Sign in to follow this  
tekilla

When inevitably you get asked 'that' question

tekilla

You all know the question I mean;

"Nice watch, is it real?"

How do you reply to that? Are you honest and say it's a replica, but it's got an amazing quality movement inside (IE: not just a £10 carboot sale knock off)? Do you tell a white lie?

I got asked about my Monaco twice on Friday, but both people simply asked how much it cost rather than to outright ask if it was real. I'm generally a pretty honest person so skirted around the issue with a reply of "not sure, I brought it abroad (technically it has come from abroad) and paid on my credit card".

How do you reply?

trailboss99

Easy,

"Yeah it's a real watch. Look, it tells the time and all"

KeNnY

"Thank you, do you want to touch it?"

greg_r

Last time someone asked me if the Rolex DSSD I was wearing was real, I just told 'em "No, it's a fucking tattoo".

They went away after that.

:Whistle:

Personally, if it's a close friend that's asking, I'd assume that they're genuinely interested (most of my friends know I'm into watches) and tell 'em it's a rep. If anyone else asks, they're being impertinent and it's none of their damned business, so they'd get the brushoff as above.

have a search of the board - you'll find that this question comes up regularly :D

Charleston

I hate people who ask how much something costs if they dont know you. Its bullshit IMO. Whether it be cars, watches, etc.

greg_r
I hate people who ask how much something costs if they dont know you. Its bullshit IMO. Whether it be cars, watches, etc.

+1

Frankt8242

I must live in an alternate universe.....I've been wearing literally hundreds of different watches for 60+ years, and I've NEVER been asked that..!!!

I did get a guy asking about my V1.5 Ploprof just last week, and I gladly bragged that I was smart enough to NOT pay $6000.+ for a real one, even though I've been wanting one for 30+ years since I saw Cousteau in person wearing one !!

he was absolutely amazed when I told him how little I paid for such am impressive watch!!

I guess I'm finally comfortable enough "in my skin" to prefer to impress folks with my frugality than my monetary wealth.... :D:dingleberry-nemesis: :dingleberry-nemesis:

tyrantblade

I would ask if they would know if it was real by looking at it, if they think they would I would let them see it, if not then they don't really need to see it do they?

Ollifl

How about "it's quartz, it can't be real" in reference to some PP or Cartier, I heard this conversation in one of the auctions I went to recently, it continued, "see honey, one of the sure ways to tell if it's real, is to check the movement of the second hand, this Patek is not real, this sub is real, see the difference?" the girl said, "oh honey, I'm so lucky to have you buying me the watch.....", they ended up buying a channel J12 in full retail close to $3500.00 plus 18% auction fee + 6% sales tax...

SeanusMaximus

I just drop my trousers and smile....:D

Maybe that's why I'm banned fron public places...

cvp3
I must live in an alternate universe.....I've been wearing literally hundreds of different watches for 60+ years, and I've NEVER been asked that..!!!

I did get a guy asking about my V1.5 Ploprof just last week, and I gladly bragged that I was smart enough to NOT pay $6000.+ for a real one, even though I've been wanting one for 30+ years since I saw Cousteau in person wearing one !!

he was absolutely amazed when I told him how little I paid for such am impressive watch!!

I guess I'm finally comfortable enough "in my skin" to prefer to impress folks with my frugality than my monetary wealth.... :D:dingleberry-nemesis: :dingleberry-nemesis:

Everyone at work knows I'm a "watch guy". Over 50 different watches have been to work. No one's ever asked "the question". If they did, I'd come clean and say of course they're fake. If all these watches were real do you think I'd be able to afford these awesome Dickies slacks?

tekilla

I guess as well that if someone needs to ask if it's genuine, then they won't know if you're telling porkies when you say it is....

fe22ari
Last time someone asked me if the Rolex DSSD I was wearing was real, I just told 'em "No, it's a fucking tattoo".

:popcorn:

Member X

"Thank you, do you want to touch it?"

haha

Are you referring to the watch or something else when you say this? :D :P

samurai dave

Well my daily wear is my ceramic rolex. I love it and wear it all the time, it has been on the three peak challange with me in wind and rain and not missed a beat. There is a review that I posted about it but that was on the feedback for Lay so it may have gone.

Anyway I digress. There is a bloke in onther one of our offices and he saw it one day, he is well up on his watches and has a very nice collection of omega, rolex that are worth quite a lot of money. Now I know how much he gets paid so he must have loans out for most of these watches. Now he sees my watch and he is green with envy. He asks to see it and I oblige by taking it off and letting him have a look. It paws over it for several minutes and says 'it is real isnt it?' Now if I had said yes he would have accepted that but I said that no it was a very good replica and how did he tell? He said that he thought the lume was a bit lumpy. That was all he could spot and he would never seen that if I had not given it to him to look at.

So the short answer is I tell the truth if they ask. Mind you i dont think this guy is ever going to speak to me again. Oh well I didnt like him much anyway.

:P

SubFrog

Yea, they don't usually ask me if it's real...but, for some reason, they ALWAYS want me to take it off so they can hold it or try it on their wrist.

Hey, nice shirt you got there...can I wear it? DUUUUUH :P

samurai dave

Yea I should learn really and not take it off my wrist. Mind you there is a certain smug feeling from watching a grown mans face crumple as he starts to cry.

:unsure:

honeybear
How about "it's quartz, it can't be real" in reference to some PP or Cartier, I heard this conversation in one of the auctions I went to recently, it continued, "see honey, one of the sure ways to tell if it's real, is to check the movement of the second hand, this Patek is not real, this sub is real, see the difference?" the girl said, "oh honey, I'm so lucky to have you buying me the watch.....", they ended up buying a channel J12 in full retail close to $3500.00 plus 18% auction fee + 6% sales tax...

Patek and Cartier do make quartz watches. Patek even has an in-house quartz movement, and although it currently only shows up on their women's line, it used to be available on the Patek Calatrava line.

Ollifl

Patek and Cartier do make quartz watches. Patek even has an in-house quartz movement, and although it currently only shows up on their women's line, it used to be available on the Patek Calatrava line.

That's what I was referring to, J12 is also a quartz as I understand

chum_2000_uk

I go with something along similar lines to Sean on this one... I grab their crotch and say "as real as those tiny balls of yours". Or if it's a female I smell her hair and walk off. Sorry I meant wank off.

SeanusMaximus
I go with something along similar lines to Sean on this one... I grab their crotch and say "as real as those tiny balls of yours". Or if it's a female I smell her hair and walk off. Sorry I meant wank off.

:)

powderfreak
I just drop my trousers and smile....;)

:) good idea!

SeanusMaximus
I just drop my trousers and smile....;)

:) good idea!

im the reason the houses of parliament have the concrete barriers surrounding it, anti sean measures, slow my progress whilst i waddle towards the politicians with my trousers round my ankles..

Pob

If someone ask i just tell them as it is ;) I don't care, love watches so much and are not stupid to buy new one when i can and do have more than 30 :)

Dendo

The people I work with wear gens (old fart dentists) - but they typically only have one and wear this one all the time.

The number of different watches I wear should make them suspicious that not all my watches could be gens.

But they never ask and if they did I would look at them and laugh - wearing and knowing only one watch, they would not have the experience to tell. So, I guess I lie.

One of the guys is a gen collector who has about five expensive APs. When I am likely to see him I wear a gen or a quality non-AP rep. These gen collectors have the same passion as us, just a lot more money to spend on their hobby.