Sign in to follow this  
tommylad

How do you wind a manual movement?

tommylad

Hi guys,

At the risk of sounding very stupid, how do I wind a manual movement? Just got a Tag Heuer carrera Calibre 1 with A6497 manual movement. I've been turning the crown clockwise (upwards) but the watch isn't going.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Tommy

dingle

weird...that is the correct way. Have you got it fully wound?

flottiglia

Is it wound tight so it won't wind any further or is it just winding and winding forever with no resistance?

tommylad
weird...that is the correct way. Have you got it fully wound?

As far as I can tell, although it hasn't been overwound. It seems to be moving occasionally but then stopping. Is that likely to be a problem with it or have I wound it incorrectly?

flottiglia

You can't overwind them and you have wound correctly.

Give it a bit of a shake and see if the balance wheel starts going.It might just be a bit sticky.If it goes for a while and stops again it will need to be looked at or sent back mate.

tommylad

Give it a bit of a shake and see if the balance wheel starts going.It might just be a bit sticky.If it goes for a while and stops again it will need to be looked at or sent back mate.

It starts going but will then stop again very quickly. Sound like a dud? Might have to return it I guess.

flottiglia

It starts going but will then stop again very quickly. Sound like a dud? Might have to return it I guess.

Ok mate,only other obvious things to check is whether you can see any loose screws or anything in the movement.Sometimes they drop out in transit and jam the movement up.Also check the hands are not catching on the crystal and stopping it.

Otherwise its return as DOA..

tommylad

No loose parts that I can see and the hands seem to be fine. I'll email Timeshops and then look to return it DOA. Do we foot the bill for sending it across and then they send a replacement and cover the return shipping cost?

Cheers.

flottiglia
No loose parts that I can see and the hands seem to be fine. I'll email Timeshops and then look to return it DOA. Do we foot the bill for sending it across and then they send a replacement and cover the return shipping cost?

Cheers.

I would think so but i've never dealt with T/S specifically.

Make sure you send it back exactly as he specifies,usually the cheapest airmail method otherwise the return can get hung up in customs.

ReplicaFromDownunder

Let me know if timeshops sort this out. Purchased a lot from them, dont know about aftersales service with them

Member X

If it's a display back, can you post some pics of the movement or a video?

tommylad
If it's a display back, can you post some pics of the movement or a video?

Here are some photos of the movement. How do you embed photos into a post? Haven't worked out how to do that.

Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1 6497 movement

Hope this helps.

tommylad

When I woke up this morning the watch was fine. I will keep you guys updated when I next wind it,

Tommy

bme

Just click on your photobucket picture and a dialogue box appears.........click on IMG Code and it automatically copies. Paste into the reply here and hey presto!

105.jpg

Comex

Sevenveen Jewels???

Bought also a piece from TS, Mark contacts pretty quickly and helps great.