Sign in to follow this  
teosep

Pls answer this question.....

teosep

How to tell the 3rd generation from the 4th generation from a 42mm Planet Ocean ?

How i know the good panerai dials from the bad?

thank you in advance teosep

sconehead

By-Tor did a write up about the differences in each version of the UPO, hit the search button. Can't help with the Pam stuff though....

greg_r
How to tell the 3rd generation from the 4th generation from a 42mm Planet Ocean ?

I'm not an omega fan, so can't help you there.

With Panerai, the problem is that there are so many different dial variants, it's very difficult to give a specific answer to such a general question. The giveaways tend to be things like the shape of the '3', which is very distinctive if you take a look at a good photo of a gen, the positioning of the "L Swiss L' markings at 6 (which are often too close to the edge of the dial), the crispness of the digits (on both 'sausage' and 'sandwich' dials) and the finish of the dial surface itself (which can have a 'mottled' appearance on some of the cheaper reps).

Ultimately, though, the simplest solution is to take a close look of a photo of the rep dial you're interested in and do a detailed comparison with a good gen photo. With a little experience, the differences start to jump out at you :lol:

Luthier

I'm not an omega fan, so can't help you there.

With Panerai, the problem is that there are so many different dial variants, it's very difficult to give a specific answer to such a general question. The giveaways tend to be things like the shape of the '3', which is very distinctive if you take a look at a good photo of a gen, the positioning of the "L Swiss L' markings at 6 (which are often too close to the edge of the dial), the crispness of the digits (on both 'sausage' and 'sandwich' dials) and the finish of the dial surface itself (which can have a 'mottled' appearance on some of the cheaper reps).

Ultimately, though, the simplest solution is to take a close look of a photo of the rep dial you're interested in and do a detailed comparison with a good gen photo. With a little experience, the differences start to jump out at you :lol:

You, guys, are soooo anal...

:thumbdown:

greg_r
You, guys, are soooo anal...

:rolleyes:

Well, some folks are.

Personally, as you might guess from the watches I collect, so long as the watch FEELS right and doesn't immediately scream 'rep' when I look at it, I'm happy... I know what the differences are as that's interesting, but I don't let that get in the way of enjoying my reps :)

cakemaster

A side by side comparison is always the best way :)

awopresents.jpg

fakemaster

The difference is primarily the logo. All the rest is not noticeable.

onzenuub

Oh yeah, those where the days. :monkeyspank: