Sign in to follow this  
houndoggie

The "MY NEW WATCH" thread....

houndoggie
Hey, if the brand "Rolex" didn't exist, and someone put it on a homage it wouldn't sound MUCH worse than Parnis....

I mean, wtf is a "rolex"?

The origin of the name Rolex is interesting (sort of?): from the wikipedia

The company name "Rolex" was registered on 15 November 1915. The word was made up, and its origin is obscure. Wilsdorf was said to want his watch brand's name to be easily pronounceable in any language. One story, never confirmed by Wilsdorf, is that the name came from the French phrase horlogerie exquise, meaning "exquisite clockwork". Another story claims that "rolex" was meant to evoke the sound of a watch being wound.[8] The book The Best of Time: Rolex Wristwatches: An Unauthorized History by Jeffrey P. Hess and James Dowling says that the name was just made up.[9] The Book A Movement in Time with Breitling & Rolex by Mark A Cooper states that the name came from the partner Alfred Davis and not Wilsdorf. Alfred Davis was a Rolls Royce driver and loved the quality of the car, something he wanted with Rolex. He used the name Rol and then added the popular watch name at the time 'TIMEX' to make the word Rolex.

alphakazi

a great value from Robert. a few more pics :

hublot2.jpg

hublot3.jpg

JohnG

hublot2.jpg

hublot3.jpg

How much was it?

Also, where is your Pseudo Ruhla?

KBH
well there's not much to tell, it's just an Adriana plant

adriana-lima-nude-gq-01.0.0.0x0.320x480.jpeg

Any pictures of the Adriana bush? It appears to be well maintained.

alphakazi

hublot2.jpg

hublot3.jpg

How much was it?

only $239 or $229.... ask rob - it's a deal I think considering what I was going to pay before - low beat but i'm ok with that - build quality is exceptional - have a ton of macros I'll eventually post

the ruhla had the crappy bracelet removed and I'll get some pics of it shortly - I need help with a strap for it - I'm thinking kevlar

alphakazi
well there's not much to tell, it's just an Adriana plant

adriana-lima-nude-gq-01.0.0.0x0.320x480.jpeg

Any pictures of the Adriana bush? It appears to be well maintained.

quite... but I'll save them for the 'bin' :Monkey:

JohnG

hublot2.jpg

hublot3.jpg

How much was it?

only $239 or $229.... ask rob - it's a deal I think considering what I was going to pay before - low beat but i'm ok with that - build quality is exceptional - have a ton of macros I'll eventually post

the ruhla had the crappy bracelet removed and I'll get some pics of it shortly - I need help with a strap for it - I'm thinking kevlar

Are you going to swim with it, because if not, how about a Pam type strap, thick and manly. In part I fixated on that because of the 24mm lugs and was thinking something from Gorilla Straps....

alphakazi

yea, the 24mm lugs are nice - I think it would look good on some fat leather but not exactly what I had in mind. I wanted this one for hunting, fishing, etc. I don't now how well the 2824-2 holds up to firearm recoil (maybe someone can enlighten me) but for $100, I'll test it out. Most of the shock goes into my right hand while the watch is on the left (mainly for support)

that's why I thought about kevlar, seems appropriate and I think it's water proof... maybe Nato is the way to go?? idk, here's some pics - I'm sure I'll order a bunch of straps that will look like crap once paired up - we should post pics of the ones we never use, might be the perfect fit for someone else.

ok then, some pics for shits and giggles:

ruhladriver8.jpgruhladriver9.jpg

A Ruhla in the alphakazi arsenal

ruhladriver6.jpg

copper bracelet?

ruhladriver7.jpg

ETA 2824-2

ruhladriver4.jpgruhladriver10.jpg

ruhladriver11.jpg

ruhladriver12.jpg

Luthier

Alpha, are you gonna shoot your lawyer?

:D

JohnG

LOVE THE RUHLA!!!!

