Sign in to follow this  
Hasaf

I am looking for some recomendations

Hasaf

I am planing to be in Xian this coming weekend. Xian is one of the cities with a pretty strong fake-mart district. I decided that I am looking for a new watch. Not because I need a new watch; because I want a new watch.

First, to provide people with a picture of what I consider adequate, my daily wear watch. A citizen Eco-drive, it has a chrono, date, and a little 24-hour hand that I never have looked at other than once to respond, “Uh, this thing has a 24-hour hand, useless.”

I find that use the chronograph frequently. I really can not see having a daily wear watch, at work, without one at this point.

The Eco-drive has proven to be reasonably durable and fashionable. My very fashionable female friend has recommended that I get something with a leather strap. Other than that, it passes the very fashionable female friend test.

To get it out of the way, I am going to cover what I don’t like. I don’t like big watches. I, recently, got a cheap Sub Rep just to see how I felt about 40mm. while the, affore mentioned, very fashionable female friend said it looked ok, it didn’t get a solid thumbs up. She also agreed, no bigger. My daughter (23) gave it a, “too big.”

6006970839_95e2db53a2_m.jpg

Sub Rep and my Citizen

I also do not like excessive, “Bling.” I am just not a, “Bling,” kind of guy. On a similar note, for religious reasons, I do not wear gold.

My first thought was the 39mm IWC Flieger Chronograph. I like the look. 39mm is on the edge, but not over the edge, on size. The features look nice. As a teacher I can even see the use of the,”day,” function. Sometimes, during the summer, it really is possible to loose track.

I do notice that the dials are recessed; whereas, on the gen, they are flush. Other than that, I do not see any real big problems.

However, many people have warned about the durability of the 7750 movement when the chronograph is used frequently. This got me thinking along a different route. The auto winder is not all that important. My first chronograph watch, back in the 80’s (a gen that was stolen by one of my sister’s ex-boyfriends) was a manual wind; it wasn’t that big of a deal to me.

So, that takes me to this. My research has led me to suspect that it is a fantasy model. However, I think it looks pretty good. Good enough to seek it out so that I can see it in person. Aesthetically it is nothing too special, manual wind, chronograph, within the acceptable size range.

While it appears a fantasy watch, it conforms to the labeled company’s normal aesthetics (except that all similar gens have a moon phase at the six).

Someone has recommended the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. It appears that they come in, vendor claimed, 36mm, 38mm, and the 50'th anniversary model at 40mm. Even though 40mm appears to be the correct size, I would definitely give the smaller version a look. It doesn't hurt that, unlike a Patek Philippe, no one would doubt an Omega on a college teacher.

Seeing what I consider attractive, can anyone point me to any others I should consider?

Sorry about the lack of pictures. I am still not clear of the "linking to pictures" rules on this site. Most sites are OK with linking to a product dealers photos as long as you provide proper credit for the picture; I do not know about this site.

Edited by Hasaf

therockerz

I am not sure if the 36 mm is correct. I thought the reduced version of the speedmaster was 38 mm ish :/

Have you had a look at other IWCs (Portugese, 3717 etc.), Omega aqua terra, de ville etc. , or even a Tag like the monaco (not so blingy) or the Link or Aquaracer.

If you do end up with a over-blingy watch, replace the bracelet with a strap.

You will fall in love with this one.

JTD_1387.jpg

Edited by therockerz

Luthier

You'll not find a decent replica in X'ian, they all there from GZ watch market, 21j, so-so quality.

Hasaf
You'll not find a decent replica in X'ian, they all there from GZ watch market, 21j, so-so quality.

I have been thinking of going to GZ to look at watches. I will be in Shanghai later this year and might make the side trip.

Part of the problem with getting too excited about a watch trip to GZ is that I am not too clear where to go. I know there was a diary of a GZ trip made by one of the members. However, I do not recall him being too clear where the watch markets were. I suspect that he probably didn't consider it too important to include because so few members would ever go there.

Can you name a few places in GZ to go and look?

Luthier

There's many beautiful places in GZ, any hotel clerk will tell you how to go there. I'd advice you to visit Bejing Lu, there's a mall with watch shops.

Shoot email to Mary, she'll bring you to the Watch Market. Or PM me, and I'll give you exact address.