Sign in to follow this  
wat44

Olympics Seamaster

wat44

2431710-13460608-thumbnail.jpg

2431710-11837974-thumbnail.jpg

2431710-11837828-thumbnail.jpg

2431710-11837983-thumbnail.jpg

"Omega had a lot to talk about this year at Basel World. They showed us the new Planet Oceans with ceramic bezels and new movements, they showed us the new Speedmaster with co-axial chronograph movements, and the Lady Matic was a big deal for the fairer sex in that it represented a true women's watch with one hell of a serious movement inside.

But to me, Omega's most interesting release was something else - a Seamaster that resembles the very first Seamaster from 1948. The watch is techinically an Olympic-themed watch, determined as such by the pure coincidence that the last time London hosted the Olympics was in 1948, the year the Seamaster was introduced.

The watch features the very same dial layout that the original Seamaster had, and is sized at a lovely 38mm (is 38mm a new trend, btw?). Inside is Omega's fantastic co-axial movement and it comes on a great alligator strap. What I like about this watch is that it is every bit a classical Omega, but with a thoroughly modern caliber. This is a modern Omega I would wear.

This watch does, however, come with both an Olympic themed caseback and box. I love the watch, but I don't think the Olympic connection adds much to it. In fact, I think the watch would be stronger without it, in my very humble opinion. I have no doubt Omega can sell this watch to those that have some sort of a connection with the upcoming Olympic games, but I think this watch has the potential to be an object of global lust, one that catches the eye of vintage Omega fans who may not have been in love with some of their modern concoctions. It is a fantastic watch though, Olympics and all.

This Omega Seamaster 1948 Olympic watch will be released in an LE of 1,948 pieces and will be announced this summer. Expect the price to be around $6800. "

wat44

The formal name of this watch is the "Omega Seamaster 1948 Co-Axial "London 2012"' and the tie-in to the Olympics for the Seamaster is that the line was launched back in 1948, the same year that London last hosted the Olympics. This limited edition is a more than reminiscent of the original and sized similarly too. Though, when we were shown the watch in Basel it was described as 38mm, and now that it is official, it is listed as 39mm. Did it actually get bigger? Probably not. As of March 2011, the price of this watch was set at $6800. Inside is Omega's caliber 2202 with a power reserve of 48 hours.

For more information on the Omega Seamaster 1948 Co-Axial "London 2012 click here

czmilosz

Wow.

I love the look of this watch. The face is clean and sharp. The case design is classy and simple.

I'm not normally a fan of seconds as a subdial, but I think with this it fits VERY well.

houndoggie

Reppable

offshore

You must be getting old wat!

Thats an old mans watch!

I like it :gday_mate_haveabeer:

Lots!

O/S

wat44

you will like my post in daily wristies, then - old man!

wat44

A watch to eat Rhubarb with!

SubFrog

Nice watch!

I'm middle aged. fwiw :gday_mate_haveabeer:

greg_r

yup - I like it too. Also getting old... :lol:

Luthier

You mean - mature...

:lol:

chum_2000_uk
You mean - mature...

;)

Try typing that into google with safe search off

:D

vinnie007

Can't we ask a factory if they can produce it?

ThinkBachs

Nice to see they kept the gaudy stuff on the back- should sell a lot more that way! I likes it...

therockerz

I like it too. Would really like to see a rep :) ( A single correct one - not version 1, 2, 3, 4 etc..)