Sign in to follow this  
Luthier

Tandy Leather.

Luthier

I visited local Tandy Leather store, that's about a mile from my house.

Boy, oh, boy...

There's fantastic leather, tools, pigments, bonds, everything you need for making straps, and much more.

I quickly befriended with Travis, who works there, and he promised me any help I need.

I bough professional holes puncher (I don't know, why the hell I need professional, but for $25... why not?), and will come tomorrow with full list of tools and chemicals I need, so, soon I'll try to make a few straps, and, IF it will be good ones - I'll post a few pictures, and, if you, guys, will like it - I PROMISE to make 1 strap to everyone who will ask. For free, ofcourse, cuz I'll make it just for my own pleasure.

Special THANKS!!!!!!!!!! to John, for posting great tutorial on straps making.

Tandy-1.jpg

Tandy-2.jpg

houndoggie

Cool!! Thanks, and I look forward to seeing your work..

AllergyDoc

I remember Tandy Leather from my childhood, eons ago. Have at it, Luthier. You should be a natural.

Member X

Ooooh, this could be a nice little sideline if you get good :rofl:

alphakazi

I'm excited

Luthier
I'm excited

Me too. Travis said - it's addiction.

alphakazi
I'm excited

Me too. Travis said - it's addiction.

I can imagine, look how many styles you can make - one will never be enough if you enjoy it as much as those beautiful masterpiece guitars you build.

I have 1st dibbs on the giveaway!!! :rofl: then I want you to teach me - high quality straps for all! (well VIP/Supporters only :lol: )

Luthier

My second trip to Tandy cost me a few hundreds bucks, but I'm almost fully equipped.

Bought a big bag of leather and some tools, glue, edge kote, etc, etc.

Tandy-3.jpg

Tandy-4.jpg

Luthier

Any advice, where I can buy these tubes?

And - what is the distance between lugs on PAMs? Most has 24mm, right?

br12.jpg

alphakazi

nice collection of leather there Luth - good luck ;)

is that just a spacer that gets removed when the glue sets?

Luthier
nice collection of leather there Luth - good luck ;)

is that just a spacer that gets removed when the glue sets?

No, it's permanent tubes for pins, much easier to insert pins, and strap looks more professional.

alphakazi

nice - I've seen them around before - will keep my eyes open

greg_r

Luthier - just do a search for Panerai tubes on eBay there are plenty of sellers around. As far as sizes go, 40mm PAMs take 22mm straps. 44mm / 24mm straps, 47mm / 26mm straps.

Skool

Looks good, wish you all the best with the strap making. Mind me asking what strap making guide you are following?

Luthier
Looks good, wish you all the best with the strap making. Mind me asking what strap making guide you are following?

This one:

http://www.replica-watch-guide.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1846

Greg, you hinting me about Fiddy?

:beer2:

What color do you prefer?

Anyway... I'll make all 3 sizes.

Alpha, I saw it on eBay, 20 pieces in pack. It's for 10 straps. I need tubes for about 30 straps.

I'll ask my girl.

KBH

Maybe in a couple of months you'll have your own section here. :rofl:

greg_r

This one:

http://www.replica-watch-guide.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1846

Greg, you hinting me about Fiddy?

:rofl:

What color do you prefer?

Anyway... I'll make all 3 sizes.

Alpha, I saw it on eBay, 20 pieces in pack. It's for 10 straps. I need tubes for about 30 straps.

I'll ask my girl.

Haha - thanks, Luthier but no I wasn't hinting - I think I have the Fiddy strap situation well sorted now, but thanks for the offer, mate. :rofl:

KBH makes a good suggestion by the way. If you decide to get into selling straps, I'm sure we can work something out :rofl:

KBH

I'm also seeing a chance for maybe a couple of nice forum giveaways. Add a little something to the pot.

Luthier

Haha - thanks, Luthier but no I wasn't hinting - I think I have the Fiddy strap situation well sorted now, but thanks for the offer, mate. :thumbsup:

KBH makes a good suggestion by the way. If you decide to get into selling straps, I'm sure we can work something out :D

Yeah... Kia is a good car too.. until you'd drive Porsche.

;)

Well... First - I have no idea, how my first straps will come out. Second - I'm excited because it's a new field to me, and I want to try it.

Third - I don't know, for how long this thrill will stay. And Fourth - I'm a Luthier, not a strap maker. How many straps I should make to get monetary equivalent of the price of my guitar? If the price of my best strap will be $70-$100 (I'll never ever ask ridiculous $250) even for the best strap, it's a fucking shame), I'll need to make 60-70 straps a month to get same money that I get for 1 guitar.

Anyway... future will show.

greg_r

True enough - was just a thought. :thumbsup:

Luthier

OK, guys, I need a little help.

I found where to buy tubes, right here, in L.A., so, this problem is solved.

I have 2 more.

1. Maybe somebody know, where to buy leather. Tandy don't have much crocos and other exotics. I need sources.

2. I need oval holes puncher, and Tandy don't have it. Any tips?

Just found it on Panatime, but it punch 5mm holes. Is it real size of Panerai strap oval hole??? 5mm???

Holes.jpg

The_Monkey

You don't need an oval punch, just use a big enough round one, that's the way a lot of the aftermarket straps are anyway.

Don't worry about tubes, again, a lot of the aftermarket straps (don't know about OEM), even the ones in the $70-$100 range, don't come with them. They're nice to have but they aren't necessary and they aren't typically permanently affixed in the straps, they slide out so if people are too damn lazy to use the set they've already got, that's their problem. You have to remove them anyway if you're going to use spring bars.

No clue where to get croc or gator but there's a guy on ebay that I hear has nice ostrich shins (haven't personally dealt with him)

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/EtgarLeather-E...c__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Luthier
You don't need an oval punch, just use a big enough round one, that's the way a lot of the aftermarket straps are anyway.

Don't worry about tubes, again, a lot of the aftermarket straps (don't know about OEM), even the ones in the $70-$100 range, don't come with them. They're nice to have but they aren't necessary and they aren't typically permanently affixed in the straps, they slide out so if people are too damn lazy to use the set they've already got, that's their problem. You have to remove them anyway if you're going to use spring bars.

No clue where to get croc or gator but there's a guy on ebay that I hear has nice ostrich shins (haven't personally dealt with him)

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/EtgarLeather-E...c__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Maybe I agree about tubes, but not about oblong (oval) h0oles. All top quality straps I saw has it, and it looks beautiful.

I guess I'll order it custom made.

Holes-2.jpg

alphakazi

I'm not sure you could use a round punch for that and knowing you Luth, you won't settle for anything that's less than great - this tool must be for sale somewhere

as for the tubes, I was under the impression you would put the spring bars through them

anyhow, good luck with the experimenting - looking forward to some progress pics :D