Sign in to follow this  
Distinct

Metal colour/tinting: How to modify a Hublot 4000 bezel?

Distinct

Is there any way to modify the bezel on this watch from Mary:

IMG_78261.jpg

To have the darkened parts on the bezel in the cutout areas and around the screws?

hublot-oceanographic-4000-watch-0.jpg

MikeMcNair

You don't need a watchsmith, you need an artist. Which, surprisingly enough, I have been airbrushing since I was 10 , have done work for the Soel and Calgary olypmics, and honestly is what got me I to cars, then guns, then watches.

I could mask that and paint it perfect in 10 min.

Then again, so could u!!!

I'll walk ya throughout it fo free. Hit me up

Member X

A pencil? lol

KeNnY

easy job ! Get the special screwdriver, unscrew the bezel, and paint the holes ! Nice find btw I didn't knew they forgot to paint it, this will be first step for "ultimate modding" lol :D

Distinct
You don't need a watchsmith, you need an artist. Which, surprisingly enough, I have been airbrushing since I was 10 , have done work for the Soel and Calgary olypmics, and honestly is what got me I to cars, then guns, then watches.

I could mask that and paint it perfect in 10 min.

Then again, so could u!!!

I'll walk ya throughout it fo free. Hit me up

Thanks Mike! Are you in Canada?! I'm in Toronto and I dig the cars, guns and watches too! Hilarious.

What do I need to buy for paint? I assume the paint won't come off once applied. Thanks.

Cynikal.Mindset

I don't think the gen is painted or dark in the bezel

Hublot-King-Power-Diver-4000m-Titanium-Watch-4.jpg

Cynikal.Mindset

unless said pic is also rep...but any case some satin black enamel paint would work fine

Cynikal.Mindset

here is a press image from hublot

inner bezel cutouts look light in appearance

450166d1307528686-meaningfully-deep-hublot-oceanographic-4000-hublot-03.jpg

Dendo

Thanks CM - was just heading home to paint the bezel - now I ain't.

Will have a nice glass of wine instead......

Distinct
here is a press image from hublot

inner bezel cutouts look light in appearance

I guess there's differences in versions. Even the current official website shows multiple images of the bezel and the are clearly very dark. It's like the whole bezel was the dark colour and then they machine or polish up upper surface to make it bare titanium. It looks much better with the darkened areas because it pulls the dark colours from the rest of the watch to the bezel.

onionbag

Is it maybe an effect of differing surface treatments of the bezel? e.g. Machined finish (ground or milled) on the flat surfaces and Al-Oxide blasting in the recesses.

Distinct

This is what you see on the website, that's clearly not just a matter of lighting, shadow or variations on surface smoothness...

hublot4000.jpg

If I got this replica, I would definitely paint the bezel. Either way, it's much more dramatic.

onionbag

Differing surface finishes will give the appearance of a difference in colour. As a grinder I see this effect every working day. It may in fact be an anodized treatment, the thickness of the deposited layer varies the surface colour, this layer interferes with the light reflecting from the surface layer...so you may be right that it has an appearance of colour.

Edit: It seems the bezel is micro-blasted http://www.uniquewatchguide.com/hublot-oceanographic-4000/

warren

Hi Mary

Any chance of a QC videos of this Beast? Very Interested in purchasing one if any left.

Many thanks

KeNnY
Thanks CM - was just heading home to paint the bezel - now I ain't.

Will have a nice glass of wine instead......

:thumbsup2: !!! Not bad idea BTW

Otek

sometimes the watches in official websites can differ from the ones actually manufactured..that said, Im going to get this once the v2 is out(few months). :thumbsup2:

KeNnY
sometimes the watches in official websites can differ from the ones actually manufactured..that said, Im going to get this once the v2 is out(few months). :thumbsup2:

BTW I have ordered an Porsceh Diver from Mary :thumbsup2: and BTW2 There is already porshe diver replica watch PVD coated per gen, witht he same issues like no square indexes on dial or 120M on caseback, but it is relumed per gen aqua color !

Otek

BTW I have ordered an Porsceh Diver from Mary :thumbsup2: and BTW2 There is already porshe diver replica watch PVD coated per gen, witht he same issues like no square indexes on dial or 120M on caseback, but it is relumed per gen aqua color !

Indeed! the contrast between PVD and the blue dials works! but im afraid they have to fix the design abit..on the other hand..post pics when u get yours! also..if you are able to mod them with your ideas..dont forget to PM me :thumbsup2:

Baldrick

It would appear that the bezel is initially bead blasted leaving the bas-relief ( sunken parts ) and then the haut-relief ( raised bezel) areas polished to a satin finish, leaving the bead blasted / anodised areas(?) as a contrast to the satin polished bezel B)

In the bas-relief recesses the finish is a coarse texture, painting would not provide the same finish, I wouldn't frack about with it..JMO.