Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

Vintage Pam Homages

JohnG

I was looking at some of the nice Pam Vintage reps - with Cortebet and Rolex movements, really like them, but they are very expensive to build.

Following my cheap nature and rejection of branded reps, thought, why not make Vintage Homages? A homage of a vintage Pam, unbranded, with incorrect (but vintage) movements?

I read a little bit, seems like there were a LOT of companies that manufactured 17 jewel 16 ligne movements - mostly for pocket watches. I read that the American manufacturers are a cheap alternative source for these movements (Cortebets run up to $200, Rolex around $500).

Anyway, going to bid these two 16 ligne Elgins for a couple of projects. Was thinking one Radiomir vintage homage and one with Luminor case (maybe another mini Fiddy).

Will have to have custom movement rings, but will worry about that later. There is a guy at RG who is about to do a run. If I get these, maybe one of the sizes he is making will work. If not, I will worry about it later.

Here are the two I will bid today, any thoughts?:

tinytim3.jpg

elgin1.jpg

greg_r

Fucking fantastic idea, John. Hell, I'd love to own something like that.

JohnG
Fucking fantastic idea, John. Hell, I'd love to own something like that.

I think so too!

Here are some pics from a guy at RWG.cc who just finished some vintage Pams - so I was thinkin a look kind of like this (aged), vintage movement, but with sterile or made-up branded custom dials, one could be based on that new Cali sandwich dial from Getat - also like the old Radiomir 2533 dial as a jumping off point - think you can get them from DSN...

group0.jpg

group1.jpg

Radiomir 2533 dial

DSC_6290.jpg

Member X

I feel bad about butchering perfectly good things for their parts, be they watches, cars, etc, but it's a cool idea :)

I'm still not sure I'd want a 'vintaged' watch as I'm not sure where I'd draw the line at 'battered and crap' versus 'cool and aged' LoL

greg_r

yep yep - there's a budget rep around featuring the 2533 dial. Have been tempted to pick one up - would be a natural for something with vintage movement.

Likewise I think something built around a standard Kamfschwimmer-style dial (which is unbranded anyhow) could be very desirable.

JohnG

I am going to bid this one -

SNC00361.jpg

from Burgeon (who it looks is now a member - saw his name reading this thread! Welcome!)

Member X

Welcome Burgeon!

Any chance of some giveaways? B) LOL :)

alphakazi

Welcome to the forums burgeon

JohnG

Burgeon, can you sell just the dial from that 47mm?

Also, here is thread from the custom movement rings at RG:

http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=71639

custommvtring.jpg

custommvtring1.jpg

JohnG

So I didn't read the description on the first of those movements too carefully - doesn't work they say. I am looking at the pic and it appears the mainspring is fucked up. Perhaps I will buy it and see if it can be fixed, because it is a SWEET looking movement....

JohnG

Well, I found a zillion cool pocket watches in working condition, I know it hurts to take one apart, but I will sell the cases on the Bay (maybe stick an Asian 6497 in them) :rolleyes:

Also emailed Jackson, see if he can get that Radiomir dial.

trailboss99

There are allways bare MVTs available on the bay.

Burgeon joined days ago guys. Pay attention!

I didn't realise he is a dealer. Tell us how the deal goes John. he may be another one to add to our dealer list and dealer sales forum (when it's ready).

Col.

greg_r
There are allways bare MVTs available on the bay.

Burgeon joined days ago guys. Pay attention!

I didn't realise he is a dealer. Tell us how the deal goes John. he may be another one to add to our dealer list and dealer sales forum (when it's ready).

Col.

I've bought from him myself a couple of times (not watches, just odds and ends). He seems reliable.

JohnG

Guys this is the one that isn't running, is it me or does the mainspring look jacked up? I emailed the seller, they were unhelpful (we are selling as is) - all I asked was could they tell me if it seemed like the mainspring was the problem? Anyway, here is the pic again, if that is the problem, there are NOS springs galore for this movement.... I just love the movement, not that there aren't others, but.... hmmm, maybe I should just calm down and buy a functioning movement?

tinytim3.jpg

trailboss99

No, but the hair spring does!

Col.

JohnG
No, but the hair spring does!

Col.

duh, that's what I meant. Early onset senility.

Whatchu think, should I take a chance, see if my watch man here can fix it for not a lot of money? It is a SEXY movement, might sell low....?

alphakazi

we don't need no stinking balance spring

JohnG

But the watch won't run without it right? Duh stupid question? I mean, if it is visibly jacked up, good chance this is the problem?

greg_r

Yup - very good chance. If it was me I'd take a punt at it provided it isn't too expensive - gorgeous movement and worth preserving.

JohnG

Jackon can't get the Radiomir dial, just emailed Getat.

AllergyDoc

I like the big, 47mm Radiomir- and 127-style cases, a lot. I don't care if it says "Panerai" or not. I don't necessarily want them vintagized, but I wouldn't turn it down, either.

The lume, though. I'm stuck on the lume.

alphakazi

But the watch won't run without it right? Duh stupid question? I mean, if it is visibly jacked up, good chance this is the problem?

I'd say it was 100% of at least one problem - if the watch doesn't run, who knows what else

cool movement though - got me looking around - you're a damn instigator :D

JohnG

Just put in two snipe orders for those two watches.... 61 for the functional (not as pretty movement) and 51 for the non-functional. Will let you all know in the morning the results.... Although I may see the first one go down tonight, just depends on how long I last, fading pretty fast now....

Massimo

Don't want to be negative, John (but I'm going to be) - chances are it won't run at all, that balance spring looks pretty knackered to me. I'd be cautious because if a replacement spring for that movement isn't an "off the shelf" item it could be difficult even to get a watchmaker to fix it.

I could be wrong though...

VDB

nice tread

vintage homage is cool...

here my cali with rolex motor

IP6N4015.jpg

IP6N4001.jpg

P1000647.jpg

IP6N4013.jpg