Sign in to follow this  
nickee_2dS

How to open a Rolex?

nickee_2dS

Hello guys,

I've just received a Milgauss from Lay and I'd like to open it to put siliconic grease on the oring. But I've a problem, how I can open the back? I've tried with a caliber but not worked....

There's a homemade method to open it?

WebWind

Use sticky ball or homemade sticky ball. Wrap sticky tape around the ball (sticky side out) :)

balluse.gif

Cynikal.Mindset

BFH!

czmilosz

A slightly different version that works in a pinch is a racquetball.

Luthier

Caliper???

Why not a chisel/hammer combo?

PeterWorcester
Just be aware that a sticky ball may open one but will never get one tight enough to be properly waterproof. You need the correct tool for the job mate.

Fortunately the RWG shop has them: https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index...mp;productId=43

Just FYI on the kit in the RWG shop the dies DO NOT fir almost all replica teeth in the base casing well enough not to strip them.

I've have this set and I'm sorry but it just doesn't fit the majority of all the Rolex case backs , nt the Sub, GMT, YM YM II or others.

Be careful, while this is a great tool, the dies I received are almost worthless with every single screw case back I own. They are typically just a tad too small and you end up stripping the teeth.

Cheers,

Peter

dave47

BFH???

Translation, please. Still learning the lingo.

Thanks!

dave

quote name='Cynikal.Mindset' date='Aug 19 2011, 09:25 AM' post='287569']

BFH!

offshore
Just be aware that a sticky ball may open one but will never get one tight enough to be properly waterproof. You need the correct tool for the job mate.

Fortunately the RWG shop has them: https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index...mp;productId=43

Just FYI on the kit in the RWG shop the dies DO NOT fir almost all replica teeth in the base casing well enough not to strip them.

I've have this set and I'm sorry but it just doesn't fit the majority of all the Rolex case backs , nt the Sub, GMT, YM YM II or others.

Be careful, while this is a great tool, the dies I received are almost worthless with every single screw case back I own. They are typically just a tad too small and you end up stripping the teeth.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter,

Did you purchase your set from the RWGshop?

If you did please speak with Col.

However I do not believe you did buy from the shop.

Now if you read the information on this kit you will see-

"There are a large number of versions of this tool, available for sale, and a lot have faulty dies.

We discarded almost 8 models of this opener, before we found a well engineered version, with dies which actually fit the case backs without slipping (particularly the 29.5 die)

We were even able to coax the manufacture to sell us some spare dies to suit, so we can assist those who already own one of those with faulty dies, to upgrade, and finally get a useful tool."

So we are very aware of this issue.

The one thing you must be wary of, is that the Chinese will pack varying levels of quality tools in the same packaging. (We see it regularly with screwdriver sets as well)

So what looks the same can be very different in quality. It does mean however that we need to continue to QC check all tools shipped. If a cheaper set was supplied and has slipped through, the shop needs to know....(I don't believe this is the case BTW... I think you have a "similar" looking set!)

Please respond to this as it is a most important part of what we do in supplying QUALITY tools to the members.

Offshore.

flamagic

A wad of Duct tape works too!

chum_2000_uk

I just use my right bicep.

SeanusMaximus

i use chuck norris :unsure:

chum_2000_uk

Damn you... I can nae afford him

SeanusMaximus

oi...NO welsh bretheren, we dont use scottish slang here!

unless scottish...

chum_2000_uk

oi...NO welsh bretheren, we dont use scottish slang here!

unless scottish...

I'm 1/23rd Scottish... does that count?

SeanusMaximus

sorry, you need to be 4/16ths puerto-albanian

trailboss99

Peter, those dies fit perfectly mate. We have sold many of them and I use them myself.

You need to align the die exactly with the caseback. If it isn't level it won't grip. The correct amount of pressure is also important, too much and the threads will bind. Once the back is loosened a bit very little is needed. We went to a lot of trouble to find a set that works and they do, I am yet to find a back they will not remove if used correctly.

Col.

ReplicaFromDownunder

I place the rolex watch and twist it on my nipple. it actually works

fe22ari

Sticky ball don't do textured/brushed casebacks, works well with polished or display/glass ones.

SeanusMaximus

use this, might just do it:

crane_0.jpg

SeanusMaximus

my idea shoud do a better job :D

trailboss99

Peter, if you send me back the 29.5 die from the set I'll send you a new one that has been checked. Please PM me your shipping addy. I need to have a look at that die in case a bad one has somehow slipped in. We have just checked all current stock and found all to be a perfect fit.

Col