Sign in to follow this  
tyrantblade

do you tend to go for cheapies or more expensive reps?

tyrantblade

There aren't too many reps that tempt me and I think id rather go for more expensive reps, so far I have one planet ocean rep with asian eta clone (which unfortunately broke and should be with mary by now/on its way back) and it will probably be a while before I get another rep.

graman

Both have positives...I have a few cheapies, but I also tend to buy 1 watch per year...sometimes 2, so I look at something that's a bit more expensive...good quality...etc.

That said, I have a lot of fun with the odd cheapy....they're good value, and a nice way to ease into a potentially expensive hobby ;)

Showa321

I have only bought one rep up to now, well 2 but the second dosent arrive until Tuesday. The first one was pretty expensive I guess, $260. Not as expensive as some but I feel I got a good watch to wear every day. The second watch which hasnt arrived yet is cheaper. I did this because I want to see the difference in quality, then I will know what to buy in the future.

schmooze

These days I only buy quality reps. They get more use. The cheapies just tend to sit around gathering dust.

fletch1971

I have only purchased 2 rep's so far. The first was $288 and the second was $228. I think I will probably stick around this sort of money and I will just have to learn to control myself, otherwise it will get quite expensive. My wife thinks I'm a little obsessed. If only she knew some of you guys here. ;):tease: :yoda:

graman
I have only purchased 2 rep's so far. The first was $288 and the second was $228. I think I will probably stick around this sort of money and I will just have to learn to control myself, otherwise it will get quite expensive. My wife thinks I'm a little obsessed. If only she knew some of you guys here. ;):tease: :yoda:

Yep!...you're in trouble now! :D

That's a good quality watch..I don't pay more than $320...and that one got returned.

Once you're paying for a Concepta IWC Portuguese Chrono or a 3717, you know you're in trouble, and sweating the small stuff.

Reps are supposed to be fun......Not meant to be passed off as gens ;)

markeym3

I have had a few £250 reps hublot ice bang , breitling super avenger , but have been going for $100 rolex deep seas sub mariners, gmt's, omega planet oceans , i feel if you get the good quality cheap ones ( if that makes sense ) and if you like it then go for the better one , it seems though much of the difference in price is in the movement , I'm sure there is more to it .

As far as cheapies go with chrono movements i tend to avoid them a little , due to subdial spacing and function but then the quartz tag grand carrera does not have the ticking subdial (at 6), so its a bit of conundrum , if it looks good its wort a shot , if you dont like it just pass it on ,,, thats part of the hobby ;)

schmooze

That's a good quality watch..I don't pay more than $320...and that one got returned.

Once you're paying for a Concepta IWC Portuguese Chrono or a 3717, you know you're in trouble, and sweating the small stuff.

Reps are supposed to be fun......Not meant to be passed off as gens ;)

I was interested to see what the 3717 was and surprised to see that it's the model I just purchased recently. 2 x Parnis quartz versions from Manbushjie. These cheapies don't gather dust. I was wearing a blue sunburst dial today.

Must----------resist-------------IWC3717-------must--------not----------buy,---------be-----------happy----------with---------Parnis.

fletch1971
Both have positives...I have a few cheapies, but I also tend to buy 1 watch per year...sometimes 2, so I look at something that's a bit more expensive...good quality...etc.

That said, I have a lot of fun with the odd cheapy....they're good value, and a nice way to ease into a potentially expensive hobby ;)

I think the wife would appreciate me purchasing at a similar frequency to yourself Graman.

Hang on for a minute, she has plenty more handbags, earrings, shoes, make up, bracelets, necklaces (I could keep going) than I do, so I might just keep going with a watch or two. :tease:

graman

I think the wife would appreciate me purchasing at a similar frequency to yourself Graman.

Hang on for a minute, she has plenty more handbags, earrings, shoes, make up, bracelets, necklaces (I could keep going) than I do, so I might just keep going with a watch or two. :tease:

Oh really?

Go for it! :yoda:

graman

Reps are supposed to be fun......Not meant to be passed off as gens :tease:

I was interested to see what the 3717 was and surprised to see that it's the model I just purchased recently. 2 x Parnis quartz versions from Manbushjie. These cheapies don't gather dust. I was wearing a blue sunburst dial today.

Must----------resist-------------IWC3717-------must--------not----------buy,---------be-----------happy----------with---------Parnis.

I pulled the trigger with Marvellous Replica tonight, for a 3717.....and a vintage pilot :(

Now I'll have to save for when the aquatimer is available again.....;)

Addict?

Yes.

schmooze

Sell the upside of a watch addiction. Ciggies, booze and mistresses are far more harmful and expensive.

gottahaverolex
These days I only buy quality reps. They get more use. The cheapies just tend to sit around gathering dust.