If you could find a really nice one that woulf fit perfectly I think a rubber deployant would look great. Problem is finding a nice one - most are crap or full of bullshit details. This watch needs a SIMPLE strap. The Omega SMP deployant would look perfect, but it is not 24mm not sure if it would fit anyway.

Kevlar would be appropriate, for some reason I am not crazy about them but then I have never even seen one in real life...

alphakazi

:D

I'm a diplomat Luth :rofl: and a law abiding citizen on the weekends

@John - a silicone on deployment sounds perfect - this one on the HBB is sweet (minus the deployment eating into your wrist)

just got an idea to get pics from the net and cut and paste them to see how it might look on the watch...

ruhladriver3.jpg

P_Diddy

yeah I see what you mean, but I keep thinking "PARSNIP" everytime I see the PARNIS logo on a watch :D

Hey, if the brand "Rolex" didn't exist, and someone put it on a homage it wouldn't sound MUCH worse than Parnis....

I mean, wtf is a "rolex"?

trailboss99

The ETA should be oke Alpha. My 21j stands up to a 375win and the 30-30 without any probs. Even tried it with a jackhammer without any prob.

Col.

JohnG

:lol:

I'm a diplomat Luth :) and a law abiding citizen on the weekends

@John - a silicone on deployment sounds perfect - this one on the HBB is sweet (minus the deployment eating into your wrist)

just got an idea to get pics from the net and cut and paste them to see how it might look on the watch...

ruhladriver3.jpg

Just so you know, Julia at Watchgallory.com got me the Breitling deployant clasp for $35 - plus pp fee and shipping. She could probably get others. With the Breitling, I don't think it would be hard to remove the wings and get it bead blasted, then put in on any rubber that works. There are LOTS of aftermarket rubber staps, but most have shitty clasps. That watch deserves a cool one. Also the Oris reps w/ rubber have a NICE deployant, engraving looks very shallow, easy to remove. Again, bead blast it, you have a bitchin deployant....

ubiquitous

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5315.jpg

-3717; one of the original EL100

-Swiss ETA 7750

-Swiss 770 day/date wheels

-Zig relume

-Hands retrofitted

-Chief AR

Definitely one of my favorites!

:)

JohnG

-Swiss ETA 7750

-Zig relume

-Hands retrofitted

-Chief AR

VERY VERY NICE.

I would love to do a sterile version of this, basically same specs, but with a custom stealth dial (that is my thing right now - imagining every watch I see with a sealth dial, even better if it is sandwich... just need to buy that CNC machine....

houndoggie

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5315.jpg

-Swiss ETA 7750

-Zig relume

-Hands retrofitted

-Chief AR

That is is really, really nice!!! Even stock, the 3717 rep is great, but with your mods, it is fantastic!

alphakazi
The ETA should be oke Alpha. My 21j stands up to a 375win and the 30-30 without any probs. Even tried it with a jackhammer without any prob.

Col.

lucky you playing with them toys - a jackhammer eh? good times - if a 21j can take auto shotty fire - I shouldn't have any issues

@john - thanks - Ima look into that deployment

@ubiquitous - your modded Pilot is a showstopper!

NFleischer

I've been on a PAM bender. I got this mini fiddy from Sead and lefty sub from Josh.

DSC00237.JPG

DSC00243.JPG

ubiquitous

Thanks for the very kind words, gents :)

The 3717 is a great piece, and it doesn't take much to bring it up to snuff. All the little details add up; that chief AR crystal really makes the dial come to life.

Cheers!

R

houndoggie

Just came today, another Getat (cust_watch) watch. THis is the ebay 47mm radiomir case pilot watch I won for $65 shipped.. pretty decent.

fc8c63fa.jpg

Member X

Nice!

What's the lume like on them?

houndoggie

The lume typical of rep lume.

greg_r

Oh that's nice for the dough, HD.

I'll be buying a couple more from them myself at some point.

Member X

Fairy nuff ;)

At that price you can probably afford to have a go at reluming yourself!

I want to take a watch apart and get some confidence doing it but looking at the list of things you need in the other thread, it'll cost loads... lol