Sign in to follow this  
tyrantblade

do you tend to go for cheapies or more expensive reps?

mspangl

I got one cheapie in a collection of 14 watches..

I definitely prefer higher quality reps.

JohnG
Both have positives...I have a few cheapies, but I also tend to buy 1 watch per year...sometimes 2, so I look at something that's a bit more expensive...good quality...etc.

That said, I have a lot of fun with the odd cheapy....they're good value, and a nice way to ease into a potentially expensive hobby :Whistle:

+1

NFleischer

Being that I'm somewhat of a rep hoarder; I never sell them, I tend to go for the better

quality ETA reps when available. I do have a few 21J and quartz thrown in the mix. I like to keep them in the $250-350

range, but I've spent more for a modded rep or one with some gen parts. I hate spending $750 for an A7750 like a HBBB.

tyrantblade
My whole rep collection could only be described as "cheapies" until I joined this forum. I now have four that I consider expensive because they average around $300 each. These are much more enjoyable to wear due to weight, finish and sharper looks. They approach my GEN collection in wearability. Everything is relative. Guys on other forums look at these as cheapies since they have modded and frankened theirs to a point of absolute near GENness.

This also means that I need to get active and sell off my original collection since I do not look at them with the same appreciation as before. The one watch that I might be willing to spend more than $300 is a Rollie. I have three, one of which came from this forum, but all of mine just shout fake at me. I hope that I do not have to pay $1000 to get a Sub, GMT, or DSSD that impresses as the GEN. I doubt that all of my original Rep collection would total $1000 anyway.

Well people seem completely satisfied with the rolex reps bk offers, though more expensive than most high quality reps (good attention to detail, asian eta clone/"swiss" (i hear most dealers cant guarantee swiss eta) eta, feels like a high quality watch, etc) by a fair amount (usually around double the cost of the "average" (to me this would be around $250 to $300) high quality reps)

Showa321

There are $1000 reps?? :/

NFleischer

yes, and higher sometimes. I've seen Gold reps for $5-6K.

I think you'd have to be nuts to buy them. You can spend $2k on a franken -easily.

dingle

Welcome to the world of vintage. :Whistle:

Aren

Welcome to the world of vintage. :)

I didn't really have an appreciation for vintage until you created yours Dingleberry.

:Whistle:

tissotman

High quality for me from now on got a few real nice ones now trying to get rid of all my non eta watches and only want eta or 7750 no more cheap 21 jewel for me

Mystery Shopper

Started with cheapies but now have more refined tastes. Still have a limit of $500 though.

Like most things in life- start with quantity and with age the key is fewer but with quality.

Member X

I've started with a lot of cheapie homages and some cheap reps (most of which were excellent quality) but since I've bought some higher price stuff ($250+) I'm inclined to stay at that level unless a cheapie has quality above its price range! Robert's 21j 42mm Explorer IIs for $129 are calling, for example, as well as a 21j AP ROO... :facepalm::lol:

I think you can buy nice watches at all levels :) so no-one should feel inferior for not spending $300+ on a rep!

Pihlippe

I've been a member for 4 months and has now 9 rep's. :)

The cheapest is $ 50 and the most expensive $ 360 (PD World Timer not recived yet).

I am very interested in watches, but do not care so much if they have small errors against the original.

None of those who look at my watch can see the difference anyway.My own rule is to not buy a more costly watch that I want to lose.

My favorites now are B & R Heritage ($ 75) U-Boat 1001 ($ 99) UN Marine ($ 100) and Breitling SOSF ($ 230)

And more of them to come.....addicted me? naaaa :)

fragzzone

IMO it depends pm the rep, some like the noobmariner people can go cheap and be happy. Others need to be taken at the next level.