Sign in to follow this  
Luthier

Tandy Leather.

The_Monkey
Maybe I agree about tubes, but not about oblong (oval) h0oles. All top quality straps I saw has it, and it looks beautiful.

I guess I'll order it custom made.

The oval holes are by far the exception in the chunky PAM strap world.

Strapculture, Heroic18, Red12 all use the round holes.

Delaurian, who has a backlog even though he charges like $300, uses round holes.

Even the OEM PAV straps had round holes.

I'm with you on liking the oval look better, seems "cleaner" to me, just letting you know that it isn't an essential even if you're trying to sell 'em.

as for the tubes, I was under the impression you would put the spring bars through them

PAMs normally use screw bars but people strip the lugs and switch to these fat springbars that have the same outside diameter as the tubes and a slot on one end so they look like the screwbars.

You really don't want to use springbars and tubes on any watch where the lugs aren't drilled all the way through, otherwise you can't get it off the watch without destroying something. The tube gets in the way of the springbar tool and you cant compress the springbar enough to get the strap out.

alphakazi
You really don't want to use springbars and tubes on any watch where the lugs aren't drilled all the way through, otherwise you can't get it off the watch without destroying something. The tube gets in the way of the springbar tool and you cant compress the springbar enough to get the strap out.

ah yes, makes perfect sense Monkey - see Luth, I told ya so :)

Luthier

ah yes, makes perfect sense Monkey - see Luth, I told ya so :P

You know everything, Kazi... agreed with you on that.

:)

Still searching for oblong punch, no luck yet, I guess I'll order it from toolmaking company, if I'll find one. After seeing oblong holes, round ones and even oval holes - naaah...

KBH

I ran across this web site a while ago. Might be of interest to you.

exotic leathers

KinCaidk

Luth> Just saw this thread now.

I have no doubt, that you will make beautiful straps.

I mean... You make stunning guitars, so a strap will hardly be a big challenge :P

Getat

Wow.....great source of leathers.

Some many good leathers in US. But in HK .....

:P

trailboss99

Luither: I saw an oval punch just the other day on a watch supply site. Can't remember where. I'll look back and see if I can find it for you.

I bet you could make some nice guitar straps too!

Monkey: I don't hink you quite understand who you're dealing with here.

The man is a perfectionist. Have a look HERE and HERE and HERE.

Get th idea? :thumbsup:

Col.

Luthier

KBH, thanks for great site!!!

Guys, there's 2 different types of holes - round, oval and oblong.

The picture of the white strap I posted, has oblong holes, it's much more beautiful than oval holes. I have professional puncher for round holes, can easily buy oval holes punch, but still can't find oblong puncher. And it make me mad. I asked my friends in HK to contact Panda Chen, he didn't answer on email, mofo... and he has this punch, could point on source. Maybe he smell competition?

@Getat - maybe you can help somehow?

The_Monkey
Monkey: I don't hink you quite understand who you're dealing with here.

The man is a perfectionist. Have a look HERE and HERE and HERE.

Get th idea? :bottle:

Col.

Ooooohhhhhh.... pretty....

Wait, where was I? Excuse me, I need to go grab a towel before the drool ruins my keyboard.

Luthier
Luither: I saw an oval punch just the other day on a watch supply site. Can't remember where. I'll look back and see if I can find it for you.

I bet you could make some nice guitar straps too!

Col.

Thanks, Boss, I'm sure you'll find this site again.

omni

Luthier:

I'm sure you can order direct from Tandy online the size of oblong punch you want for about $25. Try Here.

Tandy, any good hippie or hippie musician from the '70's knows of Tandy. Had my first awl and punch from them. Growing up in that era on the USA West Coast, we all made our own leather decorated shit from leather hats, belts, guitar straps, leather embossed jeans, etc. You just couldn't get through the decade without their hand awl! Far out man! Peace out......... :bottle:

P_Diddy

have you made any straps yet? :bottle:

Luthier

I have Tandy Leather store a few blocks from my house, and today I visited Tandy Leather store in Fountain Valley, bought wonderful diamond punches, one with 4 points, and one single point. Smallest oblong punch they have is 1/2".

Bought great leather there, so, I'm fully equipped now, except oblong punch, but guys from Tandy gave me canadian magazine, all about leather art, and there I found kany companies, who make special tools, including punches, so, on Monday I'll call to all of them.

No, I didn't make any straps yet, but I'll start next day after I'll get my oblong punch. Besides... it's my honeymoon time...kinda buzzzyyy...

:wub:

Here's what I have for now...

;)

Tandy-1-1.jpg

Tandy-2-1.jpg

alphakazi

that's a lot o goodies there Luth - have fun! Looking forward to seeing some progress pics

trailboss99

Looks like you have most everything you need. You never do things by halvs do you mate?

Col.

Luthier
Looks like you have most everything you need. You never do things by halvs do you mate?

Col.

Never. If I'm interested in something - I'll study about the thing everything from A to Z.

Here I'm on stage C, I guess...

:thumbsup2:

trailboss99

Frankly I'm waiting to see the guitar straps you will invitably be making to go with your works of art. Picture an ammo style strap on the M16, with "Master" branding of cause! Easy to do with a custom made brand iron or a trip to your local laser engraving place.

You know, I love OZ but I wish we had the varity of shopping you guys take for granted Stateside. Any time I have been to LA or NYK I spend hours window shopping at all the amazing stuff we don't get to see here. Yeah, I know it's all available online but I so much prefer to shop in person.

Oh, and Stateside prices would be nice too!

Col.

Luthier

No, guitars straps isn't my passion. Watches straps - yes, it became one.

Sure, come over with a bad of greens and buy whatever you want.

:thumbsup2: