Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

Working, working, working . . .

trailboss99

Been up to my armpits in watches all day myself. Picked up anouther 30+ gens to day, mostly quartz (that's what sells at the markets) so have been changing batterys and de-maging MVTs for most of the day.

Got a nice old Helios and a 1922 pocket watch in the mix I'm working on as well. Helios is now running but far too fast. I'll have another looky in the morning but I suspect the hair spring is all gummed up. There was a pool of dried up oil in the case back! Too much oil is far worse than none at all. The PW is trying but not quite making it so that will need further investigation. Might have to leave that one untill the ole skills are a cpl of notches higher.

Interesting alos the fact that we gave the torture test noob a pressure test. Now this lille bugger has not been touched since being bought 14 months ago but still tested oke down to 4 bar (133 feet) so altho any rep (any watch realy) should be tested before going for a swim even a abused 108 dollar watch is still water tight after all that time and punishment is interesting.

The MVT is about stuffed, it goes thru phases of losing time every now and again so needs a splash and dip to get the crap out of it but that's down to the way it's been treated not the build quality. There is no way I'd put a gen thru what that watch has had done to it. I thought the thinners wash it's had a few times (over spray removal) would have done in the o'rings on the crown tube but nope, it's still tight. I'm impressed.

I'd buy her a nice new ETA clone but I want to clean the 21J and see if it comes good. I'm shure it's only dirt in there cloging stuff up. Amazing how dust still gets in to a water proof enclosure but it does. Oh, and black/smokeless powder residue, welding, paint and 2stroke fumes, house fire smoke and everything else the poor thing has been subjected to :lol:

When I do take her appart I'll be shure to get pics. Everyone loves pics!

I'll try to get down to Mikhall's before then and have him put her on the vibrograph for a before and after comparison. Should be interesting :huh:

Col.

alphakazi

Go for it Col - Looking forward to pics! :lol:

What is this splash and dip you speak of? ultrasonic? I imagine, like a transmission, after time the metal gears/pivots wear and the shavings stay in the oil adding to the friction until there's too much load. A full service sounds overkill for a 21J :huh: - what did you have in mind? Can't hurt much to try just about anything - the DG4318 (28,800) goes for about $20 or so

trailboss99

20 there, 48+ here. May as well spend 80 on a clone. Even a low beat is 28 plus tax.

Splash and dip is a quickie clean and lube procedure involving a special cleaning fluid and a rinse fluid used when a full service just ain't worth it. You can use the ultrasonic or just dip and agitate. I could just replace the MVT but I want to see how well the S%D extends the life of the MVT and how much crap come out of it.

Col.

greg_r

Nice work, Col - I can see our Aussie members could well have an approved watchsmith to go to before long :lol:

Member X

I reckon an ultrasonic bath would clear quite a lot off a movement!

trailboss99
Nice work, Col - I can see our Aussie members could well have an approved watchsmith to go to before long :lol:

Allready got one. I'll just send 'em on to Mikhall. 35 years in the trade, 5th gen 'smith and rep friendly. He'll be doing the work I won't touch from market.

Col.