Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

Stealth Lume

JohnG

POSTED BY FLEED AT REPGEEK:

hi all!

this is a quick pictorial/tutorial about how to make dark lume for your phantom/stealth projects.

to make dark lume you need;

-luminous pigment (superluminova, noctilumina, gx-pigments...)

-binder / varnish

-graphite powder

-mix-cup

if you dont have graphite powder, you canmade it your self;

just rub a pencil tip back and forth over an emery board (best to work over a scrap piece of paper) until you have a small pile.

coreofpencil.jpg

powderbottle.jpg

Making.jpg

once you have the graphite powder ready, you can start.

1.put some barnish in the mixcup

2.ad a small (verry small) amount of the graphite powder

3.stir it with the binder till you get a dark-grey bodycolor.

4.ad luminous pigment and stir it again during 30 seconds

this is how the dark lume should look now

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

if you like it darker you can ad more graphite powder.

once your lume is ready, do some test on a white base before starting with the relume-work.

DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

this is how the dark lume glows compared to a "clean pigment".

DSCN0027.jpg

this is a quick example of how the lume looks like once it's applied.

dar.jpg

dar2.jpg

this are some samples of a less dark lume (grey)

grey2.jpg

grey.jpg

thank you for reading.

fleed

KinCaidk

Start practicing John :)

If you get good, I'll let you stealth my Planet Ocean 42 :)

trailboss99

Hey! neat trick.

Duly noted for my blackout Pam homage project. Thanks John.

Col.

greg_r

I have a project in mind (if I ever find the time) which would be perfect for this treatment...

Thanks John :)

Rats

How long does the "lume" last? Do you have to remove the original "lume" before applying the new? I have a couple of watches that could use re-luming and I always wondered how difficult this would be. Any help out there would be appreciated.

JohnG
How long does the "lume" last? Do you have to remove the original "lume" before applying the new? I have a couple of watches that could use re-luming and I always wondered how difficult this would be. Any help out there would be appreciated.

How long it lasts depends on the lume used. They all fade pretty quickly but then retain a certain level for up to 24 hours (for large grain good stuff). The thing is, the bigger the pigment grain the brighter the lume, but the less applicable it is to watch luming. On a sandwich dial you can use a fairly coarse pigment but then the hands require something finer - I think 15-35 micron is the biggest recommended for hands.

The hands are the difficult part I think.

And yes, you have to remove the old.

I will post up a plagiarized tutorial thread in the next day or so....

Member X

Has anyone used that spray on stuff? I know it was mentioned over on cc in a thread a little while ago but I'm not sure how it compares.

Rats

How long it lasts depends on the lume used. They all fade pretty quickly but then retain a certain level for up to 24 hours (for large grain good stuff). The thing is, the bigger the pigment grain the brighter the lume, but the less applicable it is to watch luming. On a sandwich dial you can use a fairly coarse pigment but then the hands require something finer - I think 15-35 micron is the biggest recommended for hands.

The hands are the difficult part I think.

And yes, you have to remove the old.

I will post up a plagiarized tutorial thread in the next day or so....

Thanks

Member X

Does it matter what hardness of pencil you use??

JohnG
Does it matter what hardness of pencil you use??

I THINK that softer pencils are darker - anyone know for sure?

alphakazi

yea softer is darker - go for anything with a "B" in it like 2B up to 9B

The softer it is, the more graphite it contains that would block more light. I imagine you'd have to experiment with them - too dark may kill out too much light

JohnG

The softer it is, the more graphite it contains that would block more light

HOW DO I TURN OFF THE BANNER PLEASE - CAN'T GET AN ANSWER OUT OF YOU GUYS.

alphakazi

actually, that IS possible but might be too time consuming... for now - after the new IPB software is installed, we can spend more time customizing the templates

another idea is allowing you to change templates so the board looks the way you'd like it to - we can have a special John G template :popcorn:

onzenuub

actually, that IS possible but might be too time consuming... for now - after the new IPB software is installed, we can spend more time customizing the templates

another idea is allowing you to change templates so the board looks the way you'd like it to - we can have a special John G template :popcorn:

I want a boobies template DAMMIT

JohnG

How about this idea - LEAVE SHIT ALONE UNTIL WE ALL DISCUSS IT. You want a new banner, put it into a new template when you have the time. Don't force ME to look at it.

WE ALL DECIDE what the forum is going to be. That was the understanding when I signed up here and paid my dues. I am fucking pissed and this all could have been avoided by showing a little respect towards people who ALSO have put a lot of time and effort into adding content to this board.

I am starting to get sick of the Redevelopment Authority tearing everthing up every other day.

alphakazi
I am fucking pissed and this all could have been avoided by showing a little respect towards people who ALSO have put a lot of time and effort into adding content to this board.

come on, I think you've been given more than a little respect John.

JohnG

Really?

I must have missed the thread where you all discussed this. Respect would have been, "hey JohnG, over here, we are making a decision about changing the board appearance, we know you really love this place, what do you think?

If I am just one more member, someone to pony up content threads and donations, but "fuck you when there is a decison to be made TB, Greg, and I will handle it" then this is not the place I was led to believe it was going to be. You all could have explained things a little clearer before I became attached to the new place. Then I just wouldn't have given a fuck. And you wouldn't have had to listen to my rants. You could go on your merry way making all your improvements now that you are back with BIG PLANS for growth and urban redevelopment, without listening to me bitch. But when you guys present this as a collective effort to rebuild a home, a HOME, not a BUSINESS, then you kind of fucked up, because I believed you and now this is the result - I am bitter and disappointed.

Enjoy your new look, but sorry to say it is not for me.

alphakazi

if it wasn't for greg, we'd still be in the looney bin at RWG1... I only considered making a forum while greg took initiative and put forth the time, $$$ and effort to get us back up and running - yes, we lost our database and it was and still is a great loss but consider the time and effort put in. The only change that is not acceptable on these forums is our freedom of speech. THAT is why you love this place - it's why we all love it - changing a logo won't change that

besides, I hear a v2 logo is in the works with you in mind

FBV

more social unrest!

:popcorn::boobies::):beer2: :P :beer2::boobies: