KeNnY

The Rolex Orange Hand Explorer II

KeNnY

The Orange Hand Explorer II

GEN:

20688357.jpg

REP:

s6303065.jpg

The Explorer II model, 1655, was introduced in 1971. The movement was either the 1570 or the 1575, and essentially this particular model was a GMT with a fixed stainless steel bezel. It had a distinctive dial with an extra hour hand that was designed specifically for speleologists, or cave explorers, who Rolex claimed, " soon lose all notion of time: morning, afternoon, day, or night." The extra hour hand, or 24 hour, would tell the explorers whether the 4 on the dial was 4:00 a.m. or 4:00 p.m. (16:00 hrs).

The watch initially when it was first marketed, the second hand was straight and the extra hour hand was a bright orange. In 1974 a luminous circle was added and models manufactured after 1975 the extra hour hand was painted a bright red. The production of the 1655 continued until 1985 when it was discontinued.

A debate exists in regard to when the orange hand was no longer used on the dial. Reference texts seem to agree that the orange hand was discontinued by the mid 70's. It is interesting to note that many 1655's made after the mid 70's and into the 80's have orange 24 hour hands. Perhaps the explanation is that the red hands faded to orange, just as orange hands have been known to fade to yellow.

The Explorer 11 was not a popular watch during its production run from 1971 to 1985. The dial is cluttered and even considered illegible by some watch collectors.

This model has also been called the Steve McQueen Rolex. Steve McQueen may have worn a Tag Heuer Monaco wristwatch in the film Le Mans, but in real life he wore a Rolex Explorer II, model 1655. The Explorer II is very popular among collectors today.

This example below is an earlier model with the second hand lacking the luminous material.

55879845.jpg

This is an example from 1974

47113619.jpg

By contrast the other example below is a later model (1980) and in this case the second hand has a luminous dot.

98703977.jpg

50068564.jpg

51161096.jpg

33818697.jpg

And now pictures of my modded rep

s6303060.jpg

s6303061i.jpg

s6303062.jpg

s6303063n.jpg

s6303064.jpg

s6303065.jpg

s6303066.jpg

Just made this because I wanted to know if I did good on the modding (didn't checked it before :daffy:) and I think I got it quite well, altho the magnification of the cyclops could be better.

Thank you for looking. :fuck:

:fail:

dingle

nice kenny.....but it looks as if you spilt something on the "12" marker :fuck:

:fail:

Akira

I can't see the gen pictures....

7What exactly did you mod on your version to improve accuracy to the gen?

KeNnY

just resprayed the hour hand and replaced the crystal. I also replaced the dial, the white dial, is more better and more similar to gen. Overall if you could see the gen pictures, you would now :drool: I will reupload those pictures for you.

Akira

just resprayed the hour hand and replaced the crystal. I also replaced the dial, the white dial, is more better and more similar to gen. Overall if you could see the gen pictures, you would now :D I will reupload those pictures for you.

Ah ok, this isn't the Cartel 1:1 Version....because there isn't much to improve except with gen parts.

I was just wondering because your pictures look very accurate....like the 1655 I bought for the 1675 conversion.

KeNnY

just resprayed the hour hand and replaced the crystal. I also replaced the dial, the white dial, is more better and more similar to gen. Overall if you could see the gen pictures, you would now :P I will reupload those pictures for you.

Ah ok, this isn't the Cartel 1:1 Version....because there isn't much to improve except with gen parts.

I was just wondering because your pictures look very accurate....like the 1655 I bought for the 1675 conversion.

Thank you.

Akira this watch was from Roberts PWC auction site, that I have bough for around 100USD.

I can't see the pics at work also :D will have to wait when I get home and reupload them then.

KeNnY

I have REUPLOADED pics for your AKIRA ! :giggle:

GC

looks great kenny... great job!

KeNnY
looks great kenny... great job!

Thank you GC :giggle: I really need to find a way to better apply lume on printed dial, and without UV environment (to see the glowing material) is not that possible, so I am going to mod my head lamp to ligh up things with UV so I will have easier and precise tool to relume things :) I have head lamp with Magnification googles on front, like dentist have.

nunu78

Kenny urs explorer looks genuine to me,my friend.

KeNnY
Kenny urs explorer looks genuine to me,my friend.

Thank you mine friend ! :)

Do you think somebody would pay me this 1:1 rep 300USD on Repgeek ? :giggle:

wat44

is the biggest difference the 24hour hand? the triangles are quite different

and I dont notice half the tells people point out in watches!

robznet

Looks good to me Kenny - beautiful work yet again! :dingleberry-nemesis:

KeNnY
is the biggest difference the 24hour hand? the triangles are quite different

and I dont notice half the tells people point out in watches!

yes you are right, the triangle on Gen is a bit bigger on Gen.

Looks good to me Kenny - beautiful work yet again! :)

Thank you Robz :)

wat44

I like it - Ive got one in on the way from another member here

KeNnY
I like it - Ive got one in on the way from another member here

nice ! :) It is really nice watch, you will be happy with it :)

KeNnY

Going to put this baby for sale soon.. hope it will be interesting for someone :lol: I have noticed these reps vintage Rolex style watches are quite rare