Sign in to follow this  
tdiddy866

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714/ Portuguese Yacht Club Chronograph 3902

tdiddy866

Hi,

im looking to buy a Portuguese Chronograph 3714 and am unsure whether to go with quartz or automatic movement.

-I understand that the automatic movements are unreliable but does this mean they stop working after a certain amount of time or are just inconsistent when they want to work? How have people experiences been with the automatic?

-Can anyone recommend a dealer that they have had success with for this watch and how close was it to the gen?

M02_IW371417_2011_grey.jpg

M02_IW371480_2011_grey.jpg

-I am also keen on the Portuguese Yacht Club Chronograph but have been unable to find it on the dealers website! Has anyone had any success with this?

iwc-portuguese-yacht-club-automatic-chronograph-watch-iw3902.jpg

All help with these 2 models would be much appreciated

Cheers

Tom

houndoggie

go quartz or go with the Parnis power reserve homage.

The Portuguese automatic chrono is a paperweight.

mbjoer

Recently it has emerged that the 7750 chrono @6 movement has been improved with some more jewels.

There has been a lot of writing on RWI and RG about it.

Basically the recommendation is that you can buy the new version, but it really needs instant servicing. And it will require more frequent service than a normal movement. So still an expensive option, but at least possible.

Edited by mbjoer

grb

Quartz available on Roberts auction site now

Joeleric26

Beautiful pieces ... I'm a newbie, just joined, but if you find a good Quartz version of either of those silver beauties you listed up top I'd appreciate knowing where you picked them up.

What's the Robert's auction site?

Edited by Joeleric26

Soopah Spy

Beautiful pieces ... I'm a newbie, just joined, but if you find a good Quartz version of either of those silver beauties you listed up top I'd appreciate knowing where you picked them up.

Sadly, Robert is no longer with us. But I'm sure the reps can be found by our Trusted Dealers, just drop one of them an e-mail and ask. :) Welcome aboard.

SeanusMaximus

Welcome mate - but check the date that comment was posted on :P

rakirun

I am new to replicas and hands down my favourite watch (at the moment) is the Portugese 3902 Yacht Club. Now I have read a lot about the reliability of the movements due to seconds@6 and its a bit off putting so I started looking at the cheaper versions so if it does break I havent lost much. I saw one on Watcheden on offer so i emailed them for details and was told the subdials aren't a chronograph but month/week indicators. Does this mean the problem that is caused by having seconds @6 is not an issue on these cheaper versions??

According to the website it is a 21j asia automatic movement not a quartz. I am not looking for a very accurate rep, especially at this price, i just think it is a lovely watch.

http://www.watcheden.net/iwc-portuguese-yacht-club-automatic-with-black-dial-rubber-strap-i-135440-p-1.html

Member X

Weird re-direct link there! :D

This is the direct link :)http://www.watcheden...135440-p-1.html

Read the Movements Guide linked to in my signature for advice on your options.

The Asian 7750 with seconds at 6 is unreliable because the seconds subdial is usually at 9, so to transfer the seconds to the 6 position requires a lot of extra gears. These gears create a lot of drag which ultimately kills the movement completely.

21j is a different, much cheaper movement, but they are generally reliable, and in this case is probably the best option bar quartz.

I'm not sure how good the overall quality of this rep is but if you like it then it is not a lot of money to 'waste' if you later decide it is not for you (or it breaks after several months :D lol). I would perhaps suggest emailing Marvellous Replica or WatchInternational to see if they can get it, rather than Watcheden. In my experience they have greater quality control so hopefully you would minimise any issue :)

rakirun

Weird re-direct link there! :D

This is the direct link :)http://www.watcheden...135440-p-1.html

Read the Movements Guide linked to in my signature for advice on your options.

The Asian 7750 with seconds at 6 is unreliable because the seconds subdial is usually at 9, so to transfer the seconds to the 6 position requires a lot of extra gears. These gears create a lot of drag which ultimately kills the movement completely.

21j is a different, much cheaper movement, but they are generally reliable, and in this case is probably the best option bar quartz.

I'm not sure how good the overall quality of this rep is but if you like it then it is not a lot of money to 'waste' if you later decide it is not for you (or it breaks after several months :D lol). I would perhaps suggest emailing Marvellous Replica or WatchInternational to see if they can get it, rather than Watcheden. In my experience they have greater quality control so hopefully you would minimise any issue :)

Thanks Member X i will fire off an email to Marvelous Replica and Watchinternational :)

Member X

Let us know how you get on :)

watchseeker12

I went with these, quartz doesn't bother me too much:

watchseeker1.jpg

watchseeker3.jpg

watchseeker5.jpg

watchseeker6.jpg

watchseeker7.jpg

watchseeker8.jpg

Have since changed the straps for all of them. Brown straps on both the black dial and white dial gold case.

onbook.jpg

I haven't come around to taking pictures of the others with the new straps

gran

Great design!

