Sign in to follow this  
wat44

ROBERT!!!!

wat44

Introducing The Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine Auto Excellence Platine: A Collector's Dream

2431710-13671905-thumbnail.jpg

All Platinum Everything, With A Heart of Gold

Everyone makes a watch with a platinum case, only Vacheron makes a watch with a platinum case, dial, hands, crown, buckle, and STITCHING. Yes, this watch is 100% platinum, and the coolness doesn't end there. In fact, this ultra-thin Vacheron uses arguably the most famous automatic movement ever made, at least according to watchnerds like us. But, let's start at the beginning.

In 2006, Vacheron Constantin announced a new line of watches dubbed the "Collection Excellence Platine" which are a special series of pieces built entirely out of platinum. They are typically limited to 150 units in each execution, and while the cases, crown, hands, and buckle are all in platinum, it is the sandblasted platinum dials of these watches that get the most attention. See that little "PT 950" between 4 and 5 o'clock? That's the platinum grade, in this case meaning that this alloy is 95% platinum.

And, as we mentioned above, even the buckle and stitching on this watch is platinum. You might be wondering how stitching can be platinum, and well, so are we, but we'll take Vacheron's word for it.

IMG_7889.jpg

The watch you see in these pictures is a brand new model in the Collection Excellence Platine, one that we actually discovered in the new Vacheron boutique before it became official. It is, in our opinion, the coolest piece of this all platinum line yet. And the reason? Well, you are looking the dial and seeing there is no date or seconds hand, so you probably assume this watch uses one of Vacheron's beautiful manually wound calibers. You'd be wrong. It uses this:

2431710-13733919-thumbnail.jpg

Any half-way serious watch guys knows exactly what he's looking at here, it's an ultra-thin automatic movement built on a track. In other words, it's the most famous automatic movement of all time, the movement that has gone by several names including the JLC 920, the AP 2120, the Patek 28-255 C, and when inside a Vacheron, the VC 1120. In even simpler terms, it's the automatic movement used by Patek Philippe in the very first reference of their Genta-designed Nautilus, the movement that Vacheron itself used in its Genta-esque 222, and of course, the movement used in the original Royal Oak from AP.

These movements were all built on an ebauche from JLC called the 920, and when Jaeger was sold by AP to Richemont, AP retained the rights to the movement. They still use it in the Reference 15202 "Jumbo" and as the base of most of their complicated pieces, but they also sell the 2120 to Vacheron for limited use. Though, in most cases, Vacheron uses these movement as the base for their complications, they have decided to let the simple automatic movement stand alone in this limited edition, all platinum dress watch.

This new Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine Auto Excellence Platine is a very special watch. The limited nature, the all platinum surrounds (we really can't get over the platinum stitching), and of course, the use of one of the most desirable automatic movements of all time make this piece a true collector's dream. Retail is around $53,000 and if interested in purchasing one, we suggest you contact Vacheron as quickly as possible.

Wiz

Very nice watch, but I'll take the altiplano over it anyday, even if it's 10 times cheaper.

Dr.Verylong

I only read the first word of the headline and thought this was a call to action for Robert to get this replicated.

I'd buy the rep and add a nice strap.

Edited by Dr.Verylong

Member X

Nice! Classic VC - classy, understated.

dingle
:lol:

ekho

Beautiful, classic and timeless. Have been a fan of VC for awhile.

But I find the platinum detail just a tad bit excessive.

SeanusMaximus

Clean lines - looks nice! Never really looked into VC much before, may have to delve in!

NFleischer

Classy dress watch- I probably won't be droppinng 50K on it soon.

I keep thinking rep PAM when I see that strap.

AustinTech

I dig it.

When the shit hits the fan and stock traders are falling from the sky onto the streets of NYC I'll pry one of these off a wrist and smile.

honeybear

Very nice watch, but the Platinum stitching might be taking things too far.

NFleischer

8310-41-11-11761.jpg

Here's a poor mans substitute- Eterna with SW 220 for $700. Not bad.

myaz

GL01003_GLASHUTTE_SENATOR_SIXTIES_1100LSP_A-17J_1__31295_zoom.jpg

or this one for $78