Sign in to follow this  
WatchMe007

3 tick versus 5 tick LV

WatchMe007

I recently picked up a really nice LV from a member and then came across this 3 tick versus 5 tick subject. At first I thought, "Great. Less than perfect." LOL. I know, I know. But I like getting watches that don't have a super obvious "tell" and I was bummed until I did some additional research...

I am totally satisfied with the watch, the seller, and the transaction. I edited this first part, because it sounded like I was not happy with the watch. I AM happy. :-)

My watch is the 3 tick...

3 tick:

DSCN9767.jpg

5 tick:

rolex_16610v_submariner_16610lv_50th_15_LRG.jpg

Some reading on the subject thickens the plot and once again confirms my contention that there is so much variation among gens that pointing to the things we see as "tells" is really silly in most cases.

http://www.rolexforums.com/archive/index.php/t-154484.html

http://www.horologist.com/rolex_fakes.htm

http://www.rolexforums.com/archive/index.php/t-12214.html

So mine is from 2003, obviously. LOL.

sconehead

If memory serves the 5 tick was Z serial on...

edit: lifted from TKF,

The good old LV Sub was around for 7 years and in that time there were 8 different dial variations.

I love these subtle changes by Rolex.

Makes the watches more interesting and also makes them harder to fake correctly.

Here's some info courtesy of http://www.watchblog.dk/rolexinfo.html

Here is the different dial variations of the Green Sub:

Mark 1, Oval 'O', 'R' in 'Oyster' aligned with gap between left and right feet of 'R' in 'Rolex', '5 Ticks', Flat 4 (2003 Issue Models ONLY), From Y966xxx 19 September 2003 To F068XXX November 2003

Mark 1, Oval 'O', 'R' in 'Oyster' aligned with gap between left and right feet of 'R' in 'Rolex', '5 Ticks', Flat 4 (2004 Onwards) From F100000/F110000??? F Serial Late October 2004 To ???????

Mark 2, Oval 'O', 'R' in 'Oyster' aligned with gap between left and right feet of 'R' in 'Rolex', '5 Ticks', Pointed 4, From ??????? To F78XXXX 23 February 2005/F730XXX April 2005/F8XXXXX

Mark 3, Oval 'O', 'R' in 'Oyster' located under right foot of 'R' in 'Rolex', '3 Ticks', Flat 4, From F Serial To DXXX440 2005

Mark 4, Oval 'O', 'R' in 'Oyster' located under right foot of 'R 'in 'Rolex', '3 Ticks', Pointed 4, From D090842 July 2005 To D361XXX 2005

Mark 5, Round 'O', 'R' in 'Oyster' aligned with end of left foot of 'R' in 'Rolex', '3 Ticks', Pointed 4, From D Serial Early December 2005 To ???????

Mark 6, Round 'O', 'R' in 'Oyster' aligned with end of left foot of 'R' in 'Rolex', 'Between 28 & 32 Mins', Pointed 4, From D358XXX December 2005 To Z261804 22 December 2006

Mark 7, Round 'O', 'R' in 'Oyster' aligned with end of left foot of 'R' in 'Rolex', 'Between 28 & 32 Mins', Pointed 4, Serial number On Inner Rehaut, From M Serial August 2008 To ???????

Mark 8, Oval 'O', 'R' in 'Oyster' located under right foot of 'R' in 'Rolex', '3 Ticks', Pointed 4, Serial number On Inner Rehaut, From M08332X Serial 2008 To ???????

Dial font attributes:

It appears there is a correlation between dial font and layout depending on the 'set' used. By set I make reference to the following possible dial combinations ;

a) If the 'O' in the word 'Rolex' is oval (also referred to as 'squashed' or 'wide mouthed') then the positioning of the text 'Swiss Made' is only seen in either '5 tick' OR '3 tick' dials. If the dial is of a '5 tick' type then the 'R' in the word 'Oyster' will ALWAYS align with the gap between the left and right feet of the 'R' in the word 'Rolex'. If a '3 tick' dial type then the 'R' in the word 'Oyster' will ALWAYS locate under the right foot of the 'R' in the word 'Rolex'.

:D If the 'O' in the word 'Rolex' is of standard font (also referred to as 'normal' or 'round') then the positioning of the text 'Swiss Made' is only seen in either '3 tick' dial OR 'Between 28 and 32 minutes' dials. In both cases the 'R' in the word 'Oyster' will ALWAYS align with the end of the left foot of the 'R' in the word 'Rolex'

dingle

editlinkwhore :D

sconehead
editlinkwhore :D

:drool:

Eiderdaus

and not to forget to say.....the mark 1 has 5 ticks...(if you can call it ticks) but they are all smaller and the ususal 28 and 32 are not the limiting edges because swiss made is standing above them, some think that this is a flaw on the noob dial....it isn´t but the you will need the right insert combo for these :rofl:

sconehead

...soooooooooo, all is clear now, yes?

:rofl:

dingle

:rofl:

no. if I ever buy another sub, it will be from eider :P

Eiderdaus

and not to forget the late Z-series with mark 6 have also rehaut engravings

onzenuub
editlinkwhore :P

+1 :rofl: :P :rofl: :rofl:

sconehead

+1 :dingleberry-nemesis: :dingleberry-nemesis: :dingleberry-nemesis: :dingleberry-nemesis:

+2 :dingleberry-nemesis:

onzenuub

+1 :dingleberry-nemesis: :dingleberry-nemesis: :dingleberry-nemesis: :dingleberry-nemesis:

+2 :dingleberry-nemesis:

+3 :P :dingleberry-nemesis: :dingleberry-nemesis: :dingleberry-nemesis:

WatchMe007

:stars:

You made my point WAY better than I ever could.

Unrelated smilie

:P