I second this statement, I used to buy a lot of cheapies and just ended up selling them quickly. I tend to go quality over quantity now and have kept all of my higher end watches. I have way fewer watches but I wear them all regularly and will hold on to them most likely.

fletch1971

That said, I have a lot of fun with the odd cheapy....they're good value, and a nice way to ease into a potentially expensive hobby :tease:

Hang on for a minute, she has plenty more handbags, earrings, shoes, make up, bracelets, necklaces (I could keep going) than I do, so I might just keep going with a watch or two. :yoda:

Sell the upside of a watch addiction. Ciggies, booze and mistresses are far more harmful and expensive.

You're absolutely right schmooze. I gave up smoking nearly 10 years ago now, I work in the wine industry so I don't pay for booze and as I work in the wine industry, I'm not rich enough to have a mistress. ;) Of course I love my wife and would never think of having a mistress. No matter how wealthy I get.

schmooze

That said, I have a lot of fun with the odd cheapy....they're good value, and a nice way to ease into a potentially expensive hobby :nana:

Hang on for a minute, she has plenty more handbags, earrings, shoes, make up, bracelets, necklaces (I could keep going) than I do, so I might just keep going with a watch or two. :nana:

You're absolutely right schmooze. I gave up smoking nearly 10 years ago now, I work in the wine industry so I don't pay for booze and as I work in the wine industry, I'm not rich enough to have a mistress. :lol: Of course I love my wife and would never think of having a mistress. No matter how wealthy I get.

What else can I give up for a few more reps? Eating perhaps. Maybe a diet of in season fruit and vegetables and hunt my own meat. I'll be healthy and have a great watch collection. My new diet starts--------------------------------now.

greg_r

I have a few cheapies that are good enough to get worn regularly - mainly because they don't look or feel like cheapies (21j DSSD, quartz PAM 308 etc...). That said, the majority of my watches are in the $200-300 region. The improved quality is well worth the dough in most cases imho.

ccucco

I always tend to go for the expensive ones... When I buy a rep, I like it to see and feel like a one of my gen's. The closer, the better. And I think we all did so. That's why some of us put gen parts on reps.

ath

Tend to prefer the better 200-300$ versions especially for daily wearers and well known models. Low end sub replicas are easier to spot compared to rare brands/models

mbjoer

I have a mix of not-too-bad cheapies and not-too-fancy not so cheap ones.

One question is: What is cheap and what is expensive?

Part of the answer is to remember the total cost. New strap, servicing, water proofing, AR treatment and re-lume have all from time to time been part of the package for me.

I have yet to buy an Gen part (I do have Gen watches though). To me all the franken projects are too costly and not worth the money.

And some models are so bad that I refuse to call them reps. They scream FAKE.

In other words I look for a middle ground. One where the watch is plausible, the quality good and where my wallet is not suffering. That takes more seaching and time, but I unwind when flicking through fora and sales sites. So all good.

Through that I have built up a collection of about 50 watches, all of which I like in their own way.

Edited by mbjoer

admiralsas

I'd say right now it's about 50/50. I would never get a cheapie quartz for something like a Navitimer or a Rolex but I did get a quartz IWC Portuguese and I gotta say I'm plenty impressed with it. I've gotten tons of compliments on it already and I've only had it for a week. I got this cheapie because I was scared about the seconds at 6 locking on the more expensive models with better movements.

myaz
I have a mix of not-too-bad cheapies and not-too-fancy not so cheap ones.

One question is: What is cheap and what is expensive?

Part of the answer is to remember the total cost. New strap, servicing, water proofing, AR treatment and re-lume have all from time to time been part of the package for me.

I have yet to buy an Gen part (I do have Gen watches though). To me all the franken projects are too costly and not worth the money.

And some models are so bad that I refuse to call them reps. They scream FAKE.

In other words I look for a middle ground. One where the watch is plausible, the quality good and where my wallet is not suffering. That takes more seaching and time, but I unwind when flicking through fora and sales sites. So all good.

Through that I have built up a collection of about 50 watches, all of which I like in their own way.

+1. spoken like a true afflict-ionado

watch.aholic

I gravitate more towards the slightly expensive reps. I don't just want them to try to look like a gen but want some reliable movements too.

Plus when you buy decent PAM's you got to splurge on some decent straps too that don't come cheap. So all in all, my already expensive rep

becomes very expensive. Having said that I won't ever spend a $1000 on WM9's.

jdoe

I always go for the cheaper reps.

In fact I am pretty sure they were all way cheaper than the genuine article.

Inushuk

Looking for the quality reps with the minimum flaws ... Cheapies have to many tells ....

BigBuys

My whole rep collection could only be described as "cheapies" until I joined this forum. I now have four that I consider expensive because they average around $300 each. These are much more enjoyable to wear due to weight, finish and sharper looks. They approach my GEN collection in wearability. Everything is relative. Guys on other forums look at these as cheapies since they have modded and frankened theirs to a point of absolute near GENness.

This also means that I need to get active and sell off my original collection since I do not look at them with the same appreciation as before. The one watch that I might be willing to spend more than $300 is a Rollie. I have three, one of which came from this forum, but all of mine just shout fake at me. I hope that I do not have to pay $1000 to get a Sub, GMT, or DSSD that impresses as the GEN. I doubt that all of my original Rep collection would total $1000 anyway.