Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

http://www.watches24seven.com/

JohnG

Was reading a thread on RWG.cc about a vintage franken Pam and there was a name mentioned (guy did the case for the project) - Adeeos. I don't know shit about vintage stuff, so this name may already be familiar to a lot of you... but that name led me to this site, some cool stuff:

http://www.watches24seven.com/

JohnG

Also, a post about which movements to use for vintage Pam projects:

The Rolex 618 / Cortebert 616 (your cheaper alternative) and the Angelus SF240 are both 16 lignes (I think this is 36.4mm). You'll need a 47mm case - the popular choices are a 3646 or 6152 case, both available for under $200 (just sell or keep the Molnija movement you find in the rep).

Cortebert movements are available in Turkish railroad / Cortebert pocket watches etc, the Rolex in Eaton / Rolex Precision pocket watches, and the Angelus in travel / desk clocks. The Cortebert will be $50-200, the Rolex $500-2,000 and the Angelus about $350+ depending on the exact calibre (stem wound obviously demands a premium, without bell housing is more desirable). Bear in mind though that everyone from the 3 rep forums as well as Paneristi's are in search of these movements, so you'd have more luck finding rocking horse sh*t.

The Molnija movements you'll find in some reps are ok - they're decorated with a Rolex engraving, and it makes a swap for a Cortebert easier (they're both based on the same movement). The Angelus has no recessed hour wheel, a strange canon pinion - so will require custom hands, custom dial, custom spacer ring (this will take the price to $1,000 more than you expect).

Good luck with the project - and if you do pull the plug on a Rolex / Angelus, don't try to save on a case - that'd be like fitting a Rolls engine block to a Ford Sierra

AustinTech

That watches24seven site has a lot of shit that is well outside my price range...for a car.

JohnG
That watches24seven site has a lot of shit that is well outside my price range...for a car.

yup, but some neat stuff to look at. And some BITCHIN straps! Jizz in my pants straps!

Member X

I have to say, I still don't understand why PAMs are so expensive...

Perhaps it's because it's not really a known 'label' in the big wide world of people who don't care about watches, like Rolex is, but they do seem a lot of money!!

greg_r

They're really no more expensive than any of the other major brands - cheaper than some (unless you're looking at the limited editions). TBH, I fail to see where the money goes on a lot of high-end watches. It's justifiable when you're looking at brands like Lange, VC and a handful of others where the movements are pretty much works of art in themselves, but Rolex - and especially brands like Breitling (and yes, Panerai), who buy in most of their movements - always seem overpriced to me. That's one of the reasons I got into reps and homages in the first place.

I defy anybody to argue that a gen Fiddy is really worth 40 (or more) times what I paid for my PWC version...

Member X

I think I agree - knowing how much movements/cases/dials/hands are, and the fact that you can make even a Daytona rep for about a third of what it would cost to buy (I think?), they must be making a fortune on the stuff they sell over the counter.

I know one jewellers in town that does 50% discount for its employees - I don't know if it applies to watches but if it does, they clearly have a LOT of profit margin in there!!

trailboss99
They're really no more expensive than any of the other major brands - cheaper than some (unless you're looking at the limited editions). TBH, I fail to see where the money goes on a lot of high-end watches.

I defy anybody to argue that a gen Fiddy is really worth 40 (or more) times what I paid for my PWC version...

I think you will find that the OP was refering to the price of rep Pams mate. They are waaaay overpriced a lot of the time once some "expert" has layd hands on them. After all, we now have a rep selling for more than the gen (rex's 111 @ geeks)!

Col.

greg_r
I think you will find that the OP was refering to the price of rep Pams mate. They are waaaay overpriced a lot of the time once some "expert" has layd hands on them. After all, we now have a rep selling for more than the gen (rex's 111 @ geeks)!

Col.

Oh yeah - my bad.

But yeah, people pay silly prices for used / modded / pissed on by Rex rep PAMs on occasion (not only PAMs tbh, but they seem to be the ones that turn up most often).

Bought from a decent dealer, though, they're great value :beer2:

alw

Having gotten the watch fever once again, I visited various dealers today with the intention of buying an Omega Railmaster (what I really need is a Patek, so these are only substitutes). Anyway, I looked at the backside of the Omega and the movement looked exactly the same as the one in the rep (ETA) I once had. And yet I´d have to pay 1800€ for the real one. Huh?

greg_r

Yeah - and that's why I started collecting reps even back in the day when I could afford the occasional gen. As I've said elsewhere, I can sorta see where the money goes with Patek, Lange and some of the others. But why pay several grand for a gen when the rep uses basically the same movement for a tenth of the price or less..?