Sign in to follow this  
tommylad

Which Speedmaster Moonie is the better option?

tommylad

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying a Speedmaster Moonie. However, I want a halfway decent rep and, to that end, would like the domed plexi glass.

I have two options: buy the Lemania handwind Speedmaster from Mary for $220 and get someone (I don't know who can do this) to put the new glass on it.

Or I could buy this one from a member on RWI. The caseback engraving has some on the paint coming off and it looks like there is a scratch at 3 o'clock on the bezel. But it already has domed plexi glass.

RWI Speedmaster

Which would work out cheaper?

And is the member seller asking too much considering it is used, has some scratches and some of the paint has come off the engraving?

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers,

Tommy.

KeNnY

I am sorry but 200€ for used watch is just too much.

Email / PM / Contact Robert aka prestigewatchco, he can get you the best one :unsure:

powderfreak

If you go for a new one, make sure you get the version you want (hard to tell from the pictures, sometimes...). There is the "regular" and the "reduced" version, the "reduced" has even more flaws. I have one, but to be honest, despite all those flaws a Speedy is imo a perfect looking dresswatch (and the small one fits perfectly when wearing a shirt with tight sleeves).

tommylad
I am sorry but 200€ for used watch is just too much.

Email / PM / Contact Robert aka prestigewatchco, he can get you the best one :unsure:

I don't suppose that best one has the domed glass does it?

If not, any idea who I can send it to in EU and how much it would cost.

The guy at RWI won't budge much on the price even though I said I could get it quite a bit cheaper form every TD.

Cheers Kenny.

flamagic

As an owner of a Gen, I can tell you that the "moonwatch" is only the Speedmaster Professional with handwind movement (not the auto, reduced or broad arrow). The reps do not have Lemania movements (usually a segull) and the subdial spacing is wrong. The original moonwach has the domed plexi crystal, but the 50th anniversary model has a sapphire crystal and display back. so not all models have the domed plexi. For me, the subdial spacing bothers me on the reps (that's why I bought the Gen). There is no perfect rep, so I wouldn't worry too much. Buy it if you like it and enjoy wearing it. Check with Mary, she may be able to source a plexi crystal to fit (as there is not guarantee that a gen crystal will even fit in the rep..).

My 2 cents...

Dan

tommylad
If you go for a new one, make sure you get the version you want (hard to tell from the pictures, sometimes...). There is the "regular" and the "reduced" version, the "reduced" has even more flaws. I have one, but to be honest, despite all those flaws a Speedy is imo a perfect looking dresswatch (and the small one fits perfectly when wearing a shirt with tight sleeves).

Powderfreak, any chance of a wristshot of the reduced one? Is it based on a gen or is it just a small version of the 40mm model?

Ideally I want one with domed plexi, but not if it is going to be a huge hassle to get it. Is it a case of getting a mod to fit it for you or can an AD do that?

Sorry for all the questions.

g.man
Is it a case of getting a mod to fit it for you or can an AD do that?

...um, no.

regards

g.man

powderfreak

It is just the smaller version of the large one, with the same layout and dial writing. The gen reduced has the subdials changed from left to right.

No idea if a doomed plexi will fit this one (the regular plexi certainly won't)!

imag0482b.jpg

SeanusMaximus
It is just the smaller version of the large one, with the same layout and dial writing. The gen reduced has the subdials changed from left to right.

No idea if a doomed plexi will fit this one (the regular plexi certainly won't)!

imag0482b.jpg

Tis a classy piece :P