Sign in to follow this  
alw

Policy when selling your reps

alw

I´ve sold over the years a few reps, say between 5-10 on various forums. Two of these have arrived dead at their destinations, and I´ve always accepted to have them returned and refunded the sum. Now, do you think reps are especially prone to malfunctioning during transit, as the percentage of dead on arrivals in my experience has been quite high? Is it bad manners to state in the selling post that returns are not accepted? Thoughts?

KeNnY

I always make pictures / videos of packaging all watches before sending, showing that they are in 100% condition and working. But I would like to know also, who is on the winning side, if the watch is DOA and whose fault it should be.

Luthier

Charge shipper, ofcourse.

:lol:

Ollifl

If I was the buyer, I guess I would want my money back since I bought a watch in working condition, now, the time period for inspection after receiving the goods is questionable, also, shipping charges and who pays for them is debatable. Too many things to consider, I'll just take it back and send another one....

onionbag

Do to others as you would have them do to you. :lol:

alw

In this latest case, we are trying to get it fixed at the destination and I´ll cover the costs if they´re reasonable. But yes, there are too many moving parts involved and I´m not sure it´s worth selling my reps in future again. :lol:

vonGluberschmidt

I sold 4 watches earlier this summer.... what a total shitshow.

HATE IT.

1 watch arrived ....er.... well, the BOX arrived (shipped overnight Fedex from Canada to USA) but with no watch.

purchaser freaks out (naturally) thinks I conned him..... long story short, customs opened it and didn't seal it up properly.

we found the watch, it arrived the next day and dood was happy. *FEWF*

watch 2 arrived DOA. I wore it for 3 days with ZERO issues before shipping it. Chrono worked and it kept perfect time over the 3 days.

thankfully with a little TLC, it started for him and that was done and dealt with.

watch 3 chrono didn't work, but it did when it left. WTF! Same deal... overnight shipping with Fedex so it went through few hands, and got there fast - but still problems. ugh. thankfully that one ended up starting up again as well with some quick research.

4th watch was fine.

that will be the last time I sell a used watch, other than local.

just a shitshow.

too stressful. I'm an honest guy, but when it's out of your hands (literally) then I'm supposed to be responsible for it? ugh. Watch left perfect, arrives DOA. I get the watch back (broken) and refund money - now I'm down a watch, shipping costs and so on.....

horror story, so take it fwiw.

d.

wat44

I must admit one of the things holding me back from selling is the fear of bad transactions!

Luthier

That's why I never sell and never buy, except from dealers.

Ops... Just bought 2 from houndoggie...

Just wasn't able to resist.

houndoggie

I say I've sold at least 70 watches to members over several fora and years. Only issues I've had is shipping to canada....slooooow delivery and one even lost parcel. I refunded the lost item ($70). Overall, the members of WUS are the biggest pain. I can't really remember too many doa issues and the like.

I did rub my balls all over the watches I sent luthier though!

wat44

Yeah, but he paid extra for that?

gB.
I did rub my balls all over the watches I sent luthier though!

:(

Cynikal.Mindset

I guarantee everything I sell will be "OK at arrival"...I ship stuff wrapped in a yard of bubble wrap and taped to the inside of a box. If for some reason a watch arrives and does not work I will accept the return and refund upon inspection or partial refund to offset repairs etc.

PS. CanadaPost is horrible...8 Days for a watch I bought to travel 85km and in the same time a watch came all the way from China in the same time.

You gotta treat every scenario as it comes along and maybe only buy/sell from/to reputable members of the forum. Heck I'm my own hypocrite on that one...I sold to a guy from switzerland in the US on business and shipped it to his hotel room...everything worked out well in the end but for a second it sounded super scammy.

JohnG

The seller should accept a return for DOA, period.

The risk has to be assigned to SOMEONE, and it makes the most sense to assign it to the ONLY person who has control over how the watch is packaged and prepared for transport. On the other hand, assigning risk to the buyer is a good way to encourage sloppy packaging and hence, more DOA watches.

Not to mention the fact that if I purchase a watch, unless otherwise specified, I purchase a FUNCTIONING watch, not a dead watch, and I should expect to receive a functioning watch in the mail.

houndoggie

Yeah, seller should be able to provide the watch in the exact same way he portrays it in his sales thread.

Full refund on return of watch or payment of repairs or partial refund is usually how it should be resolved.

On the other, if you are a buyer and file a paypal dispute, you deserve to ass fucked by a polar bear.

myaz

Sharing alw's concern and applauding KeNnY's advice. Should serve as a heads up.

You just never know if an uninformed sort could receive a rep, abuse it and break it and then claim it came in DOA.

However in the case at hand, I believe there was an issue with an overseas buyer whose watch was losing time when worn but OK when sitting on a flat surface. Considering the seller's good reputation, it had to have been sent in good shape but perhaps a part came loose in the long transit resulting in positional friction. Also some reps are only worn for a few hours before being resold, perhaps not enough time to find out if they are totally OK.

I bought such a rep that had never been worn and now McNair is fixing it and the seller was so great I didn't think it was worth stirring a problem. Nevertheless, we are used to returning "defective" merchandise to the store that sold it to us.

Always steer clear of polar bears.

torobravo

Sometimes protecting the watch properly gives a lot. DOA is caused by postal workers mostly. They play football with parcels.

prestigewatchco

A lot of the reason for DOA is the postal service that said many people don't pack them securely enough either.

I get watches back unprotected or wrapped in news paper etc so I assume these same people ship the watches they sell in the same way.

If a watch is correctly packed then it's only a very small amount that get damaged in my experience.

jdoe
If a watch is correctly packed then it's only a very small amount that get damaged in my experience.

From the posts it seems that detailed instructions are in order

Wiz
Sometimes protecting the watch properly gives a lot. DOA is caused by postal workers mostly. They play football with parcels.

+1

I've had a few issues, but none since I doubled the bubble wrapping.

And people need to stop with tupperwares used as packing. Hard packing doesn't provide any shock resistance.

prestigewatchco

The secret of packing is to make sure the item you are sending is not going to move about. Watch wrapped in bubble pack then put in a box thats too big is asking for trouble it needs to be in there tight so cannot move around

KeNnY
DOA is caused by postal workers mostly. They play football with parcels.

+1 , yeah seen it for my own eyes... if someone interested what is happening with your watches, check this, and think twice how you will protect it

narikaa
in a box thats too big is asking for trouble it needs to be in there tight

As with many things

;)

Baldrick

They're all tight to me B)

Wiz
They're all tight to me B)

Sweet dreams... B)