Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

Pam exploding crystals.

JohnG

So I got all the pieces for my Mini Fiddy just before my Gf showed up, put it all together, (harder than I thought, never realized that you have to size the stem for the crown, duh). That night, as I slept, the fucking crystal exploded. It broke in a single round piece and left glass all around the inside of the bezel.

Jackson doesn't have sapphire for these, so I just got another mineral crystal, I imagine the chances of it happening twice are slim to none, but what a fucking bummer, couldn't show off the watch to ANYONE and it is the BEST watch I have owned so far, PURE SEX!!!!!! No one has ever had a Pam as cool as this.

Anyway, I also had to order a crystal press, so getting some good experience. Also, when I was putting it together, I didn't realized the keyless works screw is already loosened, so I loosened it 1.5 turns and, suddenly, a couple of pieces fall off! FUCK!!!! And to get one piece back in I thought I should loosen another screw, and three more pieces fall off (little tiny fucking wheels and a spring and some kind of plate). FUUUUUCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

But I got online, looked up the 6497, found a good diagram that shows assembly steps, and got it back together and working properly. Cool! Sized the stem, took about seven or eight cuts, got it right. Cool. Got the dial on, cool, hands, check, movement tabs screwed down, check....

Anyway, next week hopefully the crystal will come and the press, and I will have a camera by then I hope and then we will get you guys some pics of the absolute best Pam homage that has EVER existed.

Stay tuned!

houndoggie

I hate when that happens...

Member X

This better be good now you've built it up so much :) LoL

Bugger about the crystal though but well done for sorting it!

I want to get the parts together and have a go myself so I can get some skillz and do some custom stuff to my own taste for cheap, but I is scared... :) lol

greg_r

Shame about the crystal - hopefully that won't happen again.

Cool about the movement though - that's how you learn to do these things. Well done in getting it all back together and working properly!

houndoggie

Hey John, can you link to the keyless diagram.. I am going to do some surgery myself.

JohnG
Hey John, can you link to the keyless diagram.. I am going to do some surgery myself.

Its on Pugwash's site - I found it on google:

http://pugwash.info/eta/6497/6947.html

mtt.tr

what a fantastic animation that is really helpful

houndoggie

Did you disassemble the whole movt, or just the keyless works??

AustinTech

huh...keyless?

My wife's car is keyless. Nice...

JohnG

Did you disassemble the whole movt, or just the keyless works??

The pieces I accidentally disassembled:

Winding pinion

setting lever

yoke

yoke spring

setting wheel

intermediate setting wheel

minute wheel

setting lever jumper

Member X

Not much then... :) lol

JohnG
Not much then... :) lol

That's why when it happened I thought "FUCK!!!"

But with the diagram it went back together fairly easy. Wasn't as bad as I thought.