Sign in to follow this  
tommylad

Fixing rubber strap to Planet Ocean

tommylad

Hi guys,

I tried to switch my bracelet for a rubber strap on my 42mm Planet Ocean recently. Problem is, I can't get the spring bar to stay in even though its the right size., I'm having real problems forcing it in properly.

Is this type of watch particularly difficult to switch straps? Or are rubber ones particularly difficult?Or is it something I'm missing?

I have the right tools for the job.

onionbag

I found that the distance from the radius on the strap that fits snug against the case is too great i.e. that the springbar cannot seat in its drilled hole.

What I did was this. I fitted a 40mm flap wheel in my drill and used that to recreate the radius on the end of the strap, in effect I altered the distance between the thru' hole for the springbar and the contact point of the strap against the case.

Then I two-part epoxied it.

Hope this helps.

tommylad
I found that the distance from the radius on the strap that fits snug against the case is too great i.e. that the springbar cannot seat in its drilled hole.

What I did was this. I fitted a 40mm flap wheel in my drill and used that to recreate the radius on the end of the strap, in effect I altered the distance between the thru' hole for the springbar and the contact point of the strap against the case.

Then I two-part epoxied it.

Hope this helps.

Sorry,

I didn't really understand that. I have fitted the end with the buckle on properly and that is fine. It is the other part that's the problem. I'm regretting taking the bracelet off because the rubber strap is difficult to get off too.

There must be an easier way.

narikaa

FFS

All thats needed is to fit the rubber strap's springbars with the strap at right angles to the watch

Once in you pinchgrip and support the springbar position as you rotate the strap home into its correct position

That will have a nice degree of tension within the rubber forcing a perfect fit at the case - which you will lose the instant you decide to cut/reshape it after failing with a wrong 'straight in' approach to fitting the strap

onionbag

:) Yes it's not very clear is it? Is the springbar in the other half of the strap not seating properly?

If so it's because the hole in the strap is misaligned with the holes in the case.

You can remove some material from the end of the strap which sits against the case, or you can bend the springbar so that the ends 'jut' forward, enabling them to locate.

If you remove material from the end of the strap you must be careful not to remove to much.

tommylad

Thanks for the help guys. I will try Narikaa's option later. For now I have just put the bracelet back on. I was getting so frustrated.

Cheers.

MikeMcNair
FFS

All thats needed is to fit the rubber strap's springbars with the strap at right angles to the watch

x eleventeen guys, its EASY!!!!!!

tommylad

The right angles trick worked a charm. It really was very easy. Thanks Narikaa and Mike.

narikaa

Come Robin our work here is done