Sign in to follow this  
tommylad

Best sweep movement?

tommylad

Hi guys,

I've recently bought my first two reps: A UPO 21j from Robert and a Patek Philippe Calatrava with 2836 movement.

I want to know how smooth a sweep reps can have and which movement gives the best. The PP is noticeably smoother than the UPO but not a 100% sweep like some gens you see. Is it even possible to get that quality of movement in a rep? Or something approaching that?

Just curious.

Cheers.

flottiglia

Its not so much the quality as the beat rate of the movement that gives the smooth sweep.

The 21 jewel is probably a 21,600 and if the ETA is 28,800 it will sweep more smoothly.

The highest beat gens afaik were some older Zeniths and Eternas with a 36,000 beat they had a very smooth sweep indeed but i don't think theres anything made with such a fast beat today.The 36,000 movements were modded ETA's.

tommylad

So, in short, the 28800 beat is about the best?

Thanks.

flottiglia
So, in short, the 28800 beat is about the best?

Thanks.

Yeah pretty much mate !

Smaller second hand makes the sweep look smoother too,so Pams are good for a smooth looking sweep.

pollux1

With reps, then definitely it's the A7750/28xx movements with the smoothest sweep. IIRC the smoothest is the Seiko springdrive and it's VERY expensive. :)

jdoe

2v1snk2.jpg

720 beat/sec, or 2,592,000 bph

Edited by jdoe

jdoe
The highest beat gens afaik were some older Zeniths and Eternas with a 36,000 beat they had a very smooth sweep indeed but i don't think theres anything made with such a fast beat today.The 36,000 movements were modded ETA's.

I believe Breguet has one running at 72,000 all mechanical, however nowhere as smooth as the above.

On the other hand the ability of your brain to differentiate movements above 36,000 is pretty much inexistent.

Edited by jdoe

flottiglia

Yep,the Cal 1220 Omega was a tuning fork like the accutron but higher frequency.

Didn't know about the Breguet,goes off to google it ....

myaz

Check this review of a Breguet I just got from Mary. I included a video clip near the end of the review that shows a 28,800BPH movement (submariner from BK's garage) running side by side with the 21,600BPH on the Breguet from Mary. You can appreciate the difference in the sweep of the hands.

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=18368

flottiglia
Yep,the Cal 1220 Omega was a tuning fork like the accutron but higher frequency.

Didn't know about the Breguet,goes off to google it ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ny4NkywSjI

Thanks for that,pretty awesome,it sounds like a grasshopper !

I guess it must have one big mainspring or a fairly low power reserve,very impressive nontheless..