Sign in to follow this  
GC

The Devil Is In The Details... Vintage Daytona 6239 Paul Newman

Robin195959
First off I would like to thank Steve & David @ DW for this beauty... I would recomend them to anyone interested in a Vintage Daytona rep! After a whole lot of research and finally deceiding which model I was after I placed my order & Steve took exceptional care of me. Now on to a little history and of course the pics!

The Rolex Daytona is a really interesting watch and its history is filled with irony. When Paul Newman first started wearing his Rolex Daytona in 1972, Rolex could not give them away. It was very common for an, "Exotic Dial Daytona" which today is worth $150,000 to sit on store shelves for years without selling for $300.

The supreme irony is that one of Rolex's least popular models models ended up becoming their most popular. From the early 1990's until 2008, if you walked into an authorized Rolex dealer (AD) and asked to purchase a stainless steel Rolex Daytona, they would laugh and tell you that there was a three year waiting list.

So how did this all change? It is hard to say exactly. It is probably a combination of brilliant marketing on Rolex's behalf as well as happenstance, coupled with the fact that Paul Newman made it as iconic as he was. It is also interesting to note there is a strange correlation between the fact that as soon as Rolex completely stopped advertising the stainless steel Rolex Daytona, sales took off. To the best of my knowledge, Rolex has not advertised the stainless steel Daytona since the late 1960's.

The Paul Newman Daytona

Mystery Solved

Some people who do not know any better (because they don't read Jake's Rolex World Magazine) think there is a mystery behind why there are models of now vintage Rolex Daytona models that are named, "The Paul Newman Daytona". The term, "The Paul Newman Daytona" is a bit of an oxymoron. There really is no "Paul Newman Daytona" per se. The truth is that Paul Newman was a huge Rolex Daytona fan and owned and wore at least 5 different Rolex Daytona Models in his lifetime. So where did the term, "The Paul Newman Daytona" come from? In 1969 Paul Newman starred in a movie named, "Winning" with his wife, Joanne Woodward along with Robert Wagner. In the movie, "Winning," Paul Newman played a race car driver and he was so inspired by auto racing, he ended up starting his own career as a race car driver. There was speculation that was later disproven that suggested he wore a Rolex Daytona in the movie "Winning" due to the fact that he wore a stainless steel chronograph wrist watch in the movie.

When most people think of, "The Paul Newman Daytona" they think of the exotic dial version as seen below. The reason it is called "the exotic dial" is because it has a black outer track that runs around the edge of the dial that matches the subdials. Many people, including me, think this is the best looking Rolex Daytona ever made.

Just for refference :dingleberry-nemesis:

Paul.jpg

And now the pics!

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

And finally the money shot!

IMG_3418.jpg

thanks for letting me share

Agreed GC an absolute beauty and beautifully photographed!!!

GC

OLDBLOKE74

6263x3_zps569662a3.jpg

Not sure which is my favourite, I love them all like my children

jdog

Great story... but what the hell are you bumping a 3 yr. old thread with NO COMMENT for?!?

thorny007

perfection

GC

Photobucket stopped holding the photos hostage... ;)

Glaude

:thumbsup:

You must bump all your old review so that everyone can see them ! 

GWT

Good to know!