Sign in to follow this  
Member X

Burgeon Watches Sterile Dial Big Pilot

Member X

Well, after successfully winning an ebay auction for this at a bargain price compared to what previous ones had gone for I was pretty happy :)

dscf1398p.jpg

dscf1399c.jpg

dscf1411.jpg

Delivery was pretty quick and it was well packaged. I couldn't get the tracking number to work, though, but that's not an uncommon thing lol

Anyway, I noticed straight away that the rotor moving was a bit 'grindy'... When the rotor spins one way it moves freely and the small wheel it appears to be attached too (hiding behind a plate in the following pic) moves too. However, when you spin it (gently!) the other way if feels very like it's grinding/clicking. The gold coloured cog in the top left of the pic seems to sometimes move a bit but only once in a while, and then hardly at all, like it's catching slightly but not properly :sh_h:

dscf1403.jpg

(EDIT: Ok, I have NFI where this random picture of some woman has come from, I certainly never put it in there so I think photofucket has screwed up!! :lol: LOL)

I've tried gently hand-winding a couple of turns, gently swirling the rotor each way, even a firm tap on each side - but it appears to be DOA :popcorn:

One sign I noticed that I'm pretty sure is bad is that the rotor turns when I handwind it, and I'm sure I remember reading on RWG.cc that that is not a good thing... ??

I also noticed that the hands seem to be out of kilter:

Good:

dscf1405.jpg

Bad - touching the paint and 'bumping' over it as the hand sweeps past!:

dscf1406y.jpg

Any advice gratefully received :(

I didn't want to have to use it but I may have to invoke the (unexpected!) warranty...

dscf1417.jpg

dscf1418.jpg

I'm a bit gutted :( - the strap isn't the greatest (as expected) but it's a great size, not too big, and the lume is better than my Accurist thing I've had for years! I'm not sure it actually is superlume but then I've not actually had a watch with it before, therefore can't compare.

I hope I can get another one, I like it a lot!!

Member X

Oh, and apologies for the watermarks - I wouldn't have done it if I could actually get onto photofucket at work but, thanks to ridiculous new restrictions :lol: I can't... Therefore imageshack to the rescue! But as you can't then delete them I thought it'd be better in case some random stole them lol

greg_r

Ouch - bad luck. Hopefully they'll sort it out for you without too much hassle..

oscarmadfish

watch looks good

Member X

Definitely send it back then?

Bit gutted really :lol:

greg_r

Yup. It sounds like a problem with the keyless works. I'd drop them an email & get 'em to replace it. I know it's a pain, but it's happened to all of us at some point .

Member X

Cheers for the advice, all :lol:

Will drop him an ebay message now and hopefully all will be good...

Faffing about with shipping is a PITA though :D

My typical luck! lol

The other two better arrive and be fine!!

AustinTech

Tough luck, X. Good news is that it looks good. Once you get the watch fix/replaced then you will be on your way.

Great review and pics. We love pics! Keep it up!

trailboss99

The man is a member here so he should see this sooner or later anyway. Bad luck mate.

Nice watch tho!

Col.

Member X

I was looking for a sterile one for ages and this was an absolute bargain - one of the few auctions I watch that didn't get bid up stupidly high hours beforehand!

I hope I can sort a new one :lol:

alphakazi

too bad X, definitely send it back but 1st, as advised, email the guy. My last watch from bergeon was all good but these things always happen sooner or later - he takes pics and checks the watch before shipping if he has it in stock and you request it

Member X

Well, I'm pleased to say he's come back to me :P

He's said that the rotor is one directional spinning (unidirectional), not two way, like miyota movements - so is it bad that mine does both?? Or is it that it only winds the watch one way but spins freely the other? - and that you only have to wind the movement the first few times to season it, after which it should work on wrist movement.

He said he tested it for 24 hours before shipping but wasn't aware of the minute hands issue, so he's offered to re-set the hour and minute hands if I ship it back to him, and he'll reship it back to me at his cost.

Sounds like a good deal to me?

Now I just have to get the strap off and send the head only... Having not done it before, let's hope I don't mess it up lol

Also hope it's not £loads to post!!

Edited by Member X

alphakazi

ya gota start somewhere right :P get yourself a spring bar tool SpareTips.jpg

or we have an entry level watch maker kit for about $95 shipped which comes with 28 essential tools - check giveaway #1 for pics and PM me if interested

Member X

Woooo! Panic over, it's now running! :D

My mate at work was having a look and shaking the rotor around a bit and it seems to have jumpstarted it so fingers crossed it will stay working now! :P

I think perhaps I was just being a bit girly about winding it, but I'm just aware of the pictures that Ziggy has posted showing damage to the teeth on the wheels on a handwound automatic watch, so am scared I'll feck it up :blush: lol

I'm still going to have to send it back to get the hands reset though so I will wear it tonight and tomorrow so I can enjoy it a bit before it goes away :rolleyes:

Edited by Member X

Member X

Well, Mr Helpful local watchsmith today basically said that "it'll be fine" and "I could have a go at correcting it but they all have a bit of play in them so it may be out elsewhere then" :rolleyes:

So I think I'll have to post it back!

Hopefully won't be too expensive to send as it's only small and light.

If anyone else is interested, he's listed the next one :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/44mm-BIG-PILOT-STERI...emZ200370813558

alphakazi
Well, Mr Helpful local watchsmith today basically said that "it'll be fine" and "I could have a go at correcting it but they all have a bit of play in them so it may be out elsewhere then" :rolleyes:

So I think I'll have to post it back!

Hopefully won't be too expensive to send as it's only small and light.

If anyone else is interested, he's listed the next one :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/44mm-BIG-PILOT-STERI...emZ200370813558

last watch I sent back overseas was going to cost me over $50 with tracking! insanity... I sent it without tracking for about $12 or something... i pray it gets there

Member X

I think that will be my method LoL