want to take this?

trailboss99

You heard the man. Ideas please!

Col.

AustinTech

Hum...thinking...

houndoggie

Dealers section: Jackson Tse, Getat Watch, Prestige Sterile Watches 4 Direct Watch CO, Helenarou??? Also DSN, too I guess.

alphakazi

and so it begins...

greg_r

HD - cool. A homage dealer section is certainly an option.

Keep the ideas/comments coming, folks!

houndoggie

How about an Ask Robert section. He loves lots of noob questions. LOL

Member X

I think a section for homage dealers would be a great idea - anything that's an option to trawling through the jacksontse site is a good thing... lol

greg_r

:) I see your experience with Jackson Tse's site is similar to mine, MemberX :)

HD: I thought that was what RG was for? :P

Member X

I know I like to know everything somewhere offers with no hassle to find it, but that doesn't mean I want it all on one bloody page... LOL :)

Luthier

Greg, you are genius.

A few days ago I wanted to ask you to create new forum for homages lovers, that here, on RWG we can talk about reps, not about these ugly God-knows-what parodies on watch pieces of crap.

Ye, ye, ye... I do not understand homages, and never will. Sorry.

But - it's my personal opinion and you all are free to enjoy of these "no-name" shit, God bless.

Just for last few weeks here's nothing to read, 90% of threads about homages, so, it's brilliant idea to create new forum for homage lovers.

Thank you, Greg.

AustinTech

The dealers section would be awesome. We would pull in a lot of people, especially from the gen sites, who want a one-stop-shop for homages.

A sales section would be easy and good because it is all legal sales. No problems there. Plus, the costs of these watches is so low that even if someone gets a DOA or something like that, I would hope it would be the end of the world.

A review section, and a mod section would be needed also.

greg_r

Thanks AT - duly noted.

alphakazi
Greg, you are genius.

A few days ago I wanted to ask you to create new forum for homages lovers, that here, on RWG we can talk about reps, not about these ugly God-knows-what parodies on watch pieces of crap.

Ye, ye, ye... I do not understand homages, and never will. Sorry.

But - it's my personal opinion and you all are free to enjoy of these "no-name" shit, God bless.

Just for last few weeks here's nothing to read, 90% of threads about homages, so, it's brilliant idea to create new forum for homage lovers.

Thank you, Greg.

:) don't be so grouchy - as john would say " it's a brave NEW world" :D

the goal is having the identical rep made without the "name", sold for much cheaper, less legal issues and more fun with cheap mods - I don't feel like dabbling around with a $300 watch

but you have a good point Luth - we need to keep it in it's own box

greg_r

Thank you Luthier. Grouchy bastard :)

You've got a point, though. I'm increasingly leaning towards moving homages to their own section - but only if you guys want us to. Maybe we should have a vote in due course - let's see what the general feedback is in this thread first, though. One thing we're not going to do is set up a whole new board for homages - I've lost quite enough hair and sleep running just one board, thank you :D

Personally I don't see that there's a great difference between reps and homages - but then for me it's never really been about the name that's on the watch, because I don't really care what other people think. For me it's about the style and the movement.

greg_r

Thread moved to General Discussion - probably a better place for it at this stage.

alphakazi
Thank you Luthier. Grouchy bastard :D

You've got a point, though. I'm increasingly leaning towards moving homages to their own section - but only if you guys want us to. Maybe we should have a vote in due course - let's see what the general feedback is in this thread first, though. One thing we're not going to do is set up a whole new board for homages - I've lost quite enough hair and sleep running just one board, thank you ;)

Personally I don't see that there's a great difference between reps and homages - but then for me it's never really been about the name that's on the watch, because I don't really care what other people think. For me it's about the style and the movement.

I tried to quote you and kept getting an error lol :D

as you said greg, the style and movement. I'd like to add also build quality and price. From what I gather, homages are still far behind high end reps. The factories are probably not interested in that market... yet

It's all about supply and demand - if enough people demand it, they will start making high end homage/sterile... they're already making them, just need to skip out the extra time to put the "brand" on it

I think the legal issue with customs, etc. is the main reason they cost so much - with homage you eliminate that risk and the price goes down (just an inference)

I hope to see the very high end reps made Sterile soon or at least homage... then you could buy the logo later :) who cares if it get's lost in shipping, send another $5 logo... better than the whole watch being seized

I'm sure many factories will have no interest because for a wee bit more $, they put the logo on and boom, it's worth that much more. It'll take time... I'm probably oversimplifying things

People buy "name" brands for different reasons. Some want the quality while others only want the prestige and recognition of being able to afford a very expensive watch. I'm guilty of wanting to "show off" a sweet watch but when I go shopping in a mall or beat around the house, visit family, go eat dinner - I mean, for most of the time, I couldn't care less - I'll wear me gen Navi if I know there could be other watch buffs at a function and even then... I tell so many people about my fakes.. it's funny, people are MORE impressed to see a watch for $300 that normally costs $10 or $20,000 ;)

phaedo

Probably best to just have its own subforum here me thinks, and it may get a few more visitors here too with it. Realistically, I don't think there would be nearly as big a market for hommages than reps, because after all, the bulk of rep buyers are trying to show off their 'expensive' watch. These days, I am very picky about what watches I am after, so the majority of watches don't actually interest me. Now, find me a 5004 Big Pilot in sterile form with working PR, we may have to talk again...

greg_r

Phaedo: that's pretty much my thinking too. Possibly have a homage section of the board - maybe with a sales subforum. Maybe even a dealer section (if any dealers are interested).

