Sign in to follow this  
Member X

Ever-changing tastes?

Member X

Well, when I was first pointed towards RWG.cc, I was thinking about getting a new watch for a 'big' birthday as I'd had one for my previous 'big' birthday years ago, and I figured that it would be nice to get something a bit more grown up and also nicer.

So, after looking around, I was tempted by the plain dial BPs. I found Schuhren.de and erkahund (on ebay) and I was all set to pull the trigger on a custom build, but it did seem a fair wedge of money for something that I wasn't 100% sure about.

I held off in the end (I felt bad because the Schuren guy was super helpful and I had virtually said yes :() because I couldn't be sure I'd get bored of it. And with only a limited budget, I quite fancied having at least a couple of watches rather than just one - the BPs were nice but I'm not sure I could pull them off in all social situations...

In the end my tastes changed to something more formal and classic, and I went for the IWC Portuguese 1939 that was reviewed so well on RWG.cc. I still had enough left for another watch (or maybe two) so I was happy :(

However, after I had ordered it, a post by a n00b highlighted that WM9 was now taking full (but reduced) price pre-orders on the SD. It was only then that I realised exactly how good the WM9/BK stuff was, and having always hated Rolexes for how cheap they could look/what the stereotypical owner was like/how overpriced they were, I realised that I actually liked the classic looks of the sub and SD - so I put it all on black and blew the rest of my budget on a pre-order!!

Since then my tastes have varied back to the BPs that are around, which led me to get the Sterile Dial homage from ebay, and also more into dress watches, which is why I got the Parnis.

Now, having always hated cali dials, I'm lusting after cali dial watches, and am gutted I missed out on the ebay ones last week! LoL

I hate putting all my eggs in one basket and committing to only one option, so I'm beyond glad that reps and homages bring a range of good looking watches into my price range that I would never otherwise be able to afford as Gens. I don't think I could choose just one watch now I'm aware of what's out there - my eyes have been opened, much to my wallet's dismay!

So... I'm not really sure where this post is going...

Just to say that if I had not been guided towards reps and homages, I would be a very unhappy man. All the mainstream manufacturers churn out the same boring, uninteresting quartz drivel at the price point I'd be looking at - I thank everyone that's helped me expand my knowledge and spend my limited budget wisely! I hope to be around here for a long time :)

greg_r

Cool - glad you're enjoying the hobby.

When I first started collecting years ago (back in 2002-ish), it was Rolex I was interested in - and, in my case, only Datejust or Day/Date models. I bought several but found myself with one I liked more than the others and ended up wearing it until it wore out. When I returned to actively collecting again, I started out with Rolex again but got sidetracked with Vacheron Constantin, then Panerai via a range of other makes.

I think it's only natural that one's tastes change and mature as we learn more and get further interested in the wide variety of timepieces there are. I still like my Rollies, but for now it's Panerai (and Panerai homages) that really interest me. Who knows what it'll be next year? :(

P_Diddy

I'm getting my first PAM 111h but still wondering what all the fuss is about, might consider getting a Ferrari 008.

Have not come down with PAM fluenza yet :(

Cool - glad you're enjoying the hobby.

When I first started collecting years ago (back in 2002-ish), it was Rolex I was interested in - and, in my case, only Datejust or Day/Date models. I bought several but found myself with one I liked more than the others and ended up wearing it until it wore out. When I returned to actively collecting again, I started out with Rolex again but got sidetracked with Vacheron Constantin, then Panerai via a range of other makes.

I think it's only natural that one's tastes change and mature as we learn more and get further interested in the wide variety of timepieces there are. I still like my Rollies, but for now it's Panerai (and Panerai homages) that really interest me. Who knows what it'll be next year? :(