Sign in to follow this  
anthonyd

Should this concern me

anthonyd

HI all, I just received a new HBBB from Mary and it is almost perfect. I did however notice something really strange and wanted to get others opinion on whether or not this should be of concern.

When operating the chrono feature I notice that there are places where the second hand seems to stick and tick asopposed to sweeping. It is very strange and I have takena video below.

Note when the second hand approaches the 4 o'clock position how it suddenly ticks for a few ticks and then goes back to sweeping. It also seems to happen around the other side near the 10 o'clock position but not as bad.

I synchnonised the small and large second hand for this test and as you can see they do not go out of sync, so the large second hand is not getting stuck. THis video was also taken after runnign the chrono for a few hours and I can also note that comapred to my PC clock it had not gained or lost any seconds over these few hours. If the second hand was actually getting stuck there I would expect to be loosing time rather quickly would I not?

Also I have discounted the possibility of the second hand catching the minute one as this happens near 4 o'clock independantly of where the minute hand is.

Real question here is does any of the experts here think this will cause problems in the future or should I just ignore it. After all I seldom use the chrono and there is no decernable 'tick' on the small second hand. It is really the longetivity I am worried about, after all this was $360 so it is not a simple write off if it breaks in a few weeks time.

Excuse the crappy cell phone video, it was taken at work at my desk... coming to think of it I think I need to clean the lens on it :yoda:

Edited by anthonyd

bubbaa

Read this article I'm sure it will help operating chronos

read

anthonyd
Read this article I'm sure it will help operating chronos

read

That really doesn't answer my question. I was not asking how to operate the chrono, rather I am asking if I should be concerned that it sweeps most of the way around but every time it gets near the 4 o'clock position it does a sort of "tick"

Edited by anthonyd

prestigewatchco

happens some times it's not something that will fail rather one of those things you can get with a 7750 movement happens with 21j sometimes as well.

7750 are not usually as smooth sweep as 2836 anyway.

By the way why do you run the chrono all the time? If you switch the chrono off you have solved your problem

anthonyd
happens some times it's not something that will fail rather one of those things you can get with a 7750 movement happens with 21j sometimes as well.

7750 are not usually as smooth sweep as 2836 anyway.

By the way why do you run the chrono all the time? If you switch the chrono off you have solved your problem

Robert,

I dont run the chrono all the time. As I said I just received the watch and was goign through the functions to check everything works as expected when I noticed this.

As you say the chrono doesn;t run all the time so it is not a problem, I was just concerned that this might indicate a flaw with the movement and I should be concerned it will not last long. If you and most of the experts here dont think it is a problem then I will leave it alone.

myaz

I'm betting you're still wondering why a $360 watch doesn't have a smooth sweep for the full 360 degrees.

If smarter people than me, and they abound, don't give you the answer you seek, you might try asking trusted dealer Mike McNair if he has experienced that. I respect his considerable knowledge and willingness to help out. This is the forum topic you would use:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=16589

Caliper

This is one of those things that you sometimes get with rep movements, either is not oiled properly or there are tiny metal pieces interfering with the chrono gears, I don't remember where I saw it but there was a video of a watch that had the chrono jump like yours and after a full service it was smooth. So a full service is needed for your watch.

KeNnY
This is one of those things that you sometimes get with rep movements, either is not oiled properly or there are tiny metal pieces interfering with the chrono gears, I don't remember where I saw it but there was a video of a watch that had the chrono jump like yours and after a full service it was smooth. So a full service is needed for your watch.

+1

anthonyd

+1

So what would you guys do in ym shoes? Just ignore it and maybe get it resolved one day when it gets serviced or take it up with the dealer? As I said I ony received it this morning.

Frankly I am tempted to just leave it, I just wanted to be sure it is not a sign that there is somethign major wrong.

Del

I know what you mean anthony - I would be a bit concerned too. However, I recommend that you monitor the watch for a few days and assess its normal operation, including timekeeping and auto-winding. If it runs well and without any issues then I would keep it. If it doesn't then I would return it.

I've already went through considerable hassle with my PAM 288 (with 7750 movement) due to the movement not operating correctly and returned it twice to China. After all that, the movement is still not perfect but it keeps good time and auto-winds so I'm happy to live with it until it fails and requires a full service (which is almost inevitable with A7750 movements).

Hope this helps. :lol:

debian

I had the same same strange behavior sweep on my PO Chrono, but it was not as bad as this..

Anyway has the watch stopped completely now. I don't know if it had anything to do with that... but it might be a indication that the movement is not in good condition.

anthonyd

Looks like it is time to be concerned. Two issue so far:

1. As of this morning it is running really fast. For example I set it 10 minutes ago and it has already gained 5 seconds.

2. One of the bezel screws fell off this morning. Fortunatly I found the screw and it has not worked loose but actually snapped off. The other piece can be seen by looking into the hole. It looks like the factory assembler broke it and then simply glued the borken half back in place. From my experience with metalwork removing broken 1mm or so bolts is not an easy task and not one I am really prepared to attempt on something that is one day old.

3. One of the caseback screws is missing. This is my own fault as I failed to check if they were tight before wearing the watch.

In Mary's defense I dont think she is to blame, probably as I said, something done in the factory and concealed up. I have emailed her and hopefully she can help amke good on what so far is a disappionting experience.

Shame because it is the first time I have tried using her.

Edited by anthonyd

myaz

A shame indeed. Don't base your opinion of Mary on just this watch. Bad luck of the draw kind of a thing.

She got it from the same source the next dealer would have. So it's the watch rather than the dealer.

The difference will be in how she handles the problem. Hang in there and keep us posted.

anthonyd
A shame indeed. Don't base your opinion of Mary on just this watch.

Yeah as I said, I am not judging Mary based on this, it is more than likely a luck thing and possibly a bit of deception on the factory's side not Mary's.

Mary has already responded and said she can send me new screws, but I dont think she has fully understood that the screw is broken and one half stuck in the watch so a new screw reall accomplishes nothing.

If it was an older watch and I had snapped the screw off I would take up her offer on a new screw and try to remove the old one myself. I would just prefer to leave that as a last resort and not a first one.

**UPDATE**

Mary tells me she understands that the screw is broken and says "I also will send rubber part and tool to you"

I am a little confused maybe someone here can help me out. What exactly is the rubebr part? Is it the piece I have pointed to below? It does not feel rubber to me though.

20110819_002.jpg

Edited by anthonyd

trailboss99

hmm, H Factory strike again I would guess. As had been said not Mary's fault (good to see you know that) but rather the somewhat disreputable maker who has a bad rep for QC. You are most likely right about the cause of the screw, sounds like a stunt they would pull.

As for the MVT, let it run and if it becomes an issue, have it serviced.

Col

opus9

I have this weirdness with my 21j silix cheapie. From the date wheel to the six position the second hand stops,starts,jumps all sorts and different every revolution..I was thinking as this was really really cheap, if it was worth just throwing in the bin,or buying a new movement..but its frigging annoying and if I had paid 360 bucks,not the 'bugger all' I paid I would be really upset..

I hope you get it sorted. One thing I can say though,speak to Mary (as you have done,and that's the correct procedure), as she is one fantastic dealer and having dealt with her, she will find a solution that makes you happy.

opus9

Wiz

It's a known issue with the Asian 7750. If not assembled correctly, gears may not engage properly, causing the chrono hand to "tick". It also happen when the same gears show signs of excessive wear.

Having the movement serviced by someone specialized in chrono movements (like G over at rwi) will resolve the problem. Worst case senario some new parts will be requiered to replace the worn ones.