Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

RWG1: New Homage Forum needs our support!

JohnG

There is a new homage forum started by a member at RG - Patron Saint of Chain Saws (no I never asked about the name) and it needs OUR SUPPORT. They know there is a lot of interest in homages here and I asked if I could promote the site here a little in order to get new members and blood in over there.

I think it is a great idea - and a good thing that someone else did it. Greg has his hands full with this place, but now there is a forum dedicated to this fast growing close cousin of the rep hobby.

I will be posting some reviews there soon, nothing you guys haven't seen. HD is a member there already, has posted stuff, but if you guys have any pics of your own homages you want to share, please join up, or join anyway, and take a poke around.

The url is http://www.homageforum.com/

See you all over there!

John "the Sterilizer" G

houndoggie
There is a new homage forum started by a member at RG - Patron Saint of Chain Saws (no I never asked about the name) and it needs OUR SUPPORT. They know there is a lot of interest in homages here and I asked if I could promote the site here a little in order to get new members and blood in over there.

I think it is a great idea - and a good thing that someone else did it. Greg has his hands full with this place, but now there is a forum dedicated to this fast growing close cousin of the rep hobby.

I will be posting some reviews there soon, nothing you guys haven't seen. HD is a member there already, has posted stuff, but if you guys have any pics of your own homages you want to share, please join up, or join anyway, and take a poke around.

The url is http://www.homageforum.com/

See you all over there!

John "the Sterilizer" G

Yeah.. It has been around for about 6 months, but really has started to pick up a little in the last few weeks (mostly because you and I, John :huh:). Patronstofch... is hixxy there...

Do you know what the attitude for reps is on that board yet???

omni

That's great John. I'm sure a lot of guys at the Affordable Watch Forum on Watchuseek would be interested seeing as they post so many homage watches, including the Parnis, over there. Also, it doesn't carry that dirty connotation in Watchuseek of "replica" which they ban from even mentioning.

AustinTech

I've been over there. Nice place - Saint's done a nice job.

alphakazi

but... we already invested time to get the homages thing going here John (mainly because of you), I have nothing against supporting another forum but we already have http://www.homage-watches-guide.com. You are just the man to head that up too. WE need content, reviews, pics, etc. - I have nothing but respect for anyone who puts in the time to start a new forum but what about here? Maybe some suggestions to get this thing off the ground? I'd be willing to put as much time in as needed. A new forum with links to this one maybe? what?

JohnG
but... we already invested time to get the homages thing going here John (mainly because of you), I have nothing against supporting another forum but we already have http://www.homage-watches-guide.com. You are just the man to head that up too. WE need content, reviews, pics, etc. - I have nothing but respect for anyone who puts in the time to start a new forum but what about here? Maybe some suggestions to get this thing off the ground? I'd be willing to put as much time in as needed. A new forum with links to this one maybe? what?

But that link just leads back here.

This guy got this forum up before we even started thinking homages, he invited me and HD over and I think there isn't really need for TWO. I plan on double posting my "reviews" here and there. I will write up some reviews of my Parnises, and post them in both forums, the subforum here and the forum over there.

I know if we do a separate forum for homages it is not going to do well, hell that forum is pretty quiet and it has been around for six months.

I don't want to run or even mod any forums. I don't think you guys need more work. And why compete with Patron Saint, if he has already put the work in? Our subforum is enough. That's my view anyway. If you guys really want to do it, be my guest. I will join and triple post my stuff - but seems like a lot of redundancy...

iabounty

I agree with both John and alpha. We support our friends and run our own forum our own way at the same time. We have watches and entertainment and you name it going on over here. Are we talking about making a profit now guys??? Perhaps I should just shut up........

alphakazi

But that link just leads back here.

This guy got this forum up before we even started thinking homages, he invited me and HD over and I think there isn't really need for TWO. I plan on double posting my "reviews" here and there. I will write up some reviews of my Parnises, and post them in both forums, the subforum here and the forum over there.

I know if we do a separate forum for homages it is not going to do well, hell that forum is pretty quiet and it has been around for six months.

I don't want to run or even mod any forums. I don't think you guys need more work. And why compete with Patron Saint, if he has already put the work in? Our subforum is enough. That's my view anyway. If you guys really want to do it, be my guest. I will join and triple post my stuff - but seems like a lot of redundancy...

no forum will do well without support :huh: I didn't mean you had to mod or run things - posting content is everything - in depth reviews, dealer lists, throw in some Parnis giveaways, setup some stuff ya know - that is what will attract new blood. I don't think we need a new forum... just an idea I threw out but we could use some input - you know how things get here when we alter anything :Whistle: idk... it would be nice to have it going here at home - eventually we'll be doing reps, why not start the ball rolling with sterile and homage watches first

PatronSaintofChainsaws

I'm a lurker here more than anything, but let me reply to some things...

Thanks for the promo JG. I'm open to suggestions as well, so if any of you have any...

About the name...well what can I say...I use a different name for every forum subject matter, and sometimes every forum that I join. Atleast I didn't use /bin/laden (UNIX joke).

Yeah.. It has been around for about 6 months, but really has started to pick up a little in the last few weeks (mostly because you and I, John :Whistle:). Patronstofch... is hixxy there...

That's a funny story actually. The start date for the board is misleading because I originally started setting it up back in April. Due to various reasons, I didn't actually get the board and DB migrated over to a publicly-accessible host until June, and I officially opened it up to allow joining about a month and a half ago.

