Sign in to follow this  
alw

Girard-Perregaux

alw

I´ve been offered this at 1600€. I guess it´s genuine although these days you never know :rofl: . The only minus comes from 36mm diameter which just might be too small for me (the perfect size for me is 39mm). Should I or should I not, gentlemen?

DSC02789.jpg

DSC02791.jpg

PICT5954.jpg

greg_r

Very pretty watch and in lovely condition. Is that a 1966? Guess not, those are 38mm, I think...

Anyhow, personally, my only hesitation would be in buying anything quite that small these days - but that's just me. If you like it, go for it!

houndoggie

It is a nice watch, but if you are already hesitant on the size, then most likely you won't wear it.

alw

This one dates from 2002. Still, it would be nice to own a manufacture watch...

omni

I think that would make a great "dress watch". I have a 7.5 inch wrist that is wide oval shaped so I can handle big watches, most of mine are 48mm - 53mm cased and are sportier designed. However, I also have 3 "dressier" type watches that range from 39mm - 40mm. I posted several times but this is the gen Girard-Perregaux circa 1950's I wear sometimes when going out, with a shot of it on my wrist.

GP-RG-Argentina-circa-1950s.jpg

greg_r

That's a beautiful watch, Omni. I'll confess I've been tempted by a few vintage Glashutte watches of similar design, but haven't yet jumped...

omni

I think ALW's concern is that 36mm is a bit too small. It probably is if you have a wrist my size, I used to have a 36mm Movado my wife gave me 20 years ago and it looked so dinky on my 7.5 inch wrist today that she now wears it. However if you're wrist is 7 inches or under, and since this is a dress style, it should look about the same proportions as my 39mm GP looks on my 7.5 wrist. When its dress, you want understated elegance, and you don't get that with big watches.

alphakazi

I'd say pass alw, as nice as the watch looks, it's too small for you and not that cheap to just buy for the hell of it - buy it only if you can't live without it - my 2c

AustinTech

I agree with alpha - it is a beautiful watch, but 36mm is too small for a watch that is going to run you that much money. If you spend those kinda bucks, you need to get exactly what you want.

alw

Thanks for your opinions. My wrists are only slightly thicker than those of 12-year-old girls, so the 36mm size is really not an issue. I just kinda wish it was larger. Surely that GP of yours cannot be wider than 35mm, Omni?

Edit: OK, it´s 39mm. Where do you find vintage watches that large?

Edited by alw

omni

alw:

I just went and remeasured, case is 39 including crown, crown is 1mm. I looked long and hard for this watch on ebay, it had to be bigger than 36mm and rose gold, and most of all affordable. It was hard to find a dress watch that size from the 50's. Also picked it up from a Berlin Germany seller for $500 and it had just been serviced. I guess the other guys are right in a way, the GP you are looking at is quite a bit of money for something that you are already unsure of in the size. Anytime you are uncertain at the beginning when contemplating a gen., buy a similar rep first to try it on for a while. There are lots of similar gen. dress watches like this out there to choose from later.

Another thing to consider,the thinner the case, the smaller it will look as a 40mm case with a say 10mm thickness will look much, much larger on the wrist. The GP is the smallest watch in my collection but I don't feel it looks too small on my wrist even though it is only 6mm thick, including the crystal.

johnny woozer
alw:

I just went and remeasured, case is 39 including crown, crown is 1mm. I looked long and hard for this watch on ebay, it had to be bigger than 36mm and rose gold, and most of all affordable. It was hard to find a dress watch that size from the 50's. Also picked it up from a Berlin Germany seller for $500 and it had just been serviced. I guess the other guys are right in a way, the GP you are looking at is quite a bit of money for something that you are already unsure of in the size. Anytime you are uncertain at the beginning when contemplating a gen., buy a similar rep first to try it on for a while. There are lots of similar gen. dress watches like this out there to choose from later.

Another thing to consider,the thinner the case, the smaller it will look as a 40mm case with a say 10mm thickness will look much, much larger on the wrist. The GP is the smallest watch in my collection but I don't feel it looks too small on my wrist even though it is only 6mm thick, including the crystal.

Beautiful how much mechanic is put is so few mm. Amazes me always.