Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

I AM A RACE CAR DRIVER BABY!

pollux1
The genuine has an ETA quartz movement 251.262 or G10.211...

good call scone! it was bugging me

This Tissot V8 uses the G10.211 - movement costs about $41US but the datewheel doesn't jive

36141672.jpgG10211.JPG

thumb_o_154.jpg

the 251.262 is twice as much (about $87US) used in the Porche Flat 6 - the date wheel size matches the Tag

p6320-chronograph.jpgtag-formula1-ss.gif

Image323.jpgETA%20251.262.jpg

looks spot on to me - thanks again scone -

the G10.211 uses 4 jewels while the 251.262 uses 27 jewels - makes sense why it's twice as much

so considering what the factory would buy these for in quantity... I see them using the gen movements but NOT in a $75 watch - she'll have to charge you more John for the good version me thinks

Wow Alpha, thanks for the info, I'm astounded that a quartz mvt would cost so much, if I may be so bold can you tell me why they cost so much? I'm aware of the jewels but even with my limited knowledge I don't think it's just that? Thank you :)

Dr.Manhatten

awesome Tag!

alphakazi
Wow Alpha, thanks for the info, I'm astounded that a quartz mvt would cost so much, if I may be so bold can you tell me why they cost so much? I'm aware of the jewels but even with my limited knowledge I don't think it's just that? Thank you :)

good question...

hey, my knowledge is also very limited but I'd be more than happy to share the little I know :monkeypuzzle:

It all has to do with the quality/type of materials used and assembly of the movement. From the integrated circuit complexity to the quality of the synthetic quartz, the precision and build quality of the gears and motor, number of jewel pivots, etc. etc. some can only calculate seconds while more advanced chronographs can measure tenths of a second and even store various data in memory banks. Digital watches can take accuracy much further as they have no gears at all

In many aspects, quartz movements are superior to full mechanical. They are more accurate, cheaper to buy/make, do fancy stuff like adapt to temperature, can receive time corrections from an atomic clock via satellite - the list is endless.

Every watch needs some type of oscillator - a constant and even cycling of something to track time. A quartz movement uses a quartz crystal as an oscillator - basically the quartz vibrates when electricity passes through it, the pulses are sent back to the computer where they are divided down from 32,768 pulses per second to a single pulse per second and then sent to a stepping motor that "ticks" each second - this is much more accurate than a mechanical balance wheel that will oscillate at only 5-12 times per second.

But, mechanical watches are MUCH more impressive because they get the job done without any fancy shmancy electronic circuits - nothing but raw metal gears, jewels and springs. This makes them much more of a collectible while quartz is more or less like collecting calculators - as computer technology advances, old quartz movements become obsolete and new, more advanced movements take over. Sure, you can collect quartz but it just doesn't hold the same value as the craftsmanship of a full mechanical machine. Quartz have only been around for decades while the mechanical variety have been around since the 15th century and it's the movement of choice for the most expensive watches in the world. They are a mechanical marvel that proclaim "we don't need no stinking batteries" :monkeyspank:

Having said that, analogue quartz movements still use mechanical gears. The more expensive ones will have higher quality construction including pivot jewels but the majority of quartz don't and the cheap $0.50 movements are what flood the market. About 95% of all watches use these cheap mass produced movements and so they have a bad rep. When people hear quartz, they think cheap but this is a misconception. Check out Seiko's spring drive - a masterpiece bringing both worlds together ;)

pollux1

Good stuff, much appreciated Alpha :)

trailboss99
the 251.262 is twice as much (about $87US)

WTF? My wholesaler wants $222 AUD for the 251.262! 57 for the G10 which seems about right but huge difference in the 251.262 price.

Col.

JohnG

that movement is $85 on Esslinger, agreed, Josh can't be selling gen movement, hmmmmm. At least he has correct spacing, I at least want that. I sent her pic and link of Josh's, that is what she quoted me, even sent back Josh's price and hers for comparison....

Still waiting for a reply, but of course it is the weekend.

alphakazi
that movement is $85 on Esslinger, agreed, Josh can't be selling gen movement, hmmmmm. At least he has correct spacing, I at least want that. I sent her pic and link of Josh's, that is what she quoted me, even sent back Josh's price and hers for comparison....

Still waiting for a reply, but of course it is the weekend.

actually, I think he could be John - considering what the factory buys this movement for in quantity... taking a wild guess.. $40 each?

*just checked Joshes listing again, it says :

Movement: Swiss Eta Working Chronograph Quartz Movement

Same Specs as the Genuine

Functions: Same Functions as the Genuine

no mention that it uses the same movement as the gen - just the same function and specifications... think there is another ETA quartz that is has the same datewheel size? I can't see why - who cares really, I think the dial is the issue

@Col - that price is way off - maybe he mis-priced it, there are a number of quartz with that kinda price