Sign in to follow this  
cvp3

What is the protocol when a watch dies - Mary supplied

cvp3

Received another shipment from Mary. 7th of 9 watches on order. Luminor Panerai Slytech received with a glitch. I wound the watch and the movement appeared seized. When I turned the watch over to inspect the movement through the glassback, the balancer wasn't moving. A quick shake and it appeared to start up. Roughly a hour later it died again and won't restart.

Is this just a 1 in 10 watch is DOA or nearly so kind of thing? Is the protocol to just ship back? If it was the $90 version no biggie, but this one was $270.

powderfreak
Received another shipment from Mary. 7th of 9 watches on order. Luminor Panerai Slytech received with a glitch. I wound the watch and the movement appeared seized. When I turned the watch over to inspect the movement through the glassback, the balancer wasn't moving. A quick shake and it appeared to start up. Roughly a hour later it died again and won't restart.

Is this just a 1 in 10 watch is DOA or nearly so kind of thing? Is the protocol to just ship back? If it was the $90 version no biggie, but this one was $270.

1 in 10? Pretty good ratio, mine has been worse so far...

SeanusMaximus

Im must of been blessed...in all the watches ive had, none have broken in any way!

onionbag

Have you contacted Mary to ascertain her thoughts on this? If not, then that may be the best way.

cvp3
Have you contacted Mary to ascertain her thoughts on this? If not, then that may be the best way.

Yes, not overly concerned yet. I say yet, because communication was flowing pretty well. She still has my money for 2 more reps (Omega and Breitling) and QC pictures were promised on Friday. I sent an email on Friday explaining the dead movement to which she responded "anything blocking the balancer". I responded no and have heard nothing since. Everyone deserves a day off so no drama there, just curious as to the protocol, as in, ship it back, get it fixed here and she pays, etc.? Just curious really.

onionbag

Sound's like you've got it in hand then.

houndoggie

Are they making the slytech chronos again?

They havent been made in awhile.

Member X

Are these the 7750 versions?

Not sure I'd handwind a 7750 myself lol

But then I only ever handwind 6497/8s! :P

cvp3
Are these the 7750 versions?

Not sure I'd handwind a 7750 myself lol

But then I only ever handwind 6497/8s! :archaeology:

PAM 253. Awaiting Mary's response.

greg_r

Yup - ship it back for repair/replacement is the expected protocol. Bad luck, that...

cvp3
Yup - ship it back for repair/replacement is the expected protocol. Bad luck, that...

Thanks, that's what I was looking for and expected.

Goon

Hmmm, I had the same problem a while back with my Panerai 183. It had the same syptoms you described. I took off the caseback and gave it a quick blowout as some other members suggested that something was caught in the hairspring. I don't know what the problem was but it fixed it. It was from Mary as well. She wasn't all that helpful either.

Luthier
A quick shake and it appeared to start up. Roughly a hour later it died again and won't restart.

I doubt a quick shake will charge your watch for more than an hour. I usually wind my A7750s with 50 turns of the crown, despite on all recommendations not t do it. Such a charge will give the life to your watch for about 46 hours, if you don't wear it.

dingle
A quick shake and it appeared to start up. Roughly a hour later it died again and won't restart.

I doubt a quick shake will charge your watch for more than an hour. I usually wind my A7750s with 50 turns of the crown, despite on all recommendations not t do it. Such a charge will give the life to your watch for about 46 hours, if you don't wear it.

Luth---Please mate. It is obvious there is another issue here, and this could...COULD make it worse

;)

cvp3

Still awaiting Mary's response.

cvp3

Mary responded. I explained that the watch was on the way to Mike McNair. She's committed to working something out, so we're in a good place right now.

Member X

Cool, good stuff :)