Sign in to follow this  
ekho

A7750 vs Valjoux 7750

ekho

From the various threads I've read around here on the A7750 (and there are quite a few), I get the idea that the A7750 is a "clone" of the ETA Valjoux 7750 movement. But one thing I don't get and couldn't seem to find an answer on yet is if the A7750 is a "clone" of the gen movement, why are the gen parts not interchangeable with the A7750 like some of the other clone movements?

Could anyone enlighten me?

MrZoSo

The A7750 is a lump of crap compared to the gen. Much different material used in the build.

ekho

You get what you pay for, I get that part.

But if the movement is a clone of the real thing, shouldn't the dimensions of the gears be the same, and if so, shouldn't you be able to swap gears and parts regardless of the materials used in the build?

MikeMcNair

But if the movement is a clone of the real thing, shouldn't the dimensions of the gears be the same, and if so, shouldn't you be able to swap gears and parts regardless of the materials used in the build?

Some, not all.

Distinct

Clone in the manner of someone copying a suspension design, no parts from the double wishbone suspension of a 1992 Honda Civic will fit any Alfa Remeo with the same double wishbone. The individual wheels might be different in size and shape, they could be slightly different distances between other wheels and the angles might be slightly off.

Luthier

No, A7750 isn't an exact clone of Valjoux 7750.

ekho

Clone in the manner of someone copying a suspension design, no parts from the double wishbone suspension of a 1992 Honda Civic will fit any Alfa Remeo with the same double wishbone. The individual wheels might be different in size and shape, they could be slightly different distances between other wheels and the angles might be slightly off.

Got it. By clone I just had the idea they were identical copies, with the exception of the materials and craftsmanship.

I have a Tag Carrera Chronograph with A7750 from Mary. Love the watch. Looking to take it to the local watch smith to see if he can service it. No matter how much I wound it, it stops running after 16 hours. Hopefully the local guy can do something about it.

Edited by ekho

jcagara08

Cost cuts and Bad Copying..

Look at apple, they are best Copiers..

Hence we need the BEST Copiers..

Not NOOBS LOL

jcagara08

maybe someday this movement will sell like pancakes and we'd be wholeselling this frigging movement..BTW I'm wanting one but I want it cheap and not broken to be bought and FIX (some sites offer these btw, meh)

jcagara08

seems like only a few of us are interested of this A7750 or even the GEN 7750 Valjoux

hmmmmmm

offshore
No matter how much I wound it, it stops running after 16 hours. Hopefully the local guy can do something about it.

Hopefully the local bloke is smart enough to either give it straight back, or just throw it in the bin.

It is the absolute BEST its ever going to be right now...aka its still running!

Just buy a new ETA 7750, or give up buying chrono reps. You only have mucho heartache coming otherwise.

All Chinese chronos are absolute crap at this point in time.

Don't waste your time or money.

O/S

ekho
No matter how much I wound it, it stops running after 16 hours. Hopefully the local guy can do something about it.

Hopefully the local bloke is smart enough to either give it straight back, or just throw it in the bin.

Went to a local watchsmith today, and that's pretty much what he did. Nice Swiss chap though. I told him I have a replica and wanted to know if he could service it, he said he didn't want to touch anything replica (with a tone of disgust). But after chatting with him for a bit, he caved and took a look through the crystal backing. Identified it as an A7750 right away and said it's surprisingly well made as a replica. He told me he serviced one before awhile back, tried to stick some ETA parts in it. Eventually got it working, but vowed never to touch another one again.

Oh well. But even though he wouldn't service my rep, he was genuinely passionate about watches and I could tell he's pretty proud about that too. Could be just his Swiss accent though.