Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

TAG Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 8 RS GMT

greg_r

A friend regularly visits Shenzhen on business and occasionally brings watches back. This was, at the time, a new rep not available from our known dealers, so I was pleased to get it. The Cal8 RS is by far my favourite of the Grand Carrera range (to the extent of being tempted to buy a gen), and I wasn't expecting too much of this 21j-based rep, which has since appeared with some of the cheapie dealers for around $90-100.

On receiving it, however, I was pleasantly surprised. The brown dial is extremely attractive, the watch keeps excellent time and the strap is one of the better ones I've had supplied with a rep, being very comfortable.

There are, of course, some limitations due to the extreme cheapness of this rep. Whilst the GMT window is present and correct, it just displays the same hour as the hour hand. In addition, in common with a few other cheapies, the 21jh movement is too basic to drive the two date wheels properly (one for each digit) - the upshot of which is that the watch will happily churn on through 39 days each month unless you adjust it manually. :)

Otherwise, though, it's pretty good for the dough - if you want a Grand Carrera for cheap, you could do a lot worse, but I'll be replacing it if a higher-quality version appears in due course.

Here's the pics:

taggc21j_2.jpg

taggc21j.jpg

oscarmadfish

my fooker is gaing 10 mins a day i think its one for the deepest drawer

greg_r

Damn - that's a shame. Mine is within a few seconds per day - not quite COSC standards, but close enough. I know it's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's not bad for a 'beater'.

Luthier

Damn - that's a shame. Mine is within a few seconds per day - not quite COSC standards, but close enough. I know it's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's not bad for a 'beater'.

Elegant and beautiful.

I'll be in SZ this month, will find it.I brought 12 watches from my last trip to China... this time, maybe 14?

:lol:

bene3

a very nice watch, very classy

jameo210369

She is stunning Greg, I love the colour of the dial and the dial it's self is very minimalist. Pure class.

greg_r

Thanks, Jameo - although to tell the truth it doesn't get a lot of wear. Lately all I seem to wear are my PAMs, my Rollie Deep Sea and occasionally a B&R or the Astbury.