Sign in to follow this  
Drhulee

Using a local engraver ...

Drhulee

I was thinking about looking for and using a local engraver to put the missing serial numbers on a titanium caseback and a 250 caseback. I'd probably try to get the H series style of engraving. Has anyone had this done before? How did it turn out, and do you have pics?

Thx

Drhulee

Someon suggested laser etching, any thoughts?

Drhulee

Anyone have pics of laser etched backs or other metal samples?

greg_r

*echo* :beerjump:

:morebeer:

Sorry, Drhulee - I guess either everbody missed this thread, or nobody has anything useful to add. I know JohnG has been looking into getting a dial engraved, but he may have missed the thread buried in here. If you have no objection, I'm going to move this into General Discussion on the basis that it has a better chance of getting seen in there :thumbsup:

prestigewatchco

This is great opportunity for someone we bought the tool to engrave most anything and it's computer controlled only cost about $1500 so a wonderful opportunity if you have the time loads of members want it done

Drhulee
This is great opportunity for someone we bought the tool to engrave most anything and it's computer controlled only cost about $1500 so a wonderful opportunity if you have the time loads of members want it done

Robert, have you seen a laser engraved/etched case back? The only laser etching/engraving that I've seen on metal has had a "darker" look to it, not like the box surrounding later series PAM serial numbers.

Also, $1500? That's all. Is there a particular model brand you are talking about? I may have to get one to play around with.

offshore

It may be worth having a chat with A Miles & Co, here in Brisbane Australia.

They are one of our bigger parts wholesalers and the Citizen agents, so they have watchmakers on premises.

As it happens they have another side to their business...sales of CNC engravers and etching machines!

So you would hope to think the left arm could talk to the right arm about the best solution.

It's pretty much a family run show, so some cooperation may exist!!!(Hopefully)

O/S

PS. I wouldn't use the word "rep" there.....ultra conservative....they would hang you!

Drhulee
It may be worth having a chat with A Miles & Co, here in Brisbane Australia.

They are one of our bigger parts wholesalers and the Citizen agents, so they have watchmakers on premises.

As it happens they have another side to their business...sales of CNC engravers and etching machines!

So you would hope to think the left arm could talk to the right arm about the best solution.

It's pretty much a family run show, so some cooperation may exist!!!(Hopefully)

O/S

I really just wanted to see if it was worthwhile taking a couple of casebacks to a local engraver, in order to add a serial number (a couple PAMs came without one).

PWC, I looked for some laser engraving machines, but they where all around 8k, not worth it to just fiddle around with :thumbsup: Was there a particular model that you saw at that price?

Drhulee

Ok, so I'm guilty of procrastination, and haven't gotten around to finding a local engraver.

Since it will probably be another month or two before I do get around to finding one, I'll try one more time. Has anyone used a laser engraver to put a serial number onto a case or case back? I'm now thinking it should look alright for those models that have a serial number on one of the lug corners, like the PAM 082. Anybody have any pics, or anything to add?

trailboss99

Sorry mate, only just saw this. Laser won't look right. Laser engraving has little depth to it, have a look at a cheap Rolex braclet for example.

Why don't yopu send it to CLS, he just bought a pantograph engraver.

Robert: If I had the spare 1500 ATM i'd be finding out where you bought that!

Col.