Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

DSSD V3 bezel mod

AllergyDoc

While I really like my V3 DSSD, the wimpy bezel numbers and minute markers always bothered me. I liked them more than V1, which I owned, and V2, which were too thick, but they still looked lousy.

Enter gioarmani's excellent tutorial on how to mod the V3:

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=56...;highlight=DSSD

The dial doesn't bother me and I don't plan on swimming with it, so I just painted the front and back.

Here's the before:

3292278124_79b72ba1da_o.jpg

Here's the after:

3863048627_3e91edc0e3_o.jpg

The triangle around the pearl needs to be redone. I'll have to get a smaller brush because it turned out like this after three tries. <_<

The gen, courtesy of panerista1979 on RG:

img1105g.jpg

After painting the bezel, mine is definitely closer to the gen, even though my numbers are too white.

I forgot to photograph the case back. One Rolex crown didn't take the paint. The rest did.

Lastly, I gave the bracelet the bike-chain-lube treatment, which gives it that buttery-smooth feel and a nice shine.

Worth it or not, it's got to be one of the cheapest mods: $2.75. And I have enough paint to do 5,000 bezels.

The wristy:

3863831802_d4a3870322_o.jpg

Edited by AllergyDoc

JoeyB

As you know, I bought the V3. I think your mod does make it look better. I've got the 21j movement and haven't been able to regulate it. I think I'd just as soon sell this one and buy a V4 or whatever is the latest with an ETA. I know the clasp alone is worth $45!!

AllergyDoc

V5 is the newest. It's the most gen-like.

R2D4

Hi Doc,

It looks great and following Gio or Cbr, your bound to save a bunch of time doing this type of mod. One question I have is if you redeux it, I would imagine you have to use a paint remover so does the pearl have a chance of getting some wash from seepage. I know that sounds like an old man question who wears depends but I am just curious to see if that pearl is enclosed from the back. Are you following me on this camera guy? :)

hk45ca

doc, the gen has grey platinum markings on the insert just like my gmt2c. i had my gmt2c laying on the counter next to one checking the size difference and the color is identical, it's not a light silver, the picture is making it look lighter than it actually is..

AllergyDoc
Hi Doc,

It looks great and following Gio or Cbr, your bound to save a bunch of time doing this type of mod. One question I have is if you redeux it, I would imagine you have to use a paint remover so does the pearl have a chance of getting some wash from seepage. I know that sounds like an old man question who wears depends but I am just curious to see if that pearl is enclosed from the back. Are you following me on this camera guy? :D

I think so...

Maybe not. :)

I don't know if the pearl is closed on the back or not. I plan on getting a straight pin and a magnifying glass and applying the paint very carefully.

R2D4
Hi Doc,

It looks great and following Gio or Cbr, your bound to save a bunch of time doing this type of mod. One question I have is if you redeux it, I would imagine you have to use a paint remover so does the pearl have a chance of getting some wash from seepage. I know that sounds like an old man question who wears depends but I am just curious to see if that pearl is enclosed from the back. Are you following me on this camera guy? :D

I think so...

Maybe not. :)

I don't know if the pearl is closed on the back or not. I plan on getting a straight pin and a magnifying glass and applying the paint very carefully.

So your not removing the old paint layers then, right? I'm not saying that's good or bad, just curious, you know me. ;)

Massimo

No doubt about it being worth it I'd say, it looks much better and closer to the gen. Nice job.

AllergyDoc
So your not removing the old paint layers then, right? I'm not saying that's good or bad, just curious, you know me. :D

Not removing old paint. It's not really old. It was just put on. :)