Genuine IWC QUARTZ?

BolducZogmar

Hi!

There is a few of them on Watchinternational sales, here : http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=27423

Problem is the size: they announce 41mm x 15mm, which I find very thick for a quartz watch!

Besides, it looks like the same rep at timeshops, here: http://www.timeshops...hronograph.html, which is supposed to be 42,5mm x 12,2mm... :wacko:

I already have the Parnis Power Reserve homage, which a nice auto, but at 43mm it's a bit too big for me.

I do not want to go the same way with this chrono and I'd like to be 100% sure I'm not going to get a 42,5mm x 15mm watch!

If somenone has any clue about that?

Edited by BolducZogmar

Amit

Talk about digging up and old thread!!

BolducZogmar

Yeah I know, sorry about that... Could be older, though... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I ordered it.

I'll tell you as soon as I get it.

Edited by BolducZogmar

Jay Z

Have you got it?

jotun0881

+1 to resurrecting this thread if possible :)

The two IWC watches are now on my list of purchases after the Chinese new year.

My questions, if anybody has any experience :

1 - The Valjoux 7750 - 29j movement, is it worth the extra cash vs quartz for example (in terms of reliability I mean, seeing how the A7750 goes for 318$)

2 - Are there nowadays more decent Yach Club replicas out there ? Websites such as timeshops, watcheden, even Marvellous Replica have replicas, but they are all somehow different and none looks really like a good rep

So basically it's the same discussion about these two watches, hoping someone has more info or experience buying them.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

limedbk

I also like the 3714 and went about hunting for one and found out about the automatic movement having problems due to missing jewels where needed for lubrication. So working life of the modified asian 7750 seems to be at about 1 year. I went about hunting for a quartz one and found one on aliexpress. Bought it for only US$86.50 plus free shipping. Great watch even though the subdials are slightly nearer to the centre of the dial. The quartz movement is great actually. It's a japanese miyota movement. Beware of a version that has a bigger dial (46mm), versus the 40.9mm dial. The 46mm is usually the non-chrono automatic.

Now I am trying to hunt for a yacht club 3902 in quartz too. no luck yet. but the automatic version will have the same problem as the 3714. A cheap automatic version (in the range of US$138 or so) will be a non-chrono version. subdials are just date/day indicators with chrono-type adjustment knobs.

Anyone out there knows of a quartz version yacht club please raise the alarm.

Thanks!

mosyzlak

Hello, I remember there were quartz yacht clubs on idolreplicas.

limedbk

Hello, I remember there were quartz yacht clubs on idolreplicas.

Thank you for the info, Mosyzlak! I will go check out.

limedbk

Found the yacht club replica on Kuvarsit. Ordered one and just received it. Looks very close. Similar as the 3714, where the subdials are closer to the center than the original. The 3714 has the miyota OS30 movement on the one I have (bought from Aliexpress).

So the truncated 11 on the original is not truncated. Saw on a replica seller (vinci watch) that advertised it as a miyota OS10 movement. Received the 3902 yacht club quartz replica just a day ago thinking it should have the miyota movement too. Opened it up and saw that it is a seiko VD51B movement instead. The OS series of miyota movement have the same second hand at 6, chrono second hand in center, chrono minute at 12, so it fits usage on the portuguese series replicas, except for the closer subdials.

But this seiko VD51B has chrono second at 12, second in center, and chrono minute at 6. So this seiko movement made the watch not as authentic as the original. Given the size of the watch (3902), the subdial spacing (between 12 and 6) is about 15mm based on the seiko movement. The miyota movements (OS series) only has a spacing of 13.8mm, so given the big subdials on this model (3902), most miyota movements will not work. Only a few of the miyota JS series movement may work with a spacing of 14.5mm.

Kind of a disappointment on the chrono part, but overall the watch looks good for a replica. Don't think I can find a miyota one to replace it due to the subdial spacing to have a second at 6 and chrono second at center authenticity. sigh...

bdaniel2

someone know what TD sell the Portuguese Yacht Club ?

TheChamp16

someone know what TD sell the Portuguese Yacht Club ?

Did you not read the post directly above yours?

yawn

if you have limited budget, go quatz. expect people with some watch knowledge to call you off.

if you have realtive large disposible income, go with v3 noob version. you can wear it pretty comfortable since none can tell unless you take it off and compare it next to gen. but expect movement and maintanance issue.

if money is not a problem, go with concepta franken 3714 build. it's pretty much 100% gen like. since movement is gen, you can service it easily except sending it to AD.