Sign in to follow this  
Distinct

Pressure Test Results

Distinct

So I finally went today to a very well known and popular watchsmith in the city. I bundled up a few watches and prepared to get them pressure tested. Cost me $90 for both watches. I had a 3rd watch from Mary that I was going to test but decided to pass since I didn't have high hopes for it and I didn't feel like shelling out another $45 to watch failure.

Here's the results:

BK Blue Ceramic Rolex Submariner

img3112vo.jpg

Pressure tested and pass to 200 metres. At this point it began to fail at the 10:00 area of the crystal. The watchsmith said that over time the gasket will continue to dry out and it will not be water resistant/proof. I asked if it was OK for swimming and he said it would be fine, but the gasket would likely need to be changed in 2-3 years.

Timeshops Rolex GMT Master II

img3606s.jpg

Pressure tested and pass to 200 metres at which point it began to leak from the caseback. It was opened up and lubricant applied to the seal gasket and the watchsmith said that the watch is good to go and very waterproof.

The watchsmith commented that these are the best replicas he's seen. Said that despite him being able to tell they are replicas, these are excellent and just about any non-expert would never know. He said they had good weight and the finish of the casing and bracelets is very good. He had both under a loupe and commented that these were fantastic. He liked the GMT Master more. Offered to buy it from me and made some jokes about being in the wrong business and he should be selling replicas and not genuine.

Comex

Wow, that is quite impressive.

Also pretty relaxed of the watchsmith to do.

I've also got these two watches and I'm sure that the sub is tight, however the GMT??

Edited by Comex

houndoggie
Wow, that is quite impressive.

Also pretty relaxed of the watchsmith to do.

I've also got these two watches and I'm sure that the sub is tight, however the GMT??

They are essentially the same watch, so they should both have the same rating.

vexorg

was anything done to the watches before they were tested?

offshore

Did you see what style of machine was used?

Was it a pump up water immersion test or a vacuum (dry) test?

O/S

SeanusMaximus

Hmm liking the blue ceramic sub! Need to get a few of mine tested! Are you UK based out of curiosity mate?

Sean

Distinct
was anything done to the watches before they were tested?

Nothing was done. The leaking from the caseback on the GMT Master could also be attributed to me since I had to open it up to fix a DOA movement. When I got the watch from Timeshops, the main rotor was moving around freely inside the casing. I'm pretty damn happy about the results. I just wanted to be able to swim, shower, wash hands and this gives me the confidence. I don't think I'm ever going 200 metres down or going to fly across the surface of the water being towed behind a boat at high speed.

Distinct
Did you see what style of machine was used?

Was it a pump up water immersion test or a vacuum (dry) test?

O/S

I believe that he did two tests. Dry and then wet. I know wet for sure because the watches are have water on them and I saw the water immersion chamber thing. I also saw him take the watches to a different room and they were being tested for a while there, I assume that he was doing the dry first.

nunu78
Hmm liking the blue ceramic sub! Need to get a few of mine tested! Are you UK based out of curiosity mate?

Sean

Sean, as he said 90$ that means he is from States.

SeanusMaximus

Sean

Sean, as he said 90$ that means he is from States.

:D Im half asleep...shhhh

Distinct

Sean

Across the pond from you. Farther across the Commonwealth but not as far as Australia. I'm in Canada.

I absolutely love the blue ceramic Sub. Sometimes I feel a bit pretentious because the genuine is so expensive but I love the colour. Interestingly, the watchsmith didn't like the blue Sub. Only had eyes for the GMT.

pamelo

I have this GMT2 which I've posted on and it's running perfect. I generally don't wear any of my watches in water, so the water resistance is not important--but nice to know.

I've read these Rolex swiss etas are from "Noobfactory" , though I've heard that Noobfactory closed years ago.

Whatever, the quality is good.

Member X

Great results with some great quality watches :)

Goes to show reps can be just as good, if not better, than many similarly priced gens, with the right care and attention re gaskets, obviously :)

Del

Good to hear! I've had my GMTIIc from TS tested also and it passed 5 ATMs. Only cost me £5 for the test though! :)

Distinct
Good to hear! I've had my GMTIIc from TS tested also and it passed 5 ATMs. Only cost me £5 for the test though! :)

That's about $10? in Canada I think. I would have gladly gone for that option. I'm never going to put the watch through so much pressure in real life and I'm not Rolex or a watch company trying to boast about achievements. I would much rather pay very little to know it will let me swim.

I'm going to just ship my watches to you for testing. Might be cheaper.

MJC

AWESOME!!