Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Bell & Ross BR02

greg_r

This was another Shenzhen special brought back by a friend who does business over there and occasionally brings me a watch back. This version wasn't generally available from the usual dealers at the time. Unlike the cheapies that were around then which ran 21js, this watch sports a 28,800 high-beat 'clone ETA' movement and is, I believe, basically the same as the newly released (at time of writing) 1:1 version.

The BR02 is a large-ish watch at 44mm, and wears about as big as a PAM. The bezel adjusts with the secondary crown and there is a tiny date window at 4 (which my elderly eyes have difficulty reading, I might add). I find the blue dial very attractive and there is some lume, albeit rather feeble. The crystal is mineral glass and there's no AR.

I've no idea what the price of the current 1:1 version is, but I paid around $100 for this direct from Shenzhen - which would suggest that dealers could sell it for around $180 (based on comparisons on other reps). It's a very striking-looking thing, with a nice-quality PVD coating and an excellent rubber strap, which doesn't attract dust.

The 02 is a regular 'weekend watch' for me, working well with jeans, but not really looking quite right with a suit.

br02_1.jpg

br02_2.jpg

br02b.jpg

br02w.jpg

oscarmadfish

oscar likes :)

greg_r
oscar likes :thumbsup:

I figured B&R would probably be your kinda thing... :wacko:

oscarmadfish

what balls and rectums :thumbsup:

greg_r
what balls and rectums :thumbsup:

:wacko:

bene3

nice

looking to purchase this from lawrence, how is the strap on this, and also how is the lume?

greg_r

As I thought I'd made clear in the original post, this isn't the same watch as Lawrence sells - it has a high-beat 28,800 bph movement (Lawrence sells the 21,600bph version) and appears to be the same as the 1:1 version that Josh sells. I got it via a contact in China. The lume is there but weak/short-lived. The strap, however, is excellent. Lawrence's 21j version is fairly similar (I picked one up for a friend shortly after getting this one), but the rotating inner bezel is rather loose (as is the crown to adjust it) and there's no lume.

thor

Couple things i noticed- that little orange circle piece of rubber on the side of the watch case at 9 o'clock - it looks to be non-translucent? Is that correct? I've been checking out this BR02 rep for about 8 months now on the forums, this is the first one I have seen in which the orange rubber part appears to look the way it SHOULD look, which non-see through plastic. Your orange/white triange at 12 o'clock looks really much better than others I have seen. I wonder if the factories are improving as time has passed since the first 1:1 version came out at the beginning of the year?

greg_r

Welcome aboard, thor. Yes, the HE valve surround is non-translucent. This isn't a new rep, though - it pre-dates the so-called 1:1 versions that our dealers are currently selling (a friend brought it back from China for me back in around August/Sept last year).

I haven't actually seen exactly this version advertised by any of our dealers, but there is/was a cheapie version that looks almost identical (I bought one from Lawrence for a friend a while back - it looks very similar to mine, but it has a 21J low-beat movement, no lume and a rather loose inner bezel - still nice though).

sconehead

Thor? didn't he used to be on RWS?

@ Greg, I think that B+R looks all wrong imo...you should unload it on the first sucker that comes along...did I mention my middle name? :P

greg_r

Yeah, I know - it's crap. I should sell it.

But I'm not going to. :P

thor

@ Greg, I think that B+R looks all wrong imo...you should unload it on the first sucker that comes along...did I mention my middle name? :DeadHorse:

I'm a different Thor. Guess it might be a common handle name... Comic book character, short, easy to type.

greg_r

@ Greg, I think that B+R looks all wrong imo...you should unload it on the first sucker that comes along...did I mention my middle name? :DeadHorse:

I'm a different Thor. Guess it might be a common handle name... Comic book character, short, easy to type.

hehe - that's what I figured. For what it's worth there have been two previous "Thors" on the boards. One a very well respected old-timer who used to hang out on the original version of this board (and others), but is no longer around - the other a "me too" character who was admin on a short-lived watch forum last year and who appeared to be using the name in an attempt to give himself some credibility (which tactic failed dismally, but I digress).

We're well aware that you are neither of the above, so apologies for any confusion - I only mention it so you know the reasons behind my friend's comments :boobies:

Good to have you here btw :boobies:

watchwing

hehe.WHy this subforum is so quiet.

graman

@ Greg, I think that B+R looks all wrong imo...you should unload it on the first sucker that comes along...did I mention my middle name? :)

I'm tho thor I can hardly pith.....