Sign in to follow this  
Dingo1974

Cartier Santos 100 XL Non Chrono

Dingo1974

Having read lots of good things about the above model it seems the general consensus of opinion is that it's one of the best reps out there at the moment.

Maybe the only weak point is the quality of the strap? With that in mind does anyone know a supplier who can do a nice replacement gen croc strap in black? Am I right in thinking the Santos non chrono would require a 23mm strap? I've already contacted Kain Heritage who supplied the strap for my Pam but they don't have any offerings for a Santos.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

mianos

I looked at the original about a month ago, just before I ordered mine from robert. Aside from the labeling and based oh my memory I'd say the strap its very close. What's not close its the precision of the clasp. I have tuned mine with a file and wet and dry paper and now it's pretty damn close but not compared to how close the watch and strap are.

greg_r

The strap is excellent quality - very close to gen. You won't need to change it. As Mianos says, the only real 'tell' on the watch is the clasp and with a bit of work and a fair amount of use even that gets to be more than acceptable.

Dingo1974

Thanks for the replies. I did note Robert said the quality of the strap was better than average so hopefully it won't need changing.

Surely someone must make a replacement if I fancy a different style though or is it not a popular enough model to invest the development time?

Silverspeed

HKTan a strapmaker has replacement Santos straps, great quality but not cheap, around $200....and if he doesn't have them in stock be prepared to wait for a long time.

Also on ebay Santos replacement starps can be found, but I doubt they will be better then the rep strap on the current ultimate Santos

mianos

There are several reasons why I think you don't see too many after-rmarket straps. One is it is 'built up' to exactly match the lugs and also both sides fold into the deployant, it's more like two long sides of a normal strap without the holes with the end of the strap being less stiff than near the lugs, which is probably not a huge deal but why bother when there are a relatively small number of these watches? You do see after market straps on ebay for $50 but I'd assume they would be worse than the one that comes on the super rep. If you do get one please post a review, good or bad. Leather straps don't last forever.

Dingo1974
HKTan a strapmaker has replacement Santos straps, great quality but not cheap, around $200....

:) Ouch, that is expensive.