Sign in to follow this  
conx

Chronographs... Why?

conx

I'm sure I'm opening myself up to some pithy replies here, but can someone enlighten me to the joys of chronographs?

I find that the face is too busy with the extra dials and I can't imagine why I would ever use a stopwatch function. I'm perfectly open to having my mind changed but at the moment I don't even consider watches with a chrongraph.

vonGluberschmidt

personal preference.

nobody really uses them for what they were designed for.... well, not often.

I love em.

but only on certain models.

houndoggie

It's a narrow mind that can't appreciate why someone else would like something that you don't

Dendo
It's a narrow mind that can't appreciate why someone else would like something that you don't

Is that not the description of a wife or GF???

Corv99

i like the look of them, but don't care if they work or not really, purely cosmetic :D

Luthier

That's your personal choice. I have half of my watches with chronos, and half without. Sometimes I do measure time by chrono, mostly I don't.

Why chronos then? Well... First - because the watch with chrono looks more serious machine, and it's all about look, right?

Second - some watches (if it's not a dress watch, that must be non-chrono) looks too plain and simple, and if the watch is plain and simple, it must be something very speacial. Not most, but some of plain'n'simples aren't good looking watches. Take a look on the PAMs, for example... No, not on beautoful 288, 223 or goooorgeous 224... but on 112, 176, etc... Huge chunk of metal with practically empty dial... just 2 hands, nothing more. And it's not a dress watch. So, add a few subdials and, maaayybe... it will look better. :D

But - it's MY PERSONAL opinion only.

flottiglia

I use chronos quite a lot for timing...sports mainly but also mundane stuff such as parking.I might pay for an hour and set the chrono running,no danger of running over time.Yes you can just think "i need to be back at 3.17pm" but invariably i forget what time i left the car.

They are useful to me and i love the look too,but each to their own.

In the gen and vintage world watches with complications will always be more sought after than equivalent time only pieces.Collectors love complications be it chrono,triple date,moonphase or tourbillon etc.

powderfreak

Chrono makes ya sexy!

Luthier
I use chronos quite a lot for timing...sports mainly but also mundane stuff such as parking.I might pay for an hour and set the chrono running,no danger of running over time.Yes you can just think "i need to be back at 3.17pm" but invariably i forget what time i left the car.

Man, you're GENIUS!!!!!!!

I never thought to use chrono for it!!! And I pay A LOT of parking tickets...

Thanks for the hint!!!

flottiglia

Thanks for the hint!!!

Glad it ain't just me Luth,only trouble is chrono doesn't help when you forget where you parked the effin car in the first place ! :rofl:

SeanusMaximus

When I am bored - I time mundane things :rofl:

greg_r

Simple answer: why not?

I think I've used the chrono function on one of my watches in anger once - to time some sequences in a roughcut of a promo video we were making for work. Other than that, I never bother to run them.

Whilst I prefer simpler dials (easier to read!), I've got a handful of chrono watches simply because I like the look of 'em. You have to admit that it's as good a reason as any :rofl:

fe22ari

Cooking eggs

Dendo

I love technical things. Watches with complications are more technical.

Hardly ever use a chrono. Timing parking, lectures, travel time, boring speeches I have to sit through. But it is not often I use them.

Watch has too look good. And be technically interesting for me. But esthetics come first. So about half my watches are chronos.

conx

Thanks for the input guys. I really like the idea about timing parking - brilliant. That's actually a use I can see myself using. I also take the point about aesthetics being important - I have felt that it can make the dial look cluttered, but after asking the question I have spent some time browsing the AD websites and have seen a few watches I really like - the AP Royal Oak especially. I think I may give one a try and see how I get on in daya to day use.

chum_2000_uk

I personally both prefer the look of chrono watches, and sometimes find the functionality useful - timing jogs, baking, all sorts of things really. Admittedly they are pretty trivial things, and more often than not I'd have other ways of timing, but seeing as it's on my wrist I may as well use it when I can.

Just because you never use a stopwatch, doesn't mean other people don't, and just because you find the watch busy, doesn't mean others don't prefer the look of subdials on a watch. I often find non chrono watches look plain and boring, so I'd look to other things about the watch catch my eye instead of chrono dials. That's another reason I really am not taken by PAMs, to me they all look the same and pretty boring, although the regattas look alright.

onionbag

Baking? Tell us more.

fe22ari

I'm a Chef. baking is a good one (along with cooking boiled eggs). Just wish there was a nice alarm chrono of some kind as opposed to some plastic Casio type thing.

JohnG

Thanks for the hint!!!

fuck that, use the countdown timer on your mobile phone, it MAKES NOISE. No chrono does that.

there is only one reason for getting a chrono - it looks fucking cool, that's why people get them, any other reason they give you is bs.

Caliper

I tend to be a very on time guy, so I'm always measuring the time while I'm doing stuff or going somewhere so I use the chrono a lot.

I sometimes find non chrono watches dials a little bland, but I understand how you may find some chrono watches dial too busy.... *cough*breitling*cough*

honeybear

I have only two mechanical chronographs, but that's because my taste tends to be in 38mm-40mm elegant dress watches. One thing is that having a chronograph feature instantly makes a watch look much sportier, and to a great extent, the replica crazy is primarily driven by sports watches, which accounts for their widespread popularity.

Another thing is that there is no practical reason to prefer a mechanical movement, except that it has a "soul." In particular, it's really quite fascinating (to me) that a hand-powered mechanical device can keep time as well as it can, and a mechanical chronograph is one step up in terms of the complication of the movement.

The chronograph is probably the most complicated complication that is available in a relatively affordable chinese movement, the next one being the tourbillon. To my knowledge, there are no affordable annual calendar, perpetual calendar, or minute repeater movements. Back to the thing about sporty watches, apart from the chronograph complication, the other complications I mentioned tend to primarily show up in dress watches, although Hublot and Richard Mille are doing their best to change that for the tourbillon.

I have to admit that in my case, I tend not to use the chronograph features, preferring to use my iPhone for countdown alarms. Now, an alarm on a mechanical watch would be a really cool feature, and if anyone makes a functional replica of a JLC Master Control Memovox, I'll be the first in line. Indeed, I wouldn't even mind a quartz version, if the omit the second hand.

141.84.30_main.jpg

chum_2000_uk

Thanks for the hint!!!

fuck that, use the countdown timer on your mobile phone, it MAKES NOISE. No chrono does that.

there is only one reason for getting a chrono - it looks fucking cool, that's why people get them, any other reason they give you is bs.

:wub:

Yeah nice one John

fe22ari

6112382470_c204fd8d0d.jpg

Citizen Alarm Date Parawater: Mechanical watch with alarm! Bit rare though. I have 2.

zig

Agreed, mechanical alarm watches are great. I've got a Poljot and a 1972 Seiko Bellmatic, love them both.

mspangl

Love the tri-compax setup. 3-6-9.. Couldn't imagine a nicer dial :P