Sign in to follow this  
JoeyB

Install a Glide-Lock clasp on a GMTII Retro

JoeyB

My favorite watch is the GMTII Retro. I just came back from Hawaii and wore the GMTIIc the entire two weeks, and I do love it too, accuracy and easier to read for these old eyes, but the black/red Retro just is a smidge better looking to my eye.

My complaints about the GMTII Retro are in the bracelet. I've never liked the cheap, stamped clasp, and the Retro uses hollow mid-links rather than solid. So, when I bought the new DSSD I held it up to the Retro and thought it might be close enough to fit or modify slightly to fit. I ordered a Glide-Lock clasp from Mary, and it came while I was away. Got home to some new toys waiting!

It fit perfectly, no mod required at all. The watch now feels heavier, but more solid too. The adjustment is a dream. While the watch is on your wrist you use one hand to adjust, and the adjustment seems to be about a full link. In the warmth and cold expansion and contraction going from a/c to outdoors, this is really the only way to fly. It really is just what I was looking for.

Now if only I could find a bracelet that fits with solid mid-links!

Nice and smooth inside.

GL5.jpg

Much nicer looking than the stamped steel clasp.

GL1.jpg

The quick adjustment, open the clip and pull up on the center of the clasp.

GL2.jpg

Pull the bracelet and the hidden link slides out to wherever you lock it in by pushing back down on the center.

GL3.jpg

The diver's extension. So, if I ever travel to visit a Brit, and he had big, hairy ape arms, he could still try on my watch. Not that I'd trust him with it.

GL4-1.jpg

Not the same design as the original, but I think it fits in well.

GL6.jpg

houndoggie

I love the glidelock clasp.. what does Mary charge for these?

sconehead

Looks like a nice practical mod Joey, what did the the clasp run you?

I didn't know Greg had big hairy arms... :spank:

Re- the solid mid-link bracelet, I know the TWB GMT and Subs (I own one of these) had them. Also the WM9 V1 Subs, ask the dealers, someone will have one. PT used to have the WM9 V1's and Hont has TWB Subs. I'd ask Robert as well...

JoeyB

Not exactly cheap. $45 shipped. My first rep cost me $25. :spank:

houndoggie

Not bad.. It is worth it..

Who is the lass in your avatar? She looks familiar.

JoeyB
Looks like a nice practical mod Joey, what did the the clasp run you?

I didn't know Greg had big hairy arms... :spank:

Re- the solid mid-link bracelet, I know the TWB GMT and Subs (I own one of these) had them. Also the WM9 V1 Subs, ask the dealers, someone will have one. PT used to have the WM9 V1's and Hont has TWB Subs. I'd ask Robert as well...

The problem with the other model's bracelets is the solid end link on the Retro. I tried one and it didn't fit at all because of the holes, so I tried to change-over the end links. I asked if anyone knew how on the old site and two of the others, none came back. So, I heated it and pulled it apart with a whole;e lot of effort. It is held together with pins and pressed. The pins didn't line up, one had 3 pins per side, the other had two, so I stopped there.

JoeyB

Not bad.. It is worth it..

Who is the lass in your avatar? She looks familiar.

I think so, and besides, I told Mary to put half on sconey's next purchase, and half on Luthier's. Works for me.

She is the first hot, naked red-head I found on-line that the banner would make site legal.

AllergyDoc

A mix of old and new...

Nice for us old guys who're puffing up and shrinking all the time! :spank:

JoeyB
A mix of old and new...

Nice for us old guys who're puffing up and shrinking all the time! :spank:

Lol! I hold my arm up on the window sill in the car and the a/c vent blows right on it. It's really amazing that after about an hour my watch is two full links too big!

AllergyDoc

Mine's not so bad since I improved my diet. I don't know if it was the salt, or me just not being so fat.

That glide-lock clasp is the best, though. Every watch should have one. (Leather bands excluded, of course.)

JoeyB

I don't use salt, preference-not for health reasons. I had to gain weight for a job, and am now taking it off. I really like this clasp, and it does make the watch feel very solid.