Sign in to follow this  
Chiquita Fanjita

Recommend best rep for an older gent

Chiquita Fanjita

Guys I'm looking to buy a rep for my dad, but want something that is classic and not too blingy that would suit a 67 year old man. Throughout his working life he was in the bespoke menswear business (think of Saville Row), so has particular traditional tastes.

I am also looking for something that isn't too complicated to work, probably ideally a quartz movement so he can just put it on and wear it without having to adjust and set the watch every time he doesn't wear it for a few days.

Whats your recommendations? Doesn't matter if leather strap or bracelet and pics are more than welcome.

Cheers :thumbsup:

2point

What about one of those Parnis jobs Mike McNair posted up the other day - clear and understated.

flamagic

Definitely something from Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantin (the Patrimony) not too big - in gold, on a strap....

Regards,

Dan

greg_r

Surely it has to be an original Rolex Datejust or Day Date?

Monsieur_B
Guys I'm looking to buy a rep for my dad, but want something that is classic and not too blingy that would suit a 67 year old man. Throughout his working life he was in the bespoke menswear business (think of Saville Row), so has particular traditional tastes.

I am also looking for something that isn't too complicated to work, probably ideally a quartz movement so he can just put it on and wear it without having to adjust and set the watch every time he doesn't wear it for a few days.

Whats your recommendations? Doesn't matter if leather strap or bracelet and pics are more than welcome.

Probably you will be flooded with Roleyand PAMin a second,but I happen to not be a fan of these (shame on me) therefor I suggest an Omega Sea/Speedmaster or rather a De Ville which is not that bling. Maybe a Tag Carrera, but to land the prize maybe the best would be a Cartier. If you check at Roberts auction there are several quartz Cartiers, and recently they happen to be very well made.

Not sure what your dad's taste is but my two faws are Patek Phillippe and Vacheron Contsantin both are very elegant.

flamagic

Probably you will be flooded with Roleyand PAMin a second,but I happen to not be a fan of these (shame on me) therefor I suggest an Omega Sea/Speedmaster or rather a De Ville which is not that bling. Maybe a Tag Carrera, but to land the prize maybe the best would be a Cartier. If you check at Roberts auction there are several quartz Cartiers, and recently they happen to be very well made.

Not sure what your dad's taste is but my two faws are Patek Phillippe and Vacheron Contsantin both are very elegant.

Yes, Cartier would be great also. Go for small, elegant, simple and classic. Just my opinion, but most 67yo men don't want a big, clunky, heavy watch (Rolex/PAM) on their wrist all the time. Buy him a heavy watch and You'll find that he hardly wears it....IMHO

Dan

Member X

Dark grey mother of pearl dial DJII, as listed by Mary?

pamelo
Surely it has to be an original Rolex Datejust or Day Date?

I would say so. The stainless steel rep with swiss eta 2836 movement is excellent value. should cost around $200 at Timeshop or Silix. Avoid any gold--the plating can vary.

graman

IWC Vintage Portuguese, or a glaschutte senator....

....or a Lange1 :thumbsup:

Chiquita Fanjita

Thanks for all the replies already guys.

Greg, totally agree. I had thought of a Rolex myself as they are timeless, but these are all mainly 21j or Asian Clone which he would need to reset if didn't wear it for a while, which is an option although the easier the better.

Cartier is another option, as I recently bought a Santos 100 Chrono myself, which he might like without the chrono.

Don't fancy a Panerai as they are not his style.

Will have a look at the Parnis Mike posted and also Patek Phillippe and Vacheron Contsantin as its that kinda elegant look I'm after but something that can still be worn everyday.

What you guys think of an IWC?

Keep them coming, its much appreciated :thumbsup:

grb

Saville Row only problem hand wind about $100

oiwc.jpg

Chiquita Fanjita
Saville Row only problem hand wind about $100

oiwc.jpg

Now I like that, that's one kinda style I had in mind.

Crusader

Of course, it has to be IWC. Great subtile design which older gent usually prefer, nothing too fancy or blingy.

Browse through Timesshop shop, they have great variety of IWC. Not necessary order at TS, just to get the idea.

grb

I think its still available, I bought this for about $65 and then put a better strap on it. It also comes in a porcelain white with blue numerals

Rav747

Omega railmaster? I think anyone can pull that off :thumbsup:

Oh, and Lange's are nice too. Robert has a nice selection of them in a newer listing.

Edited by Rav747

NFleischer

Any automatic or handwind watch will need to be reset. How about a IWC Portuquese Quartz?

You cant go wrong with a Rolex- even the older 36mm. models

wat44

well done NFleischer - I think the IWC Port (quartz) was a perfect answer

Chiquita Fanjita

Quite like the Railmaster on leather strap.

Will keep an eye on the IWC Port thats on Roberts auction ;)

Hasaf

As someone else commented, it is unlikely that an older man is going to be attracted to the "giant watch" fad. At 42mm, it looks pretty big. Few men will want to wear a hockey puck, even a gold plated hockey puck, strapped to their wrist on a regular basis.

I agree that it is a beautiful watch; however, it at that size it would be better suited for use as a pocket watch. Do note that it is significantly larger than the original. Back to the question, I asked my father a similar question and he asked me to look for a pocket watch.

geniejc

Patek philippe calatrava ?

Reg Narika has a few different versions - slim simple elegant.