Do you know what the attitude for reps is on that board yet???

I want the board to be appealing to those who are not comfortable buying or wearing full-on reps, so use your discression. If reps come up as a topic of discussion (as in "where can I buy one" type stuff), my plan is to simply mention the rep boards as a good source of information on the subject.

Frankens are a perfectly acceptable topic of discussion, as well as highly-modified reps that contain a significant amount of gen parts. If you built it, you can put whatever name you damn well please on it...

That's great John. I'm sure a lot of guys at the Affordable Watch Forum on Watchuseek would be interested seeing as they post so many homage watches, including the Parnis, over there. Also, it doesn't carry that dirty connotation in Watchuseek of "replica" which they ban from even mentioning.

I've been engaging in sheep-stealing of WUS members via PM for the last couple of weeks :huh: WUS has managed to piss off many of its members by banning small manufacturers of homages, blocking URLs, etc. so plenty of Affordable forum and Chinese forum denizens were happy to find another place to go.

Edited by PatronSaintofChainsaws

PatronSaintofChainsaws
no forum will do well without support :huh: I didn't mean you had to mod or run things - posting content is everything - in depth reviews, dealer lists, throw in some Parnis giveaways, setup some stuff ya know - that is what will attract new blood. I don't think we need a new forum... just an idea I threw out but we could use some input - you know how things get here when we alter anything :Whistle: idk... it would be nice to have it going here at home - eventually we'll be doing reps, why not start the ball rolling with sterile and homage watches first

I didn't even know you guys had one going yet. I don't see why there can't be two (it works for the rep boards). The one here would clearly be more rep-centric, but I don't know how well that would work out with the WUS-style guys who get spooked away by full-on reps though.

I know what you mean about content. I've been selling off my reps just so I could afford buy up as many homages as I could get my hands on, soley for the purpose of doing reviews. It's eating up most of my free time right now.

Heck I'm sterilizing an old-school MBW 1680/5513 (one of the ones that accepts gens parts) as a project for the forum. If that's not dedication (and simultanious blasphemy), I don't know what is!

Edited by PatronSaintofChainsaws

houndoggie

I was just kidding about the John and I part....:Whistle:

It will be nice to have some more of the WUS type folk for a fresh prospective over there... I will try to contribute when I can..:huh:

PatronSaintofChainsaws
I was just kidding about the John and I part....:huh:

Credit where credit is due...I owe all of you guys for getting early discussions into gear.

Also, I just VIPed-up here, to show my support for the work you guys have done here. If not for a bunch of anti-gun-ownership posts I saw here early on, I probably would have started posting regularly and VIPing months ago...

AustinTech
I was just kidding about the John and I part....:huh:

Credit where credit is due...I owe all of you guys for getting early discussions into gear.

Also, I just VIPed-up here, to show my support for the work you guys have done here. If not for a bunch of anti-gun-ownership posts I saw here early on, I probably would have started posting regularly and VIPing months ago...

Don't sweat the anti-gun stuff, you gotta ignore the nutjobs around here. Unless they are entertaining you.

omni
Don't sweat the anti-gun stuff, you gotta ignore the nutjobs around here. Unless they are entertaining you.
Clarification: If there were no nutjobs around here, there would be no entertainment.

alphakazi

I didn't even know you guys had one going yet. I don't see why there can't be two (it works for the rep boards). The one here would clearly be more rep-centric, but I don't know how well that would work out with the WUS-style guys who get spooked away by full-on reps though.

I know what you mean about content. I've been selling off my reps just so I could afford buy up as many homages as I could get my hands on, soley for the purpose of doing reviews. It's eating up most of my free time right now.

Heck I'm sterilizing an old-school MBW 1680/5513 (one of the ones that accepts gens parts) as a project for the forum. If that's not dedication (and simultanious blasphemy), I don't know what is!

We don't really at the moment. The sterile/homage thing was somewhat brought about by JohnG and it took hold. We began working on it but a change in our logo stirred things up here and we put a pause on things. I agree, no reason there can't be two and you have a good point about the WUS style players that would have little interest hanging around a rep forum. We'd like to eventually see all types of watches discussed and traded here. One step at a time. All the best in your endeavors Patron. I'm sure we'll be linking to each other as we do with all the other replica fora. Looking forward to seeing your sterilized MBW Rollie.

alphakazi
Clarification: If there were no nutjobs around here, there would be no entertainment.

...and the anti-gun folk call us gun aficionados nutjobs :huh:

phaedo
Clarification: If there were no nutjobs around here, there would be no members.

Corrected. :thumbsup:

greg_r

@PatronSaintOfChainsaws

Good luck with your new forum, and thanks for your support here :D

I understand my colleagues' concerns, but I also see where John is coming from, and I don't have a problem with his post here informing us all of the new board. I'll be sure to drop by occasionally :thumbsup:. I am, however, pleased to hear that he'll continue to post his homage reviews here too. Many people have problems with the concept of owning reps and for those, the new homages forum is an ideal hangout, whereas the more rep-centric folks may well prefer to hang out here.

KBH

:thumbsup: You might say we have a divergence of opinions on occasion. I thought we all loved guns, though. :D:)

JohnG

I love guns, but clearly assault rifles should be banned faster than a RWI troll on RG.

:thumbsup:

sconehead
than a RWI troll on RG.

:D

Carefull John...I resemble that remark... :thumbsup: