Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

RWG1: First attempt at lume!!!

JohnG

Okay, so I took my 10 pound POS which had NO lume, and gave it SUPER LUME, a la JohnG lume-noob extraordinaire!

I had read 50/50 lume powder to clear nail polish. Well, really, it needs to be thinned. It doesn't lay down and spread out with that mix, it it kind of like molasses, but stickier. Stays in a hill where you place it, won't spread out at all. I made a real mess of it from the beginning, thought should I wait, get some thinner? Thought, nah, fuck it, I am going to do this NOW!

I used a tiny screw driver to put it on (they recommend an oiler, don't have one. Should have used a needle maybe, didn't have one of those either. :D

Okay, the best thing I can say about my job is that 1. it is for the most part on the numerals and not on the dial, and 2. is is FVCKING BRIGHT! The worst? It looks like it was put on by a lightning bug with the hershy squirts.

Of course, I began with a fucking sausage dial instead of a sandwich, which wasn't the stupidest thing I have ever done, but close. And I went straight to a watch, when I should have practiced laying this down on the letters on a soda can. And with some thinner.

Anyway, it was a learning experience, and as long as you don't look too close it doesn't look half bad. And the watch is a POS anyway, got it for 10 pounds on the Bay, shipped, from HK, and it turns out it isn't even steel, when I cleaned it once the "stainless steel" started rubbing off an there was this weird copper-and-who-knows-what alloy underneath. So I took it ALL off. Looks unique, that's for sure! :lol:

Okay here are the pics!

Imagen061.jpg

Imagen097.jpg

Imagen098.jpg

Imagen096.jpg

Imagen102.jpg

greg_r

:lol:

Lightning bug with the hershey squirts, huh? LMAO! Well, his aim ain't that bad ;)

Certainly bright enough, though - good first try, mate :D

omni

Lightning bug with the hershey squirts, huh? LMAO! Well, his aim ain't that bad ;)

My first attempt at anything is usually pretty rough. I think this is why I have somebody else do lume for me! Thanks for having the courage to share John. :D

JohnG

When it is not blown up on the screen it actually looks pretty okay. And when it is in a lit room, not noticeable at all - just blends in with the underlying number. It seems fairly clear, in a couple of places where is does slightly invade the dial it doesn't show up when the dial is lit, only when it is luming...

houndoggie
When it is not blown up on the screen it actually looks pretty okay. And when it is in a lit room, not noticeable at all - just blends in with the underlying number. It seems fairly clear, in a couple of places where is does slightly invade the dial it doesn't show up when the dial is lit, only when it is luming...

Dip it into some coffee and now it will have the perfect vintage look!

sconehead

Don't know about coffee...turpentine maybe... :D

Just joking John, practice makes perfect... :lol:

houndoggie

Alright, I may have to buy some Nitolume again and give it a go too. I chickened out last time. Plus, I love sniffing the paint thinner.

pollux1

Nice first attempt John, at least you have the balls to try it mate. Lol at HD too!

alphakazi

damn that glowinc stuff is bright - how does it perform? does it go all night?

good learning experience - how bout some macro shots :D

JohnG

It fades down pretty quickly, but in total darkness can still be seen a few hours later, no problem. But there is no comparison with rep lume, MUCH BETTER.

As to macro, you saw it, old camera, won't get any closer....

JoeyB

It fades down pretty quickly, but in total darkness can still be seen a few hours later, no problem. But there is no comparison with rep lume, MUCH BETTER.

It looked good to me. And, as someone else said, a lot of balls to even attempt it. Well done.

alphakazi

really?! they claim like what? 20 hours?

FBV

brave and valiant 1st try at lume!

thanks for sharing.

Member X

Good first go! I think the extra thinner would have made it easier :D lol

Practice makes perfect though! :D

JohnG
Good first go! I think the extra thinner would have made it easier :frusty: lol

Practice makes perfect though! :D

yeah, no doubt, knew that as soon as I mixed it but was too impatient! :D Will try again today, clear polyurethane thinned...

Member X

Sweet, will look forward to pics!

johnny woozer

Keep on trying!!!!

Soon you'll bee the expert lumer we mis so much on the continent.

JohnG
Keep on trying!!!!

Soon you'll bee the expert lumer we mis so much on the continent.

I don't know about "soon"!

trailboss99

They claim it is still visible after 10 hrs (I think it's 10) not glowing like kyrptonite :lol:

Good try John, not at all bad for a first effort. The thinners you need for nail varnish is acetone BTW. Yeah, you knew that, just checking.

If you use urethane make shure it's not a UV stabilised one. The UV filters in the PU will inhibit the charging of the lume. Go easy on the thinners too. PU thinners may take the paint clean of the dial!

Thanks for shareing your trials and tribulations with the forum. Insperation is a good thing!

Col.

JohnG

They claim it is still visible after 10 hrs (I think it's 10) not glowing like kyrptonite :lol:

Good try John, not at all bad for a first effort. The thinners you need for nail varnish is acetone BTW. Yeah, you knew that, just checking.

If you use urethane make shure it's not a UV stabilised one. The UV filters in the PU will inhibit the charging of the lume. Go easy on the thinners too. PU thinners may take the paint clean of the dial!

Thanks for shareing your trials and tribulations with the forum. Insperation is a good thing!

Col.

Thanks, will get acetone tonight, will skip the urethane for now, good call!