... but only if you guys want it.

I'll leave this thread running a while longer and then we'll see if there's any general consensus - if so, we'll put together an option or two and have a poll about it.

Thanks again, guys - keep the suggestions coming.

Luthier
Thank you Luthier. Grouchy bastard :D

You've got a point, though. I'm increasingly leaning towards moving homages to their own section - but only if you guys want us to. Maybe we should have a vote in due course - let's see what the general feedback is in this thread first, though. One thing we're not going to do is set up a whole new board for homages - I've lost quite enough hair and sleep running just one board, thank you ;)

Grom Grouchy Bastard to Poor Bastard -- YES, WE WANT!!!

:rofl:

Alpha is absolutely right - I also think factories will never interested in making homages - printing the logo cost 5 cents, but price of replica will go down significantly. So, they lose big time. Customers demand? Guys... they sell absolutely everything they make!!!

They just don't give damn about conosseurs wishes. They make money.

Also Alpha absolutely right in reason why we buy reps. How many of us really have time to do modifications? We buy, wear and enjoy.

Personally I don't think homages have a future, it's just a short time fashion.

greg_r
Grom Grouchy Bastard to Poor Bastard -- YES, WE WANT!!!

:D

Alpha is absolutely right - I also think factories will never interested in making homages - printing the logo cost 5 cents, but price of replica will go down significantly. So, they lose big time. Customers demand? Guys... they sell absolutely everything they make!!!

They just don't give damn about conosseurs wishes. They make money.

Also Alpha absolutely right in reason why we buy reps. How many of us really have time to do modifications? We buy, wear and enjoy.

Personally I don't think homages have a future, it's just a short time fashion.

Fair enough. ;)

Mind, you, looking at the Cartier, Breitling, Chronoswiss and Tag look-alikes being sold as Accurist, Sekonda, Rotary and various other makes in the local jewelers earlier today, I find myself wondering just how short a life the homage thing might have ;)

They've been around for a loooong time - I owned a sterile Rolex homage almost 20 years ago and they've certainly been around the gen boards for quite a few years. There were plenty available on eBay back when I first got my account in about 2000 (I signed up with eBay at the time because I was looking for a watch - surprising how old habits stick with ya :rolleyes:;) ).

Oh well - the point is that the majority here will get to decide in due course. We're not talking about turning this place into a homages only place - we're just talking about whether we want to make a bit more of it alongside the regular nonsense. Up to you guys - if at the end of the day the majority vote not to do anything with it, then I'll keep the domain for a year and let it expire in due course - I'm only out a few bucks. Not a biggie :)

Luthier

OK, let's vote.

Count me as YES, and I'll contribute.

I'm definitely not a homages buyer, but it would be fun to see how far our guys imagination will go.

Besides... I'm... kind of... designer...?... so, I'm always eager to see interesting things.

So, my vote is YES!!!

Let's save Greg's bucks!

greg_r

Thanks, Luthier :rofl:

I'll leave this thread to run a few more days and then we'll see about getting a poll together.

alphakazi

some good points gentlemen

It seems Invicta is the largest homage company out there. Their parts are probably made in the same factories as reps or at least some of the parts.

Here's a PO for eg. http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=278343

or a Sub : http://latestinstyle.com/invicta-diver-sub...tic-p-1104.html

as I think you said Luth, many of the factories build certain parts - the case, for example which in itself is legal. Another factory makes the dial and ships them to yet another factory to have them assembled

Invicta may be buying from the same factory that produces rep cases and then have their own unique (and legal) parts made elsewhere...

The homage industry IS huge, greg has a good point, they've been around forever and you can see them in almost any joe blow watch shop.

also, I see cheapie homages that have totally different cases than ANY of the reps from our trusted dealers... this leads me to believe there are a load of factories producing parts

Clearly, there is a large demand - if we want our homages and good ones, I'm sure we'll get what we want if we ask for it

Ask and ye shall receive :rofl:

JohnG
Phaedo: that's pretty much my thinking too. Possibly have a homage section of the board - maybe with a sales subforum. Maybe even a dealer section (if any dealers are interested).

... but only if you guys want it.

I'll leave this thread running a while longer and then we'll see if there's any general consensus - if so, we'll put together an option or two and have a poll about it.

Thanks again, guys - keep the suggestions coming.

+1

Maybe a subforum if the guys want it, but I would wait to see if the craze will end. I am loving them but with the limited selection it may not last long - could run through most of the options soon....

I tend to read GD only - we are small enough still that everything fits there. Keeps it lively - too spread out = dead subforums, no action....

Anyway, if the homages stay popular, we could start up the homage place.... dunno, kinda like it here, hate to split my time with yet ANOTHER forum....

As to little bitches complaining about homage talk on GD, fuck em, the more they bitch the more I will talk homages on General Discussion..... :